Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many 650 owners having powder check doing 223 having problems

Yes, me too. Works perfect with all the pistol calibers i am loading. When i got into reloading. 223 I was having a hell of a time getting it set to where it would not go off or just churp when set, would take the case and weight the powder, perfect charge weight was dispenced. So I watched it as I cycled the press, this is what I found with mine:

1. The brass tip on the 223 size rod was not running true to the upper peice that trips the switch. This caused the brass tip to drag and give a false trip as it went into the case mouth. Much more clerance on pistol brass.

2. The brass tip is champfered and needs a greater transition from the tip to the sides. Will help the problem #1. Still want as much of a flat tip as posible so the tip does not become a speer and plunge into the powder at a radom depth.

3. I do not sort my processed brass by head stamp. So case volume is going to influance powder height in the case. Same problem with small pistol brass, just not outside the "V" groove adjustment.

Solutions: Ideas that I have thought of but, have not tried because my lathe is in storage.

1. True the runout of the brass tip to the aluminum "V" block. The tip has to inter the case mouth as centered as possible and not drag on the sides.

2. Round the chamfer on the side only if needed after fix #1.

3. Make a new aluminun "V" block with a longer "V" groove that will fit the high low average of the mixed head stamp brass, but will still catch a gross powder error.

Sense I can't fix the problem I took the powder check rod out and loaded on. Just weigh my charges more often. I like the added safety the powder check gives with pistol loads, and will have it on my rifle loads ASAP.

Using mixed 223 (or 308) brass you will be hard pressed to get the powder check to work as advertised. My suggestion is to look in each case as you place a bullet for seating. I trust a visual much more than a powder check die, but that's just me...been doing it for years with no problems.

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

Powder Check works great for me. It is flawless for same-headstamp brass, and works fine the vast majority of the time even with mixed brass. The trick is to modify the sensing tip so it passes through the narrow case neck more smoothly. Chuck the tip up in a drill press and shape it with a file/abrasive paper to match the profile below (original on the left, modified on the right):

DillonPowderCheckRodfor223.jpg

Edited by StealthyBlagga

I'm with RDA, I've never had a problem with the rod missing the mouth of the case. However, I've made a lot of adjustments due to the mixed case issue. The powder level can vary quite a bit. But the powder check is really there to catch a powder drop malfunction, not to check each loads weight.