Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

motor recommendation for automation

I'm wanting to motorize my RL1050 and need recommendations on which motor to use. I want single phase and i'm guessing 1/4hp, reversible and 20 rpm. Does it matter if it is angled or in line drive? Does it need a electronic brake or clutch?

Does someone have the model number of the Oriental Motor unit and a recommended source to buy the motor?

No clue on motor number, but if you buy Oriental brand name, you're going to pay a small fortune. For what you'll spend on that, you could buy any number of "other" brand motors for around $100-$120, probably less than a third of the cost of the Oriental.

Do yourself a favor. Get a 50:1 or 60:1 gear driven 3-phase motor (208-240VAC), and an Automation Direct GS1 or GS2. Total investment will be around $300.00 for motor and drive.

Oh, source to buy the motor... Ebay.

Edited by Brassaholic13

i watched the video on the VFD and my brain almost exploded; its too much for me to handle.

I need to keep it simple and want a basic motor with geared reduction, clutch would be nice also.

Anyone have a recommendation for a 110volt single speed motor?

i watched the video on the VFD and my brain almost exploded; its too much for me to handle.

110v in line and neutral two wires and 3 wires out to the motor. Push one button to start and twist knob to adjust speed.

If you can buld the rest of it that will be the easy part.

• 8 months later...

To confirm, you're running the PW copy single phase motor on the 3ph output of the above VFD?

How have you got it wired?

No you get a 3 ph motor it will have 3 wires for power input, they go to the VFD. Then you take an unplugged 110 plug and wire it into the VFD. The "box" does some tricky stuff to the frequencies and voltages that enable you to operate a 240v 3ph motor from a 110v single phase power source.

Edited by jmorris