Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stripped C-More holes

Mass38S

Built a new Steel gun about a year ago with a C-More serendity. Found out at a match (figures) that the screws were loose. Well... the screw holes in the dust cover are stripped. I could put a new mount on and modify the serendipity, or I could drill and tap bigger holes? If I drill and tap bigger holes (current are 6-40)

am I going to compromise the strength of the dust cover and/or mount? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Ever heard of a helicoil?

helicalins.gif

"..Repair threads with these corrosion-resistant coil inserts to restore parts that would otherwise have to be scrapped. Once installed, each spring-like coil expands to permanently anchor the insert. These inserts provide a smooth free-running thread..."

Oops, the title was stripped CMore holes. I thought he meant the dust cover on top of the C-More module itself. I see he means the frame.

The 6-40 holes are .113" dia. The next size up ANSI would be 8-32 which is .136" dia. I suppose there's a metric screw somewhere in between? Let's see...3mm is .118", that shouldn't affect strength at all. Drill the holes to 3mm and run a M3 x 0.5 tap through them.

92010A112L.GIF

Hi Tdean

IIRC you'd need to drill the holes with a 2.5mm drill to tap a 3mm thread.

Remember with metric to take the thread pitch off the diameter to get the size of the drill.

EG: M3mm tap with a .5 pitch , 3.00-.5=2.5mm drill needed

M4mm tap with a .7 pitch , 4.00-.7=3.3mm drill needed etc

Also I think you'll find that the 6x40's are already twice the size of the 3mm tap

Weld/silver solder it up and start again <_<

I had this trouble continually with my open guns till I had my gunsmith braze a pad of thin steel on each side of the dustcover. The extra thickness let me have more threads and they never have stripped again. The pads look like they are about 1/16 to 3/32 thick and are on the sides of the dustcover permanently. You will have to thin the c-mores legs by about the same amount, but that is not too hard with a file and/or sand paper. Or you could just use the c-more mount for the sti as the legs are thinner. Good luck.