Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Arrendondo UniqueTek Micrometer Powder Bar

On a whim, I purchased an Arrendondo Uniquetek Micrometer Powder Bar, based on some conversations with others. I thought why not, so I bought one.

I have to admit, it is pretty neat. If you have the money to burn and like tinkering with loads or ...... want to quit guessing how much powder is about to drop when you turn your powder bar adjustment. Did I just turn that a 1/4 turn or 1/2 turn... did I turn that 60 degrees or 75?

This thing is very accurate, and very repeatable. I ran a quick experiment on 4 powders that I had previously opened. The letter that came with the powder bar showed some data taken starting at the 0.25 through 6.75 micrometer setting in 0.25 increments. It was mentioned that through quite a bit of testing there is no need in going through such exhaustive testing, the curve is linear. I thought, "yeah right", but I was surprised.

I did test 3-4 points on the micrometer scale and graphed the data with a linear regression and the R square was 0.9999-1. That is a pretty straight line. I set up a little formula in Excel that will calculate the micrometer setting for a desired powder charge.

I don't think this is necessarily a good purchase for a person that has multiple powder hoppers, dedicated reloaders for each caliber, etc... For a person who reloads multiple calibers with the same powder or many powders and using the same powder hopper, it looks promising.

UniqueTek Powder Bar Formulas.pdf

I like how it stays put unlike my dillon knob, which would turn slightly after several rounds reloaded. Not only does it stay put but it's very easy to notice if it does move! Great Product for sure!

My Dillon powder measures have been very stable. I have moved twice in the last 8 years or so. I am using the same load for 40 and the same measure on a 550. It has not wavered. 4.3 grains. Even after being moved. I think that is pretty stable. But I did years ago polish and tune the measures just a bit. My adjustment bolts are pretty snug. I think if it was moving on its own I would investigate how much tension is on the bolt?

My Dillon powder measures have been very stable. I have moved twice in the last 8 years or so. I am using the same load for 40 and the same measure on a 550. It has not wavered. 4.3 grains. Even after being moved. I think that is pretty stable. But I did years ago polish and tune the measures just a bit. My adjustment bolts are pretty snug. I think if it was moving on its own I would investigate how much tension is on the bolt?

I wouldn't suggest you purchase one, if you are not changing loads and it is very stable. I don't know that there would be enough value there for you.

As far as how much tension is there on the micrometer knob? I don't have a way to measure it, but subjectively... not much, it is very easy to turn. Just like the micrometer knob on a set of precision micrometers.

However, like you, I have installed the micrometers on all of my powder bars. Love them, won't ever have another without it.

I have done the same, I am a firm believer in the product and believe it allows you to repeatably dial in your loads based on your powder. My only bit of advice is that on my 650, contrary to the instructions, I prefer to read the micrometer with the numbers oriented correctly on the left side of the press (as opposed to upside down on the left side of the press).

Also, Uniquetek will send you an Excel file to do what you did on your own, you can easily input your data points and it will graph the results.

• 1 month later...

Anyone know where I could get the Arrendondo slide bar without micrometer? I haves couple pounds of AA#5, and have heard this slide bar will prevent the powder leaking.

Direct from Arredondo

CPWSA

double alpha.

Google is your friend

Anyone know where I could get the Arrendondo slide bar without micrometer? I haves couple pounds of AA#5, and have heard this slide bar will prevent the powder leaking.

Direct from Arredondo

CPWSA

double alpha.

Google is your friend

Thanks Sarge! Should have tried a more extensive search, all the vendors that I checked had the $120 micrometer version.