Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

QLS vs ELS

Folks, not sure ive seen a qls but have the els. Whats the difference? Size, shape, thickness?

Im rebuilding my 3 gun stuff & thought of using qls as some recommend for the pistol but want to know why before laying out cash.

QLS was designed for the holsters, larger footprint and required more breakaway force than ELS.

In our game, I run ELS for everything, including holster. In two seasons, have not had any issues, and it's nice having an extra ELS receiver plate for a long, all shotgun COF.

If you are going to use it on your holster get the QLS.

I have seen a few people have their holster pop off when they use the ELS for their holster. Most of the time when they had their holster pop off it was going prone. Each time it was a DQ because their pistol was in their holster.

I wouldn't recommend the ELS for your holster.

If you put the forks pointing down it is much harder for the holster to come out of the clip.

Does Safiland have any bolts longer than .375"? That is the longest in the kits and is at least 1/16" short .

Tom

QLS was designed for the holsters, larger footprint and required more breakaway force than ELS.

In our game, I run ELS for everything, including holster. In two seasons, have not had any issues, and it's nice having an extra ELS receiver plate for a long, all shotgun COF.

Same here

I've done it both ways. I've used an ELS for my holster (and I had to mount the ELS at 45 degrees or so to make it work) and it was fine but I'm now using a QLS and it is a lot more rigid and solid feeling.

If you put the forks pointing down it is much harder for the holster to come out of the clip.

Does Safiland have any bolts longer than .375"? That is the longest in the kits and is at least 1/16" short .

Tom

I used these from McMaster-Carr although any Button head or Truss head 8-32 screw from the hardware store will work.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#socket-head-cap-screws/=w5k4dt

Edited to add correct part number 91355A075

Edited by Ming the Merciless

The issue I have is that the QLS hole spacing isn't designed for the ELS belt.

Safariland needs to offer a QLS size plate that has holes compatible with the ELS belt.

Mick

The issue I have is that the QLS hole spacing isn't designed for the ELS belt.

Safariland needs to offer a QLS size plate that has holes compatible with the ELS belt.

Mick

I found this to be true.

For a Blade Tech holster I have found Large TMMS to work much better than the QLS even on a Safariland belt.

I have a new in the box QLS if still want to buy one.

QLS works fine on ELS belt if you only attach it with 2 screws. It is a smidgen of tetris but it works and the 2 screws hold it on just fine

Any way you could post a picture of that? I cant get mine on the belt without putting it at a 45° angle.

QLS works fine on ELS belt if you only attach it with 2 screws. It is a smidgen of tetris but it works and the 2 screws hold it on just fine

Any way you could post a picture of that? I cant get mine on the belt without putting it at a 45° angle.

Sure

nuqQfhu.jpg

2Vqj4Zk.jpg

Basically, it doesn't align perfectly, so put it both screws before tightening and you end up with a VERY slight forward cant.

• 2 weeks later...

I keep my QLS receiver plate on a tek-lok attached to my ELS belt.. Holes line right up, and I like to be able to slide my holster slightly forward or back if needed.

I keep my QLS receiver plate on a tek-lok attached to my ELS belt.. Holes line right up, and I like to be able to slide my holster slightly forward or back if needed.

how do you meet the 2" rule without seriously canting the holster inward?

• 1 month later...

how do you meet the 2" rule without seriously canting the holster inward?

Seems fine. I do have a higher Safariland carry type holster and not a DOH.

I rarely shoot USPSA, but I am signed up for a few matches this summer, so I better go measure.

I use the ELS for everything except the holster. On the holster I went with the Bladetech TMMS. I found the ELS a little flimsy when you load it down with a fully loaded gun and start running around.