Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

bullet coating

krazykj03

Most coatings are a High Tech, High Temperature coating. Examples of this coating include Bayou Bullets and SNS Casting.

Some bullets are Poly Coated which from my understanding is similar to powder coating. An example of a Poly coated bullet is The Blue Bullets company.

I've had great results with all of the above. I have guns that have tens of thousands of rounds through them that have never seen a FMJ bullet beyond the one the factory used to test them with. Low smoke, clean loading, clean barrels, great accuracy and easy on the pocket book.

What convinced to go with Blue Bullets is twofold, first one of SV GM shooters introduced me to them, but what really convinced me was when it bounced off a steel plate and 90+% of the coating was intact except at the lead 'splits'. I have shot approx. 10k and have been very pleased, little or no smoke, accurate and no residue in the barrel.

I cast and coat my own. I use Hi-tek coating in the powder form and add Acetone then coat and bake. I am very happy with the results. I can realize significant cost savings and achieve better results than purchasing plated bullets. Even buying the lead I can cast 4000 bullets and coat them for about $120. Pretty good savings.... if you have the time to do it yourself... I do.