Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

gas length matter with adjustable block?

Dewberry

I know traditionally rifle gas is the smoothest shooting. But if I have a adjustable gas block and I'm tuning with a low mass carrier does the length or the gas system matter? (I'm considering mid length)

I understand the gun will still function, I'm worried about being able to tune the recoil as low as possible.

Edited by Dewberry

Yes! Adjustable gas blocks control only ONE thing, gas volume. They do not adjust dwell or port pressure or temperature.

Yes, there is a dP across the port, the block, the screw and the gas key. You can not beat PV=nRT.

You want the gas at the lowest possible pressure within the operating window for a LOT of reasons.

The optimum window is much closer to the Rifle length system than it is to the mid-length system with normal .223 loads. When you go to slower powders for 77s and 80s, it is acutally longer than the Rifle length.

If you are shooting light bullets with fast powders and relatively low velocities, then Mid length gas might be a good choice.

Yes! Adjustable gas blocks control only ONE thing, gas volume. They do not adjust dwell or port pressure or temperature.

Yes, there is a dP across the port, the block, the screw and the gas key. You can not beat PV=nRT.

You want the gas at the lowest possible pressure within the operating window for a LOT of reasons.

The optimum window is much closer to the Rifle length system than it is to the mid-length system with normal .223 loads. When you go to slower powders for 77s and 80s, it is acutally longer than the Rifle length.

If you are shooting light bullets with fast powders and relatively low velocities, then Mid length gas might be a good choice.

Yeah that's what I thought. I was hoping it wouldn't. But thank you for the prompt reply.