Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good 357 sig load

Mick238

I run between 6 & 7 grains of Unique with a 125 gr JHP at 1.135" OAL, depending on how "hot" I want the load. I use the 6gr mostly 'cause I hate recoil & noise! It's a soft shooting load and accurate enough to shoot steel.

Be careful that you get bullets with a long bearing surface, as the SIG isn't very easy to get a good crimp on some of the shorter bullets. It's a bit tricky to load because, depending upon where you get the info, it either head spaces on the shoulder or the case mouth. Not sure which is correct and folks will argue either point all day long, swearing that the other theory is wrong!

Alan~^~

357 Sig is very popular over here in Australia as we cannot shoot 40.

A lot of people are using heavier projectiles for IPSC Major power factor.

I use a 170gn round nose with 5.3gn of AP70 (Universal Clays in the USA) loaded to 1.25" in an STI.

I shoot 125's both coated lead and jacketed for carry ammo

Its not that hard to load

I set my dies like I do rifle dies to headspace slightly on the shoulder and have had no problems in 2 guns and a 40 with a conversion BBL. all are headspaced the same. I don't adjust the dies for each in other words

I use unique for light to medium loads (its all in the books or on line from alliant)

and Blue dot for full power loads BUT its dirty stuff but good accuracy and velocity

again I use the book loads working up to MAX'

Make sure your bullet is tight before you crimp (if not get the expander turned down .0005

and then but about .003 crimp on it

Only set back problem I've had is with speer gold dot facory stuff but thats only after I've laoded and unloaded the gun with

the same round multiple times '

i.e. when I get home and unload and then reload it in the a.m. to go back out

I like to let the gun "air" out with the slide open over night

and yes ( for the tactical guru's) I do have other guns loaded in the house for defense LOL

enjoy the 357 sig its a great round and very versatile when handloaded

Edited by jcc7x7

I'm gonna have to get familiar with my dies a little bit it sounds like. I purchased a hornady 3 die set that I haven't even looked at since I can't seem to find powder in stock anywhere. Thanks for the info Jcc

• 7 months later...

I load Montana Gold 125 gr. jacketed hollow points. I have been using 13 gr. of AA#9. It's a full power load and shoots very well. The AA#9 fills the case so setback is minimized. My only problem so far is #9 is still hard to find.

I run Montana Gold 125 JHPs on top of 7.8 grains of BE-86 at 1.140" OAL. Goes about 1,400 fps out of my G31. Makes major easy. It's not that pleasant to shoot. I use a Dillon decap/resize and seating die, but run the floating Lee crimp die so I don't have to trim the brass.