Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 major seating depth/bullet hold and bullet calibration

ano

Hi, I've been experimenting with 9 major loads after receiving some tips on misc profiles that is known to run good in my new svi (not arrived) yet, one of the load is at 30mm oal, but due to the bullet profile this means aprox 2,4-2,5mm seating depth and when really stuffing it, I'm worried the 120% powder charge can push the bullet out dureing a match

I ran around my livingroom with loaded mags to simulate dropping, and never manged to actually loose a bullet, I was quite persuasive with the crimp, but I did see some 0,1-0,2mm out movement, so not sure how this translate in the gun

I did manage to stuff 9,5-9,7grains of n105 in them depending on brand of brass. which is a feat on its own ;)

Also how many of you run the 9 brass through 38 super dies before 9 sizeing die? plan is to run 1 prep head, 1 load head since the powderloads are so stuffed any jolting from releaseing the shellplate, and also then use lube to size the brass.

The bullet I used was calibrated 356, some 357, but soft, could this have any high pressure side effects.

Edited by ano

I've been experimenting with 9 major loads known to run well in my new svi (not arrived)

Ano, I'd wait until you get your new SVI before you experiment with OAL

and powder charge.

The OAL could be different for each particular gun / bullet combo.

If you must experiment before your new gun arrives,

always start with a low powder charge, and work up slowly, with

a chronograph - 9mm major is not a good place to load up a formula

and fire it in your new gun.

:cheers:

Good luck -

I can't imagine running a 9mm through a super due. 9mm has a bigger base since it's a tapered case.

Being "persuasive" with crimp is not going to help. It actually probably contributed to the bullets not being tight in there. And since you are compressing the charge it will also push bullets out of the case some

I ran into a similar problem trying to load XTREME 115 HP's long in 9MAJOR. They were just so short they were barely in the case. I stuck with MG 115 JHP.

Edited by Sarge

I've been experimenting with 9 major loads known to run well in my new svi (not arrived)

Ano, I'd wait until you get your new SVI before you experiment with OAL

and powder charge.

The OAL could be different for each particular gun / bullet combo.

If you must experiment before your new gun arrives,

always start with a low powder charge, and work up slowly, with

a chronograph - 9mm major is not a good place to load up a formula

and fire it in your new gun.

:cheers:

Good luck -

No worries, the load data come from the smith doing the reaming of chambers, fitment etc, its what he loads in his identical gun/identical porting, I'm not new to wildcats and of course I will start lower, I was just testing how far and how much powder I could get in there. N105 in 9x19 case kinda limits itself volume, I was experimenting with it since its less flashy than 3n38, but sadly you cant get more than 0.5KG boxes of it.

I also run QL a lot, which I must say has been surprisingly spoton the few times I've had access to pressure testing equpment in simulated vs actual pressure measured. same when you just have access to a chrono

Edited by ano

I can't imagine running a 9mm through a super due. 9mm has a bigger base since it's a tapered case.

Being "persuasive" with crimp is not going to help. It actually probably contributed to the bullets not being tight in there. And since you are compressing the charge it will also push bullets out of the case some

I ran into a similar problem trying to load XTREME 115 HP's long in 9MAJOR. They were just so short they were barely in the case. I stuck with MG 115 JHP.

I ran a somewhat not so scientific test with misc taper/factory crimp dies, and a bullet hammer setup at an identical angle, and the somewhat pretty heavy crimped (bullet was sized to 355 partially at base) was what held best, but the slightly large calibration bullet also gives a good crimp on its own, and it will fit chamber gauge with no addiitonal crimp other than seating, but you can see edge needs maybe 0,02 more to be right.

you are right though, say I seat it to 29,7 it will be 30,00mm after a round in the lee FC

the super die allows for the brass to stack easier in the mags, and apparantly eliminates some feeding issues, also upps powerfactor marginally

can't wait to get the gun, was at the police station and deliverd papers there today... so waiting game now.

Edited by ano