Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli M1/M2 lifter mod no welding

Jadeslade

Real bad idea on Benelli. Do that mod and try port loading the nose of the shell drops into the area you cut off and jams the lifter. Bet the same thing happens on the 1301.

Real bad idea on Benelli. Do that mod and try port loading the nose of the shell drops into the area you cut off and jams the lifter. Bet the same thing happens on the 1301.

Been using it on the 1301. Works hunky dory. Got the spec pics from Roberto. After the Area 6 Multigun this weekend, I will try it on the Benelli. Very similar, but not exactly the same. I'll let you know.

It is a really bad idea on an SLP!!! Matter of fact it is just a bad idea all the way around, but like so many times I have said "I wouldn't do that SH*T if I were you" there will be a bunch of guys needing to buy new lifters after a while.....have fun with the grinder! Right Lance??? Want to chime in Sterling??? Tim Ubl, any comments for the chosen few??? :(

It is a really bad idea on an SLP!!! Matter of fact it is just a bad idea all the way around, but like so many times I have said "I wouldn't do that SH*T if I were you" there will be a bunch of guys needing to buy new lifters after a while.....have fun with the grinder! Right Lance??? Want to chime in Sterling??? Tim Ubl, any comments for the chosen few??? :(

hahaha!

If my thumbs getting guillotined, I dont want a dull one, some guys dont use their thumbs tho!

Edited by mike cyrwus

• 2 weeks later...

I like the aggressive slant cut port job on the receiver of those guns, but i wonder if the corresponding slant cut on the lifter is necessary once you get that aggressive with the receiver cuts. I've found that deeper your receiver cut is down and forward, the more the follower is exposed which facilitates positive shell seating and latching without the need to insert the thumbtip into the port to seat the shells. With more aggressive cute, you can use more of the side of the thumb to "brush" them in and so the potential of spearing of the thumb with the lifter is eliminated. And the further forward the port is cut, the further your thumb is from the lifter which all seems to culminate in lifter shaping being obsolete. I guess it can't hurt with port loading, but it doesn't seem to have the same dire need either. Is that the consensus?

Well I always have an extra lifter around, just because. And when I did the 1301 mod after Roberto sent me his specs, I just figured I would try it. Because we have all seen some welded lifters that are unbalanced, or too pointy, plus a little weight off can't hurt. I agree with you that deeper gets you in there better. I like the mod and at the Versamax # 2 match last weekend we, uh, had some time to discuss, because of rain. And really, those doing quad loads, are more concerned with where and how the second set of shells is going and how they are held and want that thumb available asap. My Italian is passable and Roberto's English is passable, but he essentially told me his thumb never touches the lifter. That's how I made the cut, put my thumb on the lifter like I was finishing a load and drew around it with a Sharpie. It's a not a straight cut. Kind of slightly S shaped to take off the right amount, but just enough. The Benelli lifter is much softer steel that the Beretta. I did that video real slow so you could see I made it purposely nose dive, because Kurt. It works fine at normal speed, too. Sometimes it's all moot, because our first stage was in the pouring rain, cold, empty gun, bolt closed while kneeling on a swinging table, so we all reverted to the tried and true weak and load, because we loaded out of little buckets with bird and buck. I still have my C-rums lifter-it works great, Taran's lifters work great. I just kind of like this mod.

My thumb never gets closer than 1/4", usually 3/8" from the lifter, but my stab might hit only 1/2" back from the follower, that cut would screw up the stab and could easily popcorn a load.