Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FN SLP; Assistance with the many variations of gas pistons

r7s

I've got an FN SLP, standard 18" model that I am breaking in for tac/HD classes and training. It was built in 2007, but is new and just being broken in. It came with the 2 gas pistons; black base (>/= 1.5oz) and red base (<1.5oz). So far I have only used the lighter load red base piston.

I have wanted to reliably run 1oz, bird shot for training loads, so after reading up on this forum and others, I decided to purchase the Browning Sporting Clays gas piston.

To complicate matters, FN has issued a bulletin, FNH-SLP-131001.v6, indicating that the red and black base pistons have been replaced with two new gold base pistons on the 18" SLP and a single gold base piston for the Mk1.

I ordered it the Browning Sporting Clays light piston from Midway and received it today. It does not appear as expected. The bag is labeled: "Piston Assembly 12 Gauge Sporting Clay Light Gold 12-20, #493004".

It does not have the printing on the piston that says "1-1/8 oz. and less" as was pictured. It has no printing on it at all. The only markings are some orange paint dots on the spring inside. It also has a gold base, like the new FN gold base pistons.

Finally, my questions: Is this just the same as the new gold base FN piston? Is the new FN gold base piston any different than the red base? I don't want to keep it if it wont cycle any lighter than by red base piston that I have. What should the old Browning Sporting Clays Light piston look like? Thanks.

r7s

Edited by r7s

The red piston will do you just fine. The newer pistons that FN is shipping with their new SLPs are super-finicky. I have a buddy that picked one up that came with the newer versions, and his wouldn't function for crap without buying the super-expensive heavy loads. Once he picked up the Browning Gold piston, all was well.

The one I ordered is supposed to be a Browning Sporting Clays Light, but it appears identical to the new gold base FN pistons. I don't want to use it if it is the same. Does anyone know what the base is on the Browning Sporting Clays (<1-1/8 oz) and what it looks like?

Edited by r7s

It shoots 1oz 1300 fps slugs 100%

Variable success with 1oz and 1-1/8oz target loads. >1300fps generally good, < 1250fps frequently fails to cycle. I am interested in the browning sporting clays cylinder so I can use the inexpensive target loads.

It shoots 1oz 1300 fps slugs 100%

Variable success with 1oz and 1-1/8oz target loads. >1300fps generally good, < 1250fps frequently fails to cycle. I am interested in the browning sporting clays cylinder so I can use the inexpensive target loads.

Very good sir, you are on the right track. Sorry I don't know what the Sporting Piston should look like.

If I were you. I would strip it down and remove the action spring. Clean it and reassemble. Then put a

flat of 1300fps rounds through it. I bet it runs just fine with most any 3 dram 1oz load when you are done.

I have some experience with the platform.

http://www.multigunmedia.com/speed-shotguning.pdf

Edited by P.E. Kelley

It looks like Browning / FN have discontinued the Sporting Clays Light piston. Now if you try to order it they cross reference to a different part number of the new "universal" gold base piston that many have been unhappy with.

I ordered the Sporting Clays light piston from MIdway, but what I received has the new gold base with orange dots on the spring. It appears to just be the new "universal" piston. I think I am going to return it.

Thank you Vincent C. I tried that today, but unfortunately they would not sell me the "obsolete" B111604913, but wanted to substitute the B11265254FN which is the new current "universal" piston with the gold base. This would be the same as I got from Midway. No lettering on the outside, some orange paint dots on the inside.

I asked them if this new universal would handle lighter loads any better than my red based piston that came with my SLP, and they said "probably not." Still looking for the older part.

r7s

Thank you Vincent C. I tried that today, but unfortunately they would not sell me the "obsolete" B111604913, but wanted to substitute the B11265254FN which is the new current "universal" piston with the gold base. This would be the same as I got from Midway. No lettering on the outside, some orange paint dots on the inside.

I asked them if this new universal would handle lighter loads any better than my red based piston that came with my SLP, and they said "probably not." Still looking for the older part.

r7s

Thank you for letting me know. A little while ago a member of the forum did some testing with their piston to make a heavy piston lighter by threading the insert at the bottom of the piston deeper into the piston providing more spring tension. If you compare a light and heavy piston, the only difference is how tall/thick the threaded spacer at the bottom of the piston is. See the link for more info

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=137187

You maybe able to modify what you have to work the way you want it to without the need of a new or sealed piston.

The piston that came with my SX3 (later 2000's model I think) has a black spacer ring, but it has run everything I have fed it including some pretty light loads. I got one of the light sporting clays pistons last year to have as a backup in case my current one ever craps out and it has a red spacer ring that is thicker/taller. I got a rough measurement of .275" on the thickness of the black spacer in the stock piston and .360" on the red one in the sporting clay piston.

Edited by Vincent C

That is very interesting. I will measure the base thicknesses of my red, black and the new universal that I am intending to return and post my findings. The new universal with the gold base may have a different spring rate as well.

• Original red base (less than 1.5 oz.) piston: base thickness is 0.37" plus 2 shims for a total of about 0.53". Spring has red paint on it.
  • Original black base (1.5 oz. +) piston: base thickness is 0.37", no shims. No paint on spring.
  • New gold base universal piston: base thickness is 0.32", plus 1 shim for a total of about 0.4". Spring has orange paint on it.

All of the bases are about 2 or 3 thousandths below flush with piston

• Original red base (less than 1.5 oz.) piston: base thickness is 0.37" plus 2 shims for a total of about 0.53". Spring has red paint on it.
  • Original black base (1.5 oz. +) piston: base thickness is 0.37", no shims. No paint on spring.
  • New gold base universal piston: base thickness is 0.32", plus 1 shim for a total of about 0.4". Spring has orange paint on it.

All of the bases are about 2 or 3 thousandths below flush with piston

I have two pistons.

Both have black bases. Both are used so no paint left on the springs.

One has a single set of holes. The other has two sets of holes.

Which one is the "light load" piston?

I have used both with no noticeable difference in recoil and both will shoot light loads.

The gun is a very old Browning Gold Hunter that was bought for hunting but changed over to shoot 3gun.

It came with the piston with the single set of holes. I always assumed that was the heavy one.