Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pro Custom 18.9 Upgrades and Mag Tuning

CyclicRate

Instead of continuing to clutter some of the other posts, I wanted to consolidate what I've found so far. Hopefully, this is a help to someone.

Trigger

This was easily the worst part on the gun when I got it in trade. The stock trigger is plastic and mine was very wobbly with a sluggish reset. To fix it, I used these parts:

Results:

• I removed the series 80 parts following this tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6H1tUP6IwM
  • The new trigger took some fitting, but wasn't too bad. Check this video out for more information https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76aXF3dWE4w
  • The Gun Craft trigger is far superior to the stock plastic one. I don't have a trigger scale, but other users found removing the series 80 parts yielded a 2.5lb trigger. Subjectively, I would say mine is comparable if not less.

Other Internals

I'm still experimenting with recoil springs, but I replaced the flat recoil spring and undersized guide rod with a standard kit. Additionally, I bought a set of Wolff recoil springs in 9, 10, and 11lbs. I also replaced the light mainspring (supposedly 14lbs) with a Wolff 17lb. The beavertail grip safety was also very wobbly so I followed Marv Z's advice to bend the sear spring leg for more tension which fixed the issue. Lastly, I polished the contact surfaces on the disconnector, hammer strut, and trigger bar. Out of fear, I left the sear alone.

Results:

• The polishing definitely helped with the trigger pull, break, and reset.
  • I'll update more when I get to experiment with which recoil spring weight works best for me.

Mags

These are the parts I'm using:

Results:

• I rounded off the rear edges on the stock followers and smoothed them to get past the resistance point. I followed this tutorial for Glock followers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xRAyzmmcr0
  • I had to flex and bend the basepad insert arms out so they don't point inward. This prevents them from getting jammed on the mag spring and follower.
  • I tried using the blue Arredondo followers, but they would not slide lock. The stock followers seem to work fine even though they do not lock into the extended mag springs.
  • I'm getting 22 or 23 rounds in each mag with this setup. They are slide locking and feeding reliably.
Edited by CyclicRate

That's a great post! Everything you need right there. That is almost exactly how my PC 18.9 is set up except I went on a put an EGW sear in and had tuned to 2#. These are a lot of gun for the money. I just wished Para hadn't fitted the barrel so the feed ramp is so far away from the mag and the feed ramp angle is very steep compared to the Canadian one I have.

Speaking of mag tuning... I've picked up a few early Para 38 Super mags that I'm gonna try to get to run 9mm. I went to the web page that is dedicated to this and have a good understanding of modding the transition point groove. Where I'm baffled is that one mag locks in to My PC 18.9 and the others don't with factory base pads (Magwell interferes). The mags are ever so slightly shorter than my 90's Canadian .40 mags. They almost lock in. I'm wondering if I raise the mag release hole on the upper part of the mag if that will let it lock sooner. Anyone played around doing this?

Your not kidding on the mags cyclicRate !! I can run Sti's but my buddy can't. I'm trying to get some to work for him to have a good supply for 3 gun matches.

I just don't understand why para didn't dump a bunch with CDNN like they did with the .45's. It's got to be worse for the new 16.40's that have just hit the market . Maybe they're holding back to get full. $$ when they get settled in AL?

I was lucky enough to get four with my gun when I traded for it =D I feel like it's certainly hurting the popularity potential for this pistol. I know a few people who have passed it up because the mag availability issue. Anyone know if they still plan to release the lightened slide version in 40?

Man that Tomassi version is the one I wanted ! That's the one with the tri top slide, slide cuts and bull barrel. It's never been released in either 9 or 40. Now that Travis is wearing a Remmington shirt, I'd guess if it does come out it'll be with that logo. I wonder who actually made TT 's paras?

That's exactly what I was looking for..lol.. If there would be another promo like CDNN did with the PC18.9's I'd grab a PC 16.40. As it stands now, at almost $1K, I'd be looking at another couple hundred the above parts and a couple hundred in gunsmith charges. That said, Its cheaper than a STI and I have a good stash of tuned 40 mags.

Once MBX starts making Para mags, this will be a non issue. Supposedly late March to early April time frame. Not to change the subject but I just bought a 16.40 Pro Custom also. With Canyon Creeks mag catch and 4 Brazos STI mags, it has been flawless in around 300 rounds so far. Removed the series 80 junk and put a 17 lb mainspring and Dawson ICE magwell. Just over 2 LB trigger pull and smooth as glass. A lot of guys are critical of these guns because the MIM internals, but for $1K out the door compared to twice that for a STI Eagle/Edge I'll just replace the internals if I have problems. I've owned a FGW Limited gun, a STI Edge, Apeiro, and Eagle, and these guns are as nice as a stock STI anyday.

And the Tomassie Custom is not going to happen. Grab a 16.40 and build it into whatever you want. Only difference is a bull barrel, Slide cuts and better trigger parts. that's easy enough to do.

I bought my 18.9 for Steel Challenge as well. Even though I'm the MD and can do whatever I want at the match it just takes too damn long to shoot a stage with only two magazines. I wish MBX would accept pre-orders so he'd how how many of us want them. I tried to talk Mrs. Jones into letting me buy a second one so I would have two more mags and a backup gun but she wouldn't go for it so it's just sitting in the box in the safe until mags become available.

Boy that really temps me to get a PC 16.40... I've got 40 mags from the 17 years of shooting my old para.

Marv z, no problems shooting 180gr flat points out of ur 16.40? I like running STI mags . I'm don't care about the slide lock as I have it disabled anyway . the STI mags are nicely made

Zack. I'm sure the MBX mags will be great . I gonna pick some up. I hope MBX knows there is gonna be a big rush on these . I'm excited about not having to get a separate base pad and follower tuning for max capacity. That will be great!

Edited by telecat

All I shot out of it so far is 180gr Zero and Montana Gold Hollow points. All loaded long to 1.185. Will try regular short production ammo this week and see what happens. Loading long is a huge help for feeding and I'm using the load for my old limited guns.

• 4 weeks later...

CyclicRate, any update on the recoil spring and FLGR replacements? I've got about 800 through my 18.9 now (with only two mags, dang it!) and I want to start playing with the springs. Any gotchas show up using the Wilson FLGR kit and standard recoil springs?

Thanks Sharppoint! RTL, I haven't had a lot of free time, but I did shoot a bit. The Wilson guide rod is great, but the 9 and 10lb recoil springs were too light with factory ammo. I haven't tried the 11lb yet though. The lighter springs will come in handy when I start reloading for 9mm.

Edited by CyclicRate

I replaced the factory guidrod with a Wilson on my PC 18.9 and am running a 9# spring. I'm reloading and running minimum power factor loads in 3gun. That spring # feels great. That said, a buddy if mine has the same gun and his wouldn't run with a 9#. He kept getting FTF's about 4-5 per hundred. Switched to a 10# and his gun is. 100%.

Thanks telecat and CyclicRate

I'm going to be using factory ammo for the foreseeable future. I think I'll order 11 & 12.5 springs and the guide rod and see how they go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by rtl