Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tac Ops offset irons - yes or no? Other options?

ctay

I only occasionally get time to play 3 gun but I am signed up to shoot the USPSA MG Nats in April. Last year one of my biggest stupid screw ups was forgetting about the offset in the scope on close(ish) targets. This offset earned me several no shoots last year that I would like to avoid this year. My thought is that I need to get some offset irons and use them on the close up targets.

Biggest problem I have is I'm running the Carbon Arms featherweight hand guard so there is nowhere to mount the front sight to. I could drill a hole and put a small rail on the front but drilling into carbon fiber doesn't give me warm fuzzies.

Anyone running offset irons with a CF hand guard? How did you install it and how has it worked?

Any other suggestions? I guess I could just practice close up targets until the offset is second nature but I would rather buy my way out of the problem... (little sarcasm - and maybe a little hard truth there...)

Thanks,
Chris

I wouldn’t be worried about drilling a hole at the end of the carbon fiber tube for the offset front sight. The highest bending stress in the tube would be far away from where you are putting the hole (The high stress will be at the barrel nut/tube attachment). The only issue I could see with putting a front sight on the carbon fiber tube is you will get some deflection on your tube which could change point of impact depending on how hard you are gripping the tube, though I doubt it would really matter for the real close stuff. The other option is to use the JP Short Range Tactical Sight and find an offset mount that will allow you to attach it to the receiver and not interfere with your scope

Edited by Fordfan485

Even with offset iron sights, you'll still need to be worried about sight over bore at extremely close targets. Just have to tell yourself on stage walkthroughs "hold high on that target"

I may have to try that. Not much real estate available but there may just be enough.

Drilling CF - just make sure there is tons of water and go slow right?

I have the Carbon Arms handguard (love it) in silver carbon fiber. I used a 1/4" diamond drill bit (looks like a mini hole saw) and water in a spray bottle. Cut 2 holes after I lined stuff up, slapped on a piece of rail from Magpul, and mounted the front offset sight. I mounted the rear sight just ahead of the scope mount and zeroed it at 10 yards. I had the rear sight mounted to the rear of the scope mount, but I like it in front much better.

I too am looking for offset sights for this season. Are there any rules in 3 gun against folding offset sights? I searched, but couldn't find any information. In other words, do offset sights need to be fixed? It would be nice to fold them out of the way on courses of fire where they aren't needed.

I may have to try that. Not much real estate available but there may just be enough.

Drilling CF - just make sure there is tons of water and go slow right?

Ask MarkCo about drilling carbon fiber- that is his specialty. I know there are potential health issues but can't remember what. Don't breathe the dust, that is for sure

I have the Carbon Arms handguard (love it) in silver carbon fiber. I used a 1/4" diamond drill bit (looks like a mini hole saw) and water in a spray bottle. Cut 2 holes after I lined stuff up, slapped on a piece of rail from Magpul, and mounted the front offset sight. I mounted the rear sight just ahead of the scope mount and zeroed it at 10 yards. I had the rear sight mounted to the rear of the scope mount, but I like it in front much better.

Thanks - this is exactly what I was looking for. I'm going to give it a try.

I too am looking for offset sights for this season. Are there any rules in 3 gun against folding offset sights? I searched, but couldn't find any information. In other words, do offset sights need to be fixed? It would be nice to fold them out of the way on courses of fire where they aren't needed.

There are no rules that I know of that would limit the use of folding sights.

What I do with mine is sight them in before a major. When I go look at the stages before the match I look to see if I will use them on any stage. If I'm not going to use them I take them off so they can't get caught on anything or get in the way. If I need them there ready to go. But you have to decide to take them off before the start of the match.

Could always attach it on just the upper.

I tried that for a little while but wasn't very comfortable with it, I think it will take getting used to, I think the front of the rifle such as the muzzle was distracting to me but with practice I'm sure it will work

Been thinking about adding 45deg. offset sights, BUT How is trying to looking through a A2 rear sight going to help your time on up close targets. Thought of trying to reshaping the rear to a horse shoe , and painting the front post neon red. What do you think YEA or NA

Flatlander; The XS sights was a great Idea as a fast sight picture, But they have a draw back having a very low profile making them awkward in having to lift and rotate the rifle to obtain a proper sight alignment vs just rotating the rifle back and forth Is what I've read

Cyclic Rate; Trying to place the front sight post some where in the center of the aperture during a course of fire always seems to taking to much time always trying to hard for good sight picture, and thought something more like a wide notched rear handgun sight for those up close almost point and shoot targets. Thats where the idea of turning the aperture into a notch started making sense, something quick and simple that our brain is already use to seeing.

Been thinking about adding 45deg. offset sights, BUT How is trying to looking through a A2 rear sight going to help your time on up close targets. Thought of trying to reshaping the rear to a horse shoe , and painting the front post neon red. What do you think YEA or NA

I found it to be faster to acquire and transition target to target. My scope is a Vortex Razor HD 1-6x and the offsets seem faster than that on 1x. Also, I replaced the front post with a ghost ring post from KNS http://www.amazon.com/KNS-AR15-Hooded-Duplex-Front-SightBlack/dp/B006ESJEE0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1425647791&sr=8-2&keywords=kns+front+sight

I thought about doing that, too. Then I realized I will definitely forget to fold them up before the buzzer!

I thought about doing that, too. Then I realized I will definitely forget to fold them up before the buzzer!

I could see that happening once or twice too. I'm thinking about the Knights Armament 300 offset irons. They're very low profile when folded and you can remove part of the rear aperture to make the peep much larger and quick to find.

I have the dueck defense off set sights. When I roll the gun over I just look for the front sight my eye is right in line with the rear sight. I'm not looking for a perfect sight picture just good enough to hit the target.

I have the dueck defense off set sights. When I roll the gun over I just look for the front sight my eye is right in line with the rear sight. I'm not looking for a perfect sight picture just good enough to hit the target.

I do the same thing. I have cheap knock-offs I got on Amazon that worked fine last year, though there is some play in the rear. I only use them when a stage goes from inside 25 to 100 or more. Since our clubs use USPSA targets, at 25 yards or less I can't tell where I'm at on a target at 4x. At that point, it's just as fast to roll the rifle as to switch power even with a throw lever. If I were shooting the 3GN type targets only, I would probably just look for the red on 4x and not even run offsets.

A true 1 X Red Dot sight by far the fasts No parallax with both eyes open . Having to line up the rear sight with the front will take time off the clock. In my mind a fiber optic front post with a simpler rear would be faster.