Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shoulder Endurance and Strength Exercise

Malarkey

Shoulder strength and endurance is vital to the sport of shooting. If you have ever spent some significant time at the range or at a match you can definitely notice the fatigue and possibly soreness the next day. Generally a 30min shooting session with constant re-holstering and un-holstering can put a lot of torque on the deltoids as your elbow draws out to the side to grip your weapon. Now imagine this scenario. There is a local match on Saturday. To prepare for this match you dry fire practice Monday-Friday for 15-30min. Hit the range on Friday for a hour to test out your loads and sights. Then run 6-8 stages at your local match lasting 3-4 hours. Sunday you practice what you did wrong for 30min-1hr....you get the point. If you want your body to keep on running you need to make sure you build up the right areas. Your shoulders (deltoids) are activated during every motion in shooting. It is imperative to have good shoulder endurance to maintain and progress to the next level of training.

It's also very important to be gradual and be VERY careful if you are on the older side of 40. I still remember way back when I was very into shooting and started some "strengthening" exercises for shoulder endurance. I soon developed a chronic pain in my right shoulder which the doctor diagnosed as tendonitis.... which took MONTHS of agony before it started getting better.

Anytime you start exercising... proceed with great caution.

Edited by bountyhunter

• 3 months later...

Yes, be careful with shoulder exercises at any age. The shoulder is an incredible joint but can be hurt pretty easily. Usually the injuries happen when someone doesn't warm up properly and then go too heavy, and/or are stressing the joint from angles they shouldn't.