Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which one should i buy?

jarvis243

So here is were i am at. I am a total beginner with competition shooting. I have shot 1 USPSA match at our local club and gone out a number of times for some steel matches. I have been shooting my XDM 5.25 .40 at those matches. I love my XDM but i really love the way the CZ's feel in my hand. I am trying to sell one of my pistols to fund a CZ purchase. As soon as it sells i am going to order one up. Now here is my question, which one? I really want a TS or a shadow but i can't afford one of those right now. So i am wondering which would be the best choice to get and build on? This will not be the last pistol that i buy.

Do i go with i go with decocker or manual safety? Down the road can i build this pistol to be as good as a shadow or TS? I realize that it is the shooter and not the gun but i want to make a decision that i will give the best option to build on. What are your thoughts and opinions?

Yes and yes? Depends on your preference, if you're primarily shooting production, I personally preferred the decocker versions. You can definitely build on either a 75B, 75 BD, or an sp01 to be as good as a shadow on your own, kneelingatlas' guide is a great start. Pre-B versions would be even better, but as a new shooter, it's six in one hand, half a dozen in another.

Careful, it's a disease. :) I started with a p07 and a year later, I have way too many CZs that I have to hide from my wife. :D

I forgot to add the P-09. should i consider that one? I know for sure at some point i am going to have one but i have a feeling after this next purchase it will be the last for a little while because of education goals coming down the line.

Because i want to get another 9mm to replace the one i am selling. Its easier to buy reloading supplies here and there than it is to just buy a gun. I have a pistol that i don't shoot and want to get a pistol that i can see myself using. I am loading my .40 ammo pretty light but the 9mm is still cheaper to shoot.

I forgot to add the P-09. should i consider that one? I know for sure at some point i am going to have one but i have a feeling after this next purchase it will be the last for a little while because of education goals coming down the line.

Some of the worked over P09's I've handled were very nice for the money. One of them with a trigger job should work nicely.

If you are going to shoot Production, get some kind of SP-01. I recommend a Shadow. If you can't get a fully tweaked out one yet, get a base model SP-01 Shadow and gradually do the work yourself. I think CZ Custom has them in stock. If you can afford a 91030, I would. The trigger is amazing.

This is what I would do.

Buy a factory SP01 Shadow. Install an ext firing pin, 2075 firing pin spring, 13# mainspring.

Shoot this and then mod as you improve your skills.

I have a P09 with all the CGW parts you can use and still be production legal.

Short reset kit, sights, springs, DA roller bearing, etc. I did all the polishing and tuning myself (done by them for a little bit more) and it shoots like a DREAM.

It has a different felt recoil than the SP01. to me it feels that the P09 is flatter shooting, but I could be wrong.

Edited by aethir

Why not get a 9mm barrel for your xdm 5.25? Actually wish I had gone that route so I would have both cals in one gun. A lot of guys do it that way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is ok in Ltd. Not legal for production. Edited by OPENB

I would think it depends on which division you plan on shooting. TS for Limited, SP-01 for Production are the obvious choices. While I suppose you could shoot the SP-01 in Limited, the TS is not allowed in Production.

^^^^^ THIS

Available now [snip link as I'm too new to even quote a link someone else posted]

SP-01s are also available at damascusgunshop dot com (Again, I can't post the link) for $608 (includes shipping). They currently have 8. Edited by jnk

Started Production 7 years ago with a CZ75 SP01, and still shooting it. Trigger work and fixed competition sights were all the mods to the pistol. You cannot go wrong with that setup. Also, consider the CZ85 Combat with same mods. The 85 is lighter and lighter in the barrel area. Another great choice. Get trigger work done and use the Cajun Gun Works springs as well on either.

You cannot go wrong with either. Either are more than good enough to make GM.

That said, absolutely nothing wrong with any of the pistols you mentioned.

Remember, to a great extent it is not the pistol (or rifle) that makes a great shooter. It is what the shooter does with the tool!

This is what I would do.

Buy a factory SP01 Shadow. Install an ext firing pin, 2075 firing pin spring, 13# mainspring.

Shoot this and then mod as you improve your skills.

+1 if you plan on doing your own trigger job get the Stock Shadow.

If you plan on going the SP-01 or P-09 route with CZC or CGW to do the trigger job, go with the decocker version. With USPSA Production if you use a decoker you can start with the hammer in the half cocked position vs it needs to be fully decocked with the a safety version because you are lowering the hammer manually. I noticed that the DA pull was reduced ~1lbs and travel reduced by 20% starting at the half cocked postion. Plus in USPSA Production you never use the safeties. Might as well be a gamer with a decocker :devil:

Regradless you will be happy. All three guns are great choices and are compitetive.

Edited by brisix