Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 gun Glocks

Shooter212

In 3 gun do guys prefer lighter pistols or heavy sti edge type guns?

9mm 2011 pistols seem to rule so that must say something.

What I see is that the cool kids and many of the mid to high level shooters run the 2011's so the lesser skilled guys tend to go that route thinking it will help. But there's a lot of shooters from the top level guys to hacks like me who like a plastic gun that can be placed in a dump bucket without worrying if the safety is engaged or not. It really doesn't have much to do with the weight of the gun as much as it does which gun can you shoot the best. I will say that every 2011 I have shot has been flatter shooting than my modified glocks and is easier to hit 2-A's with. But I'm not trying for double A's in 3gun so I don't think that's a huge advantage.

That being said, if I was to inherit a nice Infinity in 9mm I'd shoot it in 3gun, but I'm not willing to pay for one or a lesser 2011 just to have one.

And let's face it, fast split times with pistol isn't going to win 3 gun matches......

I kind of thought a light pistol like a glock would be better for 3 gun since you are running with the gun in the holster. I haven't 3 gunned (yet!) but don't you run around a lot with the gun holstered or do you pick it up and ditch it after use?

And let's face it, fast split times with pistol isn't going to win 3 gun matches......

In amateur where seconds separate the results maybe but in pro it's often tenths of a second. Faster splits could win or lose there. Don't get me wrong. I shoot a g35 in 3 gun and didn't think it was worth it to even get a 9mm barrel at my skill level.

I kind of thought a light pistol like a glock would be better for 3 gun since you are running with the gun in the holster. I haven't 3 gunned (yet!) but don't you run around a lot with the gun holstered or do you pick it up and ditch it after use?

Most stages you'll start with the pistol holstered. Occasionally the pistol will be staged somewhere along the cof.

If I ever get to the level where just my split times are costing me places then I'll feel pretty good because that will mean I have perfected every other aspect of 3gunning!

408711237.jpg

I wish I had a better picture, but they're all on FB, not a picture hosting site. (Top gun obviously. Bottom is my EDC.)

I've been using a G34 for the past 3 years and even through the two years I shot 3GN Pro Series, it wasn't the pistol holding me back.

I like to keep it simple- MOD 1 undercut and stipple was by far the best upgrade to the stock gun. Followed by Dawson adjustable sights. The ZEV trigger is nice, but if it was my dollars I was spending, I'd get just a ZEV connector and spring kit and skip the $200 trigger. Taran Tactical basepads are REQUIRED, and the JP mag well gives a great index point for the lower part of my hand. Other than that- practice is worth more than any STI, Infinity, or Ray-Gun.

Edited by Bryan 45

You asked for pictures so here's mine. G34, gen 3, grip work, slide cut and cerakote by Crucible Armament. Zev heavy magwell, TTI basepads and sights, stainless guide rod, 13 lb recoil spring, and a combination of zev striker, springs, ghost connector and Orange County custom trigger bar for fire control.

post-48487-0-98213700-1426080720.jpg

post-48487-0-08367900-1426080729.jpg

here's my 3 gun Glock...love that I can just toss it into a bucket and forget about it!

G34 Gen 4, ZEV fulcrum trigger, 13# ISMI spring and one piece guide rod, TTi sights and extensions, Dawson ICE magwell, cerakote by BlownDeadLine customs and the grip work I did myself.

post-48412-0-95879400-1426087663_thumb.j

post-48412-0-23334700-1426087758_thumb.j

post-48412-0-01631600-1426087783_thumb.j

Edited by jriggs

I think if I put a 9mm conversion in this it would make a nice 3 gun pistol. The conversion barrel is almost like a bull barrel! Lol

1f085b416852b6626d0397119678af3e.jpg

keep you burgerhook off the bang switch until your peepers are on the hamburgler .......

JPeel, how about some pics that you don't need a microscope to see? Yours are like 4Kb, smaller than the smallest avatar.

Not sure what happened to get them that way. Just pretend that you can see them. It's a really pretty gun :)

Here's some fresh picspost-48487-0-23047000-1426170511_thumb.jpost-48487-0-01584400-1426170559_thumb.j

Edited by JPeel

in reference to above....capacity isn't the end of the world...but if you want to be competitive you're going to need bases that get you the 22/23 rounds in a mag. they plan stages based on that sort of thing and when stages are won or lost by a second or less...you don't want to be reloading pistol mags.

now...before I get all flamed to hell...this only matters if you're actually competing for the sake of beating others...if you're just out having fun...no worries :)

in reference to above....capacity isn't the end of the world...but if you want to be competitive you're going to need bases that get you the 22/23 rounds in a mag. they plan stages based on that sort of thing and when stages are won or lost by a second or less...you don't want to be reloading pistol mags.

now...before I get all flamed to hell...this only matters if you're actually competing for the sake of beating others...if you're just out having fun...no worries :)

This is exactly what I was going to say!! Many stages I have shot at local and national level matches have 22 rounds from a position, where a reload will cost you time. Your choices come down to a static reload, single shot on some paper, or shooting it perfectly!

Would a 9mm conversion barrel in a glock 35 be legal?

Absolutely!! That's what I run in mine and I love it. I have a 35 with a Bar-Sto barrel and it shoots real nice!! Lockup is a lot tighter than stock as well. I love my 35 with a conversion so much, I rarely switch to 40!!