Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI DVC vs CK Arms 9mm Open

JAF1680

I started off looking at the DVC open. After doing some research and talking with Chuck at Shooters Connection the CK seemed like a better buy - already having all the regular parts upgraded and gun tuned. It seems all the reasons have been outlined here and I have no regrets about my decision. Took it to the range today and tried 10 rounds of factory CCI blazer (134 power factor) which it would fire but not eject. Then tried my 9MM major test loads (180 power factor) and ran 50 without a hiccup :D

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So after all of your advice I found a good deal on a new DVC in 38 Super. I really like the look and being in Texas like to support our companies. Coming with the 2 mags helped tip the scale. Wish the CK came with mags. I have handled a Trubor and liked the feel. Should have it in a few days at my FFL. I will let you all know how it turns out. Will be shooting USPSA & 3-gun.

gerritm

I've handled and dry fired a DVC limited, own a CK thunder open. After handling both there was really no comparison for me, the CK was better in every way. When I first cleaned the CK I actually cut myself a bit on the frame, they are machined VERY precisely.

So after all of your advice I found a good deal on a new DVC in 38 Super. I really like the look and being in Texas like to support our companies. Coming with the 2 mags helped tip the scale. Wish the CK came with mags. I have handled a Trubor and liked the feel. Should have it in a few days at my FFL. I will let you all know how it turns out. Will be shooting USPSA & 3-gun.

gerritm

Good choice. I love my DVC in 9mm Major.

gerritm

Good choice. I love my DVC in 9mm Major.

Thanks for the support. The deal was good enough that I could buy an extra mag, holster, *thumb rest [generic]*, Aftec extractor, 38S dies, & brass and still have some cash left over compared to the CK. I am coming from a G17 open with a pretty good 3# trigger, so I am sure this will be a definite improvement. Later if I need I can get a trigger job. STI factory is about 3 hours away and I go that way often. We have many local guys and friends that shoot STI's so I am pretty comfortable with them.

gerritm

Edited by gerritm

This is way off topic but...

Actually I built that one. Bought NIB on gunbroker back when our local club shot ICORE. It came with the worst trigger I have ever felt in a S&W revolver. I did a trigger job, cut the hammer,chamfer the cylinder, added the c-more. It has a 5.5lb trigger pull and factory ported muzzle break. It is fun to shoot the 38 super minor rounds thru it. Shooting major PF I could barely eject the 8 round empty moons

Here it is in action https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BwF4mPR0w0

Second half of the vid I shoot the 627

A few pics

20160406_212759.jpg

This is way off topic but...

Actually I built that one. Bought NIB on gunbroker back when our local club shot ICORE. It came with the worst trigger I have ever felt in a S&W revolver. I did a trigger job, cut the hammer,chamfer the cylinder, added the c-more. It has a 5.5lb trigger pull and factory ported muzzle break. It is fun to shoot the 38 super minor rounds thru it. Shooting major PF I could barely eject the 8 round empty moons

Here it is in action https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BwF4mPR0w0

Second half of the vid I shoot the 627

A few pics

20160406_212759.jpg

20160406_212821.jpg

Pic #2

Seems relevant to an STI vs CK thread! LOL! haha

Pretty sure I've held that gun.....

Which one?

The one in your pic on this thread. I may have built it, don't know for sure.

I think I miss interpreted which gun Nox was referring to. You meant the CK??

Seems relevant to an STI vs CK thread! LOL! haha

I know. I know. This is what unemployment, free time and beer in the evening does to a guy...

Edited by Chillywig

So for a new shooter just getting into open, can I ask for some opinion? I do not reload and this will be my only open pistol until I can save all that money again for a second pistol.

What would be the best open pistol to buy? STI DVC or CK Arms? I think I'm leaning to 38 super in either brand.

So for a new shooter just getting into open, can I ask for some opinion? I do not reload and this will be my only open pistol until I can save all that money again for a second pistol.

What would be the best open pistol to buy? STI DVC or CK Arms? I think I'm leaning to 38 super in either brand.

I'm also interested in open div...

I was under the impression you need to reload?

What factory ammo will get you to major pf and work your comp effectively?

I would go with the CK Arms Open Gun. I have an Open Gun built by Bobby at Freedom Gunworks and have another CK Arms Open gun in 9 major that will arrive at my FFL tomorrow. I also have a Freedom Gunworks Limited gun and an CK Arms IDPA Legal 9mm. All of these guns have ran flawlessly and Bobby will work with you if you have any issues with any of his guns. Call Freedom Gunworks and talk to Bobby about his guns. When you call Bobby will most likely answer the phone. He has always been very helpful to me and has answered all of my questions. As far as ammo for your Open Gun it is much better if you reload. There are a couple of places that do make major power .38 Super/Comp and 9 major, but it will cost you $400.00 for 1000 rounds.

