Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 .40 cal production?

G17inAL

Creating a .40 minor load fairly common in general. Someone else was just asking the same question on the SIG P320 thread.

I recommended getting a new guide rod and some reduced power recoil springs since the slide should be moving slower and with less force than with the typical .40 load.

You could also wait a little while for the conversion kits to become available for the full sized 9mm.

They run about $300 from SIG but can be had for $240 after the 20% discount for registering for warranty on the SIG website.

Currently .40 and .357 conversion kits are available so I would think that 9mm should be available shortly.

Conversion kits come with a new slide with sights, barrel, recoil rod and spring, grip, and one magazine.

What power recoil spring would you recommend?

Btw....thanks for helping

To confirm, will you be loading minor loads for your .40?

I am currently running a 13lb 1911 spring on my 9mm P320 and like that so far.

For .40 minor I think a 13 or 14 would be a good place to start.

Best bet would be to buy a reduced power calibration kit from Wolff. That would give you a wide range of recoil spring weights to experiment with so you can find the best ballance for your gun and load.

P320 guide rods that accept 1911 recoil springs are available from Gray Guns and from Springer Precision.

Best bet would be to buy a reduced power calibration kit from Wolff. That would give you a wide range of recoil spring weights to experiment with so you can find the best ballance for your gun and load.

P320 guide rods that accept 1911 recoil springs are available from Gray Guns and from Springer Precision.

I actually don't reload....yet

I am looking for the softest .40 ammo that I can get.

Creating a .40 minor load fairly common in general. Someone else was just asking the same question on the SIG P320 thread.

I recommended getting a new guide rod and some reduced power recoil springs since the slide should be moving slower and with less force than with the typical .40 load.

You could also wait a little while for the conversion kits to become available for the full sized 9mm.

They run about $300 from SIG but can be had for $240 after the 20% discount for registering for warranty on the SIG website.

Currently .40 and .357 conversion kits are available so I would think that 9mm should be available shortly.

Conversion kits come with a new slide with sights, barrel, recoil rod and spring, grip, and one magazine.

Hate to bring this up, but I'm not sure that will be legal in Production. Not really sure how USPSA will sort that one out.

Finding minor loaded .40 will require using small loaders as opposed to bigger commercially available ammo. Atlanta Arms used to have a nice .40 minor load. Not sure if they still do. Another option would be shooting it in L10 with full power ammo.

Chuck,

I agree on the caliber conversion not being legal as the rules stand.

I think this is an area that desperately needs to be addressed with the modularity of the P320 as a case and point.

I think Atlanta Arms sell 40 minor ammo. As a reference point my P-09 40 can cycle 135PF ammo - 750fps and 180gr bullet - with either 12# or 14# spring. That's fairly slow. It comes down to feeling you prefer.

Chuck,

I think this is an area that desperately needs to be addressed with the modularity of the P320 as a case and point.

In terms of IDPA?

I picked up a p320, much awaited because of MD laws, hurdles and waits times... About 3 months in total. Not all of it because of MD Law, just most...

post-58796-0-03834300-1426045867_thumb.j

Edited by usa259

Chuck,

In terms of IDPA?

Both USPSA Production and IDPA SSP rules have prohibitions on modifying guns to change calibers. Granted, the process they had in mind is nothing like changing calibers on a P320 where the FCU which is technically the gun is identical across different sizes and calibers of P320. The sad fact is that since there are no caliber markings on the FCU there would be no way for a match official to tell if you bought your P320 as a .40 and later acquired a 9mm conversion kit since the gun would be identical in every way to a P320 originally purchased in a 9mm configuration.

The pictures I posted were my first on the forum. Did they come out okay? Are there tricks, other than reducing pic size in Paint?

They seemed to come out just fine.

I have started using imgur.com to upload and share pictures here. You don't even need an account to upload and the resolution is much better.

• 4 months later...

The USPSA Production list only has the 9mm P320 listed. Are the 357/40/45 not currently allowed? I ask because for the other P models, specific calibers are noted. I have in 9mm and 357.

• 2 months later...

Unless something change last night only the 9mm is on the production list, my son has made several calls to both Sig and USPSA with no postive results as to when the other calibers

will be placed on the list

Let me follow up. This was discussed and I am surprised they haven't been added yet.