Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remington 1100 recoil tuning

TLD

I got an almost new standard 1100, cut the barrel to 19 inches and threaded for a choke. I didn't do anything else to the recoil or gas system and it worked fine with even the lightest loads.

The heavy buckshot loads and slugs took their toll cracking the stock after a about a thousand rounds. I installed an extra power Wolff recoil spring then had trouble cycling the light loads. Instead of opening the gas ports I reinstalled the factory recoil spring and ordered a receiver buffer which is on the way. Hopefully this softens the impact.

Any other ideas? An optimal spring weight?

Thanks

The 1100 platform still works fine but remember its 1960’s technology. It was never a one barrel/one gun/any load design.

You can tune the gun to light loads, but it will batter itself when running hotter loads - or you can tune the gun to run heavy loads and it may not cycle when running lower velocity loads.

Tuning the 1100 barrel or action to operate within a specific range of loads is just part of the gun’s design. Remington’s original answer was more than one barrel design for various loads. A 2 gas port barrel (with various ports sizes in certain barrel lengths) for standard loads and a one gas port barrel for “magnum” guns.

Remington's answer was the 11-87 with its pressure compensating gas system. For your situation, about all you can do is find a compromise configuration that will run low recoil slugs/buck at the high end, and maybe warmer game loads at the low end. A plastic buttstock will solve your cracking problem, and a thick buttpad will ease the shoulder battering.

Thanks. That's what I think I arrived at. I'm going to make it work with the light loads, hope the buffer helps and an plan my next gun.

Edited by TLD

I don't think you give up much by sticking with low recoil slugs and buck. If you check out the ATK law enforcement site, you will see that the low recoil versions often equal or exceed the performance of the full power loads.