Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DAA Racer mounting sideways - anyone have this issue?

Supranatural

Okay after doing some research I decided to try mounting my DAA Racer mag pouches bullets out. So there is a mounting hole that allows you to do that. However, I find that when I put in the center screw in that hole to mount it that the head of the screw interferes with the tension adjusting wheel. It is too big and there is no countersinking in the mounting hole to accomodate the head so it either screws down with the edge of it on top of the adjusting wheel or underneath, either of which messes with the adjusting wheel - one pre-tensions it more than I want the other locks it solidly against the mag pouch. Am I doing something wrong here?

No, you have to make an adjustment to one of the screws. I can't remember at this moment which one, but do a search. The topic recently came up in this forum.

Here is the mane of the thread.

DAA racer pouches, bullets out or bullets forward?

Third post down by CZinSC has the answer. The relevant passage:

Anyway, if you haven't tried bullets out on the Racers yet, you will find out that you will need to make a small modification. The screw head that holds the pouch to the bracket will get in the way of the tension knob. The only fix, if you can't find the proper screw at your local hardware store with a smaller head, is actually quite simple. Take the screw, chuck it up in a drill. Run the screw head over a flat file and reduce the radius. Should only take you a couple of minutes.

Edited by zzt

ZZt is right. I had to do the same thing. You also have to drill a hole in the front of the pouch for allen wrench access to the screw.

Drilling a hole would help but I didn't know for certain if I wanted to stick with the bullets out mounting so I found that using an Allen key with a ball end let me tighten and loosen the Allen screw very quickly and only resorted to using the short end of the wrench for final tightening. Funny thing is a couple of the Allen keys that came with the DAA Racers have the ball end (I have a set of Craftsman one's with the ball ends that I used).

• 3 weeks later...