Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Battle belt, for 3 gun?

I've never been in a 3 gun competition, but would like to try. I have most of the gear I think I'll need, but I don't have a 3 gun belt. I do have a good battle belt that I got in a prize package once though... But it's a battle belt, and I don't want to look like some wannabe tactical idiot.

I have a G-code SOC rig holster, some HSGI taco pouches for pistol and rifle on it, and some other stuff I'd remove for a competition. I even have a Gunner Solutions EZ8 shell caddy I can throw on. I'm still getting used to it... But it's gotta help.

My question is, does anyone show up at matches using battle belts? I'd like to try 3 gun, but I don't want to go spend money on a belt system, if I end up not liking it a ton. I'm very comfortable, and have some good practice doing reloads on pistol and rifle using this current battle belt system, and there's plenty of room in the front for my EZ8 shell caddy, I just don't want to look like some mall ninja. I probably never would have gotten the belt if I didn't get such a great deal on it.

So.. How often do you see people using battle belts at 3 gun comps?

Edited by Scratchthejeepguy

We see them quite often at local matches. Even guys running plate carriers and chest rigs.

I don't think anyone will think twice about you using a battle belt, especially if you know where your mags are when you need to load/reload. I've been using a HSGI leg rig for Heavy Metal and it works great.

Show up, be safe and have fun!

I have a buddy who shoots with one because he finds it balances the load better and he goes home with less back problems. No one bats an eye. Shoot with what you have, you can decide to change it later.

Scratch, your battle belt will be fine and nobody at any of the MN matches (or anywhere for that matter) would ever bat an eye at what a new shooter is running for gear. Go to a match with whatever you have, have some fun and meet some great folks.

When you decide you want to go to match just shoot me a PM here or on the MNGT board. I shoot most of the MN matches and if you like, I'd be happy to squad with you and help any way I can. I generally bring a bunch of extra shotshell caddies and other spare loaner gear to the matches, so don't let a worry of not having enough "stuff" keep you from attending a match.

I run a Volund Gear works micro-battle belt when I need to be tactical at work. I think it would be a bad-aXX competition belt and if I didn't have a ton of other gear already, I'd probably switch....SO maybe you should just build your competition kit off of yours?

I've been running a battle belt for a few years now. I started with a typical "stiff" belt and bought the battle belt for fun. But it is so comfortable and handy that I use it for all matches that I go to. At first I never saw anyone else wearing them, but in the past year I have seen a lot more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a belt (preferably padded) and suspenders guy. When nature calls, you can easily unbuckle the belt while it hangs via the suspenders versus having to peel the velcro outer belt or juggling a weighted belt that's tugging on the pants while you try to keep your POA/POI on that tree/bush in front of you.

I got rid of my chest rig because it got really hot under it, not because I passed out going prone.......

Carrying a full size all steel 1911 gave me back and hip issues after a while, and losing 45 lbs and any associated padding made belt carry very uncomfortable with the belt digging into the hips.

A padded belt with suspenders made all the difference for me. The molle/pals also gave me better options to shoot other platforms with more pouch choices. With 'universal' rifle and pistol pouches with kydex inserts, I can pretty much carry most rifle and pistol mags w/o having to change pouches. Depending on what calibers I have available or my mood, I'll change platforms as needed.

I'm using an older Gen1 CTOMS padded belt......can't find any pics now, but here's video of my setup:

I normally use a battle belt in Outlaw matches.

With the one real deal USPSA match I shoot I switch to a duty belt and use keepers to connect it to a stiff pants belt.

USPSA and their rules...

2.2.5 The belt carrying the holster must be worn at waist level which is deemed to be at the same level as the original belt loops on the lower garment. The belt or the inner belt or both must be either securely fixed at the waist. Thigh holsters and mag holders are specifically allowed. Female competitors may be permitted to wear a belt at hip level however; the top of the belt must not be positioned below the furthest lateral point of the top of the femur (tuberosity major).

I have been using a battle belt for the past 3-4 years. I am a middle of the pack shooter out there to have fun. It works for me.

And I have the benefit of not giving a crap what other people think. ;).

I have been using a battle belt for the past 3-4 years. I am a middle of the pack shooter out there to have fun. It works for me.

And I have the benefit of not giving a crap what other people think. ;).

That is not a bad thing...some of us tend to make that a handicap. Good for you!!!

just don't scan behind you for threats at the end of the stage and I think you will be fine :roflol:

Wait, not everyone does that?!!?

I think my favorite quote from my IDPA SOI was "the most dangerous shooter on the line is the one who just watche a Magpul Dynamics video."

But in seriousness, I use a VTAC Brokos belt because it's comfy and I had it. When I outgrow it, I'll probably use my old Safariland Levitation belt system from Open and just rig everything on that.

I know a few guys who run battle belts. No one bats an eye.

We did have a guy show up to a rifle match (first timer) this weekend in a plate carrier (no plates) a shemagh, and cool guy patches everywhere, a keltec su-16, and 5.11 tac pants.... Bought everything during the "scare" no one said a word, even let him squad with the "super squad" everyone gave him tons of help. I think we probably picked up a new monthly shooter coming out.

Basically what I am saying is come out, shoot, find your weak points, see what works for others and then make your decisions based on that.

I know a few guys who run battle belts. No one bats an eye.

We did have a guy show up to a rifle match (first timer) this weekend in a plate carrier (no plates) a shemagh, and cool guy patches everywhere, a keltec su-16, and 5.11 tac pants.... Bought everything during the "scare" no one said a word, even let him squad with the "super squad" everyone gave him tons of help. I think we probably picked up a new monthly shooter coming out.

Basically what I am saying is come out, shoot, find your weak points, see what works for others and then make your decisions based on that.

Thats a job well done!!

We had a 73yr old Vet this past weekend for his first time shooting 3 gun. He almost went home because he saw what everyone else was doing but we convinced him to stay and try it. He did stay and had a blast, we had to pick him up on a few stages, but it happens every now and then.