I'm also interested in open div...

I was under the impression you need to reload?

What factory ammo will get you to major pf and work your comp effectively?

I would not recommend buying an open gun if you do not reload.

buying loaded 38 super or 9 major will be very costly.

It is also very unlikely that someone will give you their major PF ammo or let you load your own on their equipment.

9 major is tough to buy. No factory ammo will be major and very few remanufacturers will make up 9 major for you.

There are a few more doing 38 super. Atlanta arms and ammo make major 38 super ammo designed for ipsc open guns and it has an excellent reputation. Cost is really the only barrier.

You could go 9mm and shoot minor (just regular factory 115gn 9mm) and save up for reloading gear? That'll get you in the game. Or do the same with the 38 super, buy the aa+a ammo, keep the brass and then start reloading when you can.

If budget is an issue 9 is going to be cheaper.

I'm just a b / c shooter but got the dvc open in 38 super. after I cleaned and lubed it the first time, it has run flawlessly since (4 matches iirc) and I'm very happy with it. BIL just got the ck hardcore open gun and pretty much the same deal and I'm really not good enough to tell the difference. given that, I'd let price and availability guide your choice between the two. as noted above, factory major power factor ammo (ie Atlanta arms) is definitely pricey, but that's what I'm using for now.

I'm just a b / c shooter but got the dvc open in 38 super. after I cleaned and lubed it the first time, it has run flawlessly since (4 matches iirc) and I'm very happy with it. BIL just got the ck hardcore open gun and pretty much the same deal and I'm really not good enough to tell the difference. given that, I'd let price and availability guide your choice between the two. as noted above, factory major power factor ammo (ie Atlanta arms) is definitely pricey, but that's what I'm using for now.

I picked mine up yesterday at the FFl. First impressions. Slide is very tight, fit and finished is very good. Barrel fit looks very good. Wiped it down and applied some Slide Glide and oil to it. Took it out to the range with 100 rounds of Atlanta Arms 125gr major ammo. I haven't got my dies and loader set up.

Came with the 170 & 140 factory STI mags and I bought a 170mm MBX mag. First 5 rounds ran perfect in the STI 140 and at about 10 yards shot 1" to the right and all the rounds were touching. Wow, right out of the box it ran and hit almost point of aim. With all of your horror stories I expected it to completely fail and would need STI CS on speed dial. Trigger is good, but I am coming from a Glock. Probably right around 2.5#.

Ran the 170 STI and MBX and both functioned perfect. Moved back to about 20 yards to do some supported zeroing. Fired 4 shots and they were all pretty much touching, but about 2" right. Walked it it in to bullseye. Shot 5 rounds and all were touching dead on the bull. Ran another 4-5 rounds with the same results. Very happy with that. Gun runs pretty flat, but I need to work the load.

Finished up with some rapid fire head shots with all mags, ran about 80 rounds at 100%. Not a single FTE or FTF. Really think the gun looks great. All in all about 80 rounds. I will be working on a load with HS6, not sure what bullets, yet. Weird to hunt down every piece of brass.

Now, the bad news, it is missing the oversize mag button, guess I have to find one.

gerritm

what you call the "bad news" is normal for that handgun....DVC Open does NOT come with the oversize mag button.....the button is threaded to accept one though

Edited by race1911

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up an Arredondo ext. mag button. Been working on a load for it. Really liked the way the AA major shot so I tried to duplicate it. Found some Everglade 125gr JHP bullets that look very similar to the ones loaded on the AA rounds. They made 170PF @ 1.24 OAL when I chrono'ed them and shot perfect out of the mags and were very accurate @ 20 yards. Not sure on the powder.

Made up about 80 with 8.4gr of HS6 @ 1.24 OAL and they made 169pf average and shot very close to the AA. Very accurate, shot and fed well with no problems out of all mags. Gun shot flat with a little dot bounce, but stayed on target. Going to shoot a match to see how I really like this load.

Also made up some 124gr Bayou's with the same load @ 1.26 OAL and they made about 161PF. Shot a little softer, fed well with no problems.

Ready to shoot a match, but really liking the DVC so far. Trigger is a little creepy, though.

gerritm