Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rule 2.3.5

mildot1

The way I understand this is. The Range Master tells when to bag targets and when to unbag. It is NOT up to the stage RO's to make the decision.

I have seen this come up at several matchs where a squad on one bay was shooting bagged targets and the next bay were not.

I expect to hear the order to bag or unbag come over the radio or personally informed by Range Master.

I don't think that anyone likes to shoot bagged targets but the amount of time they are bagged should be consistent across the board. If you have to you have to but why when the adjacent stages are not?

Am I right or wrong?

Mildot

You are right. It should be called across the match.

BUT, even that is flawed because many have already shot the stage you are on and targets may or may not have been in the same bag status. Just like a later stage might give you an advantage if it has been bagged for every other squad but gets unbag fed for you.

What if it's a brief shower and you are on an all steel stage followed by chrono? You never shot a bagged target!

It's flawed any way you go but it's worse if RO's decide when to bag unbag

Right about the rule, but wrong about everyone having to shoot at bagged targets. If the targets are under cover and don't have to be bagged, some people won't have to shoot at bagged targets. I experienced this at a section match, where due to a brief rain, targets were bagged for roughly the duration of one stage. The stage I was on had its' targets under cover, so no bags were applied. All steel stages will be similarly unaffected. All fair, according to the rules.

Also, if the match is shot in different sessions over different days, some may not have to deal with rain at all.

There's also no recourse or ability to appeal if the rule is not followed on a neighboring stage, other than general RO discipline through the RM or NROI.

The message I get from reading the rules is basically that a transparent bag or shooting in the rain does not create a competitive inequity in any way, so I should just suck it up and keep shooting.

Edited by afoulk

So it appears that we agree that the call for bag or unbag should be given only by the RM. And it seems that we also agree that even following that method there are going to be some competitiors that may not have to shoot any bagged targets while others may shoot several stages bagged. Although it wasn't stated I believe that no one likes to shoot, score, or paste bagged targets even though it is going to happen to everyone eventually if you shoot many matches.

I guess I will continue following the rules and will bag or unbag as dictated by the RM in order to keep it as consistent as humanly possible.

Mildot

This is one of those "shit happens" moments, I think. You can't control where you are in a match. If you're on lunch break and everyone else is shooting bagged targets then they get unbagged, everyone but your squad has shot bagged targets. That's no one's fault.

The same argument can be made about multiple day matches where there's perfect weather on one day and horrendous downpours the next.

Edited by spanky