Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shock buffers

Jody Waring

I see Henning is offering a brass buffer for Tanfoglio pistols. Has anyone tried or considered trying one in their CZ's ? I'm more curious for my Tactical Sport than Shadow. May not be necessary, but can't see it hurting either? I know there has been much discussion regarding the use of buffers, and for some time now CZ is even offering them (plastic) as a factory item for their product line.

I haven't been able to get any of the clear ones from CZ to try, and funny when I purchased my TS new it never came with any. In the past I have taken a 1911 buffer, cut the ears off of it and "threaded" the recoil spring into it, put it on the guide rod and installed it in the gun. It ran flawlessly, but did get hammered up quickly. The brass definitely won't soften the blow like a plastic buffer but with it being way softer than steel it should definitely soften the impact some. I'm going to give it a try, hopefully this snow will melt soon so I can get out and try it!

Here is what is listed on CGWs website...

Recoil Buffers NOT RECOMMENDED. Why not? Folks call and say they want to protect the frame and slide from "battering". I ask, "how many frames/slides have you personally seen that were damaged from battering"? The answer is always the same - none. And neither have I. If you use a recoil buffer, you are shortening the slides stroke, in some cases this decrease can cause a failure to fully eject a spent case, leading to a jam.
Also, recoil buffers by nature, sooner or later disintegrate, and guess where those little pieces are going - into your action and lock work. ​​So allow your CZ to take advantage if it's full stroke during the extraction/ejection cycle for maximum reliability. Give the recoil buffers to your buddy!!
Edited by praetorian97

I have a Sphinx SDP compact and it has a built-in rubber buffer that is about 1/4" thick. It is the softest shooting 9mm I own and it has never had any issues with jamming of any kind. I like it so much I've ordered the subcompact version which also has the built-in buffer. Being built-in, I don't think it shortens the stroke...

I have a Sphinx SDP compact and it has a built-in rubber buffer that is about 1/4" thick. It is the softest shooting 9mm I own and it has never had any issues with jamming of any kind. I like it so much I've ordered the subcompact version which also has the built-in buffer. Being built-in, I don't think it shortens the stroke...

Why think when you can know? Do you have access to calipers? I'd love to compare dimensions with you :cheers:

I'll see if I can locate my Vernier calipers. Can you suggest a way to measure it? I can easily lock it back with a mag in with room to spare before it touches the buffer. Should I measure how far it travels after locking back?

Right - a full length dust cover. I will do it tonight after work. I may have to use a machinist's rule instead of a caliper - the last time I looked for the caliper I couldn't find it.

Edited by rhart123

I must be missing something here ... Can someone please explain??? My thoughts to light of a recoil spring ... The slide goes back to far and beats the frame ... And on return gets to long of a running start and breaks slide stops (note... A buffer increases spring pressure and could be used for super fine tuning )... Next thought ... To stiff of a spring creates short cycling which means feeding issues ... The answer to me is using the right recoil spring ... IE ... Tuning to the load you are shooting ... What am I missing ???

I run the thin factory cz buffer in my shadows but only in practice. Does it do anything for how the gun shoots? Not really. I certainly don't like it enough to risk using it in a match.

I have another shadow with plenty of rounds through it with both factory guide rod and steel guide rod. It shows no ill effects from not having a buffer.

Folks call and say they want to protect the frame and slide from "battering". I ask, "how many frames/slides have you personally seen that were damaged from battering"? The answer is always the same - none. And neither have I.

Me either. Buffers- a solution to a non existent problem.