Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI DVC vs CK Arms 9mm Open

JAF1680

I was told that Max Michel Jr .. shoots a stock STI Tru Bore.. didn't he win a few nationals ???

No and Yes.

No, Max shoots a custom pistol built by Dan Bedell. It does utilize a Trubore barrel/comp.

Yes he has won a few nationals.

:-)

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tell you what... next time I see him .. i'll ask.. & let you know... I shoot with his father a few times a month... and it depends what you mean by "bone stock".. i'll be willing to be lots of the other custom guns out there are not "bone stock either"...

Edited by cecil

tell you what... next time I see him .. i'll ask.. & let you know... I shoot with his father a few times a month... and it depends what you mean by "bone stock".. i'll be willing to be lots of the other custom guns out there are not "bone stock either"...

geezal Petes! I'm proud of you for knowing him! But to clarify stock gun means you order a gun from an STI dealer and go shoot it as is. And I completely agree with your last sentence that "lots of custom guns out there are not bone stock". Correct, they are custom.

geezal Petes! I'm proud of you for knowing him! But to clarify stock gun means you order a gun from an STI dealer and go shoot it as is. And I completely agree with your last sentence that "lots of custom guns out there are not bone stock". Correct, they are custom.

I'm laughing with you Sarge. By the very description, a "custom" gun is most certainly not a bone stock gun. I'd be really comfortable placing a bet that Max Michel's gun is not a bone stock Trubor.

Ok.. not getting in a " gun description" event with you... but what I meant... about not bone stock custom guns... even after a "custom gun" is delivered.. I bet quiet a lot of them are "ALTERED" after delivery....

at any rate..getting back to the STI DVC..... I still believe at by the end of this year... lots of matches will be won with someone shooting a DVC... care to make a wager on it ???????????

Edited by cecil

Ok.. not getting in a " gun description" event with you... but what I meant... about not bone stock custom guns... even after a "custom gun" is delivered.. I bet quiet a lot of them are "ALTERED" after delivery....

at any rate..getting back to the STI DVC..... I still believe at by the end of this year... lots of matches will be won with someone shooting a DVC... care to make a wager on it ???????????

Lot's of matches? Sure I'll take that bet as long as we agree on what "lot's" means. Lot's to me means half the matches.

Heck I might take the CK - They are now talking delivery times for the DVC - that orders placed this month will have a Nov. 2015 time frame for Delivery. I would actually like to compete in open this year. Our match's here stop in Oct.

Heck I might take the CK - They are now talking delivery times for the DVC - that orders placed this month will have a Nov. 2015 time frame for Delivery. I would actually like to compete in open this year. Our match's here stop in Oct.

Brazos told me probably May or June for the first deliveries.One would have think they would have an inventory started to meet the first set of orders.

• 1 month later...

Hey smoke, here's what Bobby had to say about the fit and finish of the CK Arms guns.

"They are built with the same care. Matter of fact, when the guns are built, we often don't know which ones will be CK and which ones will be FGW guns until the slide machining happens."

3) CK Arms is making their own frames and slides. STI has been making frames and slides for a long long time and have the process down. I fully believe that CK does as well but they simply have not been at it as long as STI. Only you can say if that matters to you.

And STI has known problems, with their slides at least. They tend to crack near the front of the ejection port. Company size and age does not always equal quality.

Hey smoke, here's what Bobby had to say about the fit and finish of the CK Arms guns.

"They are built with the same care. Matter of fact, when the guns are built, we often don't know which ones will be CK and which ones will be FGW guns until the slide machining happens."

My CK Open gun has the same fit, machining and finish as my FGW Limited gun - only difference was I wasn't able make any changes to it like the fully custom one. It was about 95% what I wanted as is and I could have it right away - the price was right and I've been happy with it so far.

• 4 months later...

Kincaid Ross (blazing fast junior shooter) just had a really good run with one here at A2.

that's the video I'm talking about. that kid is awesome.

I just saw a video of him shooting open divison, that kid is a BOSS. Wouldn't be surprised to see his name on some big titles in the future.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ck is way better than the dvc. Especially in the fitting of the slide to frame and barrel fitting

Based on your examination of how many of each? Define "way better"?

I'm open to CK but how about data?

STI has been around a long time... They are the Standard that everybody is shooting for (pun intended).

The DVC looks to be a better from a value standpoint and it comes with two mags... The wait for delivery doesn't seem to be the issue it was since I see some guns in stock plus

chrome, TiNi barrel , comp grip, trigger job, slide lightening, Dawson tool less guide rod and fibre optic front sight on the DVC.

Don't see all of that on the CK? Good Trigger and some slide cuts... and no mags?

Ck is way better than the dvc. Especially in the fitting of the slide to frame and barrel fitting

Based on your examination of how many of each? Define "way better"?

I'm open to CK but how about data?

STI has been around a long time... They are the Standard that everybody is shooting for (pun intended).

The DVC looks to be a better from a value standpoint and it comes with two mags... The wait for delivery doesn't seem to be the issue it was since I see some guns in stock plus

chrome, TiNi barrel , comp grip, trigger job, slide lightening, Dawson tool less guide rod and fibre optic front sight on the DVC.

Don't see all of that on the CK? Good Trigger and some slide cuts... and no mags?

In terms of fitting. Sti factory guns RATTLE This is based on actual experience bec i had 2 factory sti's before, apeiro and edge! Ck also offers tin barrels. Im more on how the gun was made than how long the company is

And by the way, sti barrels are made in korea by dassan and sti small parts are all MIM. CK has a KKM BARREL and all small parts are machined from barstock. So who is better??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by bonglee0507

So regular production guns...not two factory DVC's...

KKM is a known good barrel, no argument.

To me... there is some value to a company that has been around a while. ;)

I could buy a new trigger group( if needed) with the cash I'd have to lay out for a couple of mags.

Still a "push" at best.

So regular production guns...not two factory DVC's...

KKM is a known good barrel, no argument.

To me... there is some value to a company that has been around a while. ;)

I could buy a new trigger group( if needed) with the cash I'd have to lay out for a couple of mags.

Still a "push" at best.

With all the parts i have mentioned and the gunsmithing involved. I would gladly buy two mags maybe even 5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In terms of fitting. Sti factory guns RATTLE This is based on actual experience bec i had 2 factory sti's before, apeiro and edge! Ck also offers tin barrels. Im more on how the gun was made than how long the company is

What do you mean buy this? My STI guns don't rattle.