Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loading weak hand? Or strong hand?

Shooter212

I have been shooting 3 gun for a year now, I load 2 of chest rig with my weak hand. I am just wondering if it's better to use strong hand. I am switching to quad loading, and thought if I was going to start practicing something new maybe there is a better way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I switched from strong hand load 2, to weak hand quads after burning the heck out of the palm of my left hand at the ProAm last year. Picked up a little speed.

I'm just starting to practice load 2's so I am wondering....did you burn your palm loading 2's? ...and if so, how/on what did you burn it on so I don't teach myself that!? Thx

I strong hand quad load because I've convinced myself that it is more "compact" to move that way (less gun in front of you waving around) and also because I want to save the 9-12 oclock area of my belt for rifle mags not for shotgun caddies. I suppose if you ran a chest rig the belt space issue doesn't matter. In most 3gun stages, I don't think I've done enough shooting to burn my hand, in a shotgun only stage that might be more of an issue, although I tend to not flip the gun in my hand anyway, I just leave my left hand on the handguard and curl it a lot

I switched from strong hand load 2, to weak hand quads after burning the heck out of the palm of my left hand at the ProAm last year. Picked up a little speed.

I'm just starting to practice load 2's so I am wondering....did you burn your palm loading 2's? ...and if so, how/on what did you burn it on so I don't teach myself that!? Thx

It was a ~30+ round all shotgun stage, and the gun was hot before I ever fired a shot from laying in the sun. I was not used to shooting in that kind of heat. Kentucky in August is not the place to be for a slightly overweight Yankee! I do not have enough flexibility in my wrists to not touch the barrel. (That and I must not be as tough as Vlad). I will agree strong hand over the shoulder is much more compact. It does create 180 issues moving right to left laterally loading on the move. For me, quads seem easier weak hand, not sure why.

The answer to your wonderment is not universal. Each offers some advantages and disadvantages, and they are not the same for everyone, nor for twins or quads.

The best option is the one that works best for your parameters. Twins or Quads, belt or chest, dexterity. Then you have stage parameters and limitations.

In any event, whatever method you choose, it is a good idea to practice a different method once in a while in case you need it.

Edited by MarkCO

That's why they use to call it "turn and burn". That's how Pat Kelley taught me to load my shotgun originally. It was kind of like "load 2", but not exactly as I was grabbing 2 from Choate 6 round carriers which I still sometimes use on ridiculous long stages. Look, some guys still use arm carriers and gun mounted shell carriers and still smoke the rest of the shooters. That's essentially load one. They just do it real fast.

It was a ~30+ round all shotgun stage, and the gun was hot before I ever fired a shot from laying in the sun. I was not used to shooting in that kind of heat. Kentucky in August is not the place to be for a slightly overweight Yankee! I do not have enough flexibility in my wrists to not touch the barrel. (That and I must not be as tough as Vlad). I will agree strong hand over the shoulder is much more compact. It does create 180 issues moving right to left laterally loading on the move. For me, quads seem easier weak hand, not sure why.

I see, I guess the first time I try it on the range it would have "revealed" itself, LoL! Thanks for saving me the learning experience :P

Put some of the soft side Velcro on the barrel where your hand touches. Not the prettiest solution, but it works for me.

Doesn't the barrel heat melt the velcro backing glue?

Put some of the soft side Velcro on the barrel where your hand touches. Not the prettiest solution, but it works for me.

Doesn't the barrel heat melt the velcro backing glue?

I've run several hundred rounds through mine and the Velcro is still in place. Maybe it's melted to the barrel?

I have been two-loading and then quad loading weak hand from belt and chest for the last few years. It seems to me that I always have a better peripheral vision on the move (seeing targets and looking where I am going) than using the strong hand shoulder load.

(the old school weak hand "thumb load" is obviously better for seeing targets and direction.... I thought i would mention before Kurt M rips me a new one! :)

)

I have used Fuzzy Velcro on the barrel for quite a while for long speed loading sticks for open. It stays on very well, and when it's time to take it off a bit of brake cleaner/gun scrubber will remove all the sticky residue.

jj

"loop" side (softer side) of Velcro on the barrel works great. I'm working on doing more weakhand quad loads this year. I did weak hand load two for awhile then switched to strong hand quads last year and now am going to back to weak hand for quads. Just play around with different things until you find something that you like.

• 4 months later...

The SEARCH button works!

I just got some carriers for quad loading and was wondering to myself how to set them up... Strong hand quads seems to be faster to get in and out of action, but it tweaks my left wrist more than I'd like. Weak hand quads seems slow getting the gun up and down and my situational awareness like that is terrible. I have a feeling I'll flop back and forth, trying both before I settle on one over the other. Thanks for the input guys.