Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why Can't I Shoot my Benelli at ANY RANGE in the Houston Area?

Nalapombu

Well it looks like the OP is trolling.

I called American Shooting Centers and advised I need to function check a shotgun. They were quite friendly and advised they have a shotgun area complete with patterning board. Come on out and enjoy.

Then I called Thunder Shooting Range just east of The Woodlands. Same response. They have an area just for shotgun shooters. Come out and shoot to my heart's content.

Last I called Shooters Emporium. This is the only public outdoor range I know of in Conroe. Again asked if I could function test a shotgun at their range. No problem. Just go to the rifle/pistol range and either set up a portable target or just shoot into the berms off to the side. Just do not shoot at their close range backers.

I don't know what other ranges the OP called, but I'm batting 1000 on Houston area ranges where I can test fire my shotgun.

Bill

I have not lived in Texas for 40 years or so. but even then Hunting was all about the MONEY, my grandfather had a lease before I was born and almost till he passed. I do remember that where some day leases around us and back then they went for about $75 a day.

but I can also remember my mom putting me on a grey hound bus with my 22 mag in a soft case to go deer hunting with Him. great memories!

Yea when I lived down there, leases were the only way. I went down there expecting farmers to be waiting with open gates for guys to kill hogs... Well each and every one of them wanted at least $250 to kill the varmints destroying their crops. I did spend the cash willingly though and had a blast doing it. Back here in NE, things are not any different for deer and upland birds. If you want to hunt, you had better own land, be REALLY good friends with someone who does, or have a lease. Just the way it is anymore. The only exception is for ducks and geese where public lands and the river still give good opportunities for waterfowl, but you had better have a boat for either otherwise the accessible spots are all taken up.

I moved from New Mexico with lots of public hunting lands to Texas with very little public lands in 1975. Initially I was living close enough to the border that a New Mexico out-of-state hunting license was the way to go.

Through the years I've met more than a few Texas ranchers that make a significant chunk of their annual income from hunters. As such, they do a darn fine job of maintaining the quality of their hunting areas.

Bill

I never thought I would ever say this again, but how I long for West Virginia.

DAMN! It must really suck in Texas!! :goof:

Sorry, I couldn't help it being from Ohio. Admit it, you know all about the jokes we throw at each other back here. :cheers::cheers:

Well it looks like the OP is trolling.

I called American Shooting Centers and advised I need to function check a shotgun. They were quite friendly and advised they have a shotgun area complete with patterning board. Come on out and enjoy.

Then I called Thunder Shooting Range just east of The Woodlands. Same response. They have an area just for shotgun shooters. Come out and shoot to my heart's content.

Last I called Shooters Emporium. This is the only public outdoor range I know of in Conroe. Again asked if I could function test a shotgun at their range. No problem. Just go to the rifle/pistol range and either set up a portable target or just shoot into the berms off to the side. Just do not shoot at their close range backers.

I don't know what other ranges the OP called, but I'm batting 1000 on Houston area ranges where I can test fire my shotgun.

Bill

Thanks for calling him out on that. I knew he was full of it, but I really didn't want to offer any more advice to or have any further dealings with someone who had such a bad attitude.

Yeah I'm full of it.

I posted this just out of spite.

FUNCTION CHECK a shotgun is a whole lot different than coming in with 100 rounds of Practice ammo and shooting. Is it not? I'm sure there's not a range in this state that wouldn't let someone FUNCTION CHECK a shotgun.

Thunder Gun Range outside of Conroe....just the last one I talked to....and EMPHATIC NO. You want the name of the manager to talk to? You can also VISIT Hot Wells, those are but 2 of the numerous that I have called AND VISITED.

I could care less what you believe. I know what I'VE BEEN TOLD, FACE TO FACE and over the phone and email over the last 2 weeks.

You can THINK that "function checking" a shotgun is the same thing as shooting a 100 round box of "practice shells" is the same thing, if you do believe that, there's really no point in me trying to talk to you any longer anyway.

Nalajr

+1 for PSC Shooting Club. Takes some time to get a membership, but well worth it. If you're going to live in the Houston area for an extended period (years), why not join a club were you can shoot the way you want/need to.

csw

I guess I am a little confused with this post. Other than testing your pattern or shooting a few slugs to zero it, what exactly do you want to do? None of these public ranges are set up with areas that you can set up poppers, clays, or any other items to shoot at. You need to belong to a private range such as Impact Zone, CCC, or PSC. Even at PSC the only area where you can shoot the shotgun other than zero the slugs is at the double plate rack or the fence on that bay. Seems like you really don't know what you want to do and are blaming the ranges for not having what you want.

I have shot at all of the ranges in matches that you have contacted other than Hot Wells and they are all very receptive to us 3-gunners. Come out to a 3-gun match and see what it will do.

gerritm

they don't want anything done with the pistol that could be dangerous

Err .. I'm assuming shooting it is ok? Or is it only ok if you use it to pistol whip some cattle rustlers?

Every range I have vistied or contacted is an OUTDOOR range. I've emailed, called or visited at least 10 ranges and hear back from about 8. They are not just in Houston, but in Conroe, and other small towns around Houston. These are not Country Club type ranges with Wine and Cheese bars. I can't afford that stuff so there wouldn't be any need for me to even check on such a place.

ImpactZone is PRIVATE. Cannot go there as a member of the public. They make that pretty darn clear to you. Unless it is on the day of a match. Showing up on a 3 gun match day doesn't sound like a lot of fun to try and shoot my just modded Benelli for the first time in 10 years in front of 75 guys and gals waiting to shoot.

As far as making friends or trying to get onto some rural property, don't think that's going to work either. I've been trying for 2 years to get to hog hunt or find someone to give me some pointers or advice and that hasn't worked out as well as the finding a place to shoot my Benelli has...if that gives you any idea of how easy that has been.

In 2 years everything I thought Texas was has been shattered before my eyes. It's NOT a hunters paradise...unless you are LOADED with cash to spend 2 grand + per year on a lease....and it is certainly NOT a gun lovers paradise.

This Benelli thing in the corner is nothing more than a 9 pound Paper Weight at this point.

American Shooters Center is the one in George Bush Park....right? I've already checking into that place. I called them. The person on the phone said no loading more than 2 rounds at a time and when on the shotgun range, someone will be with you at all times to make sure you oberve the rules.

I tell ya I am about to the point where I load up about 200 rounds and my Benelli and drive west until I hit no where'sville and then stop and shoot till I don't want to shoot any more. The way I see it that's about the only chance I'll have at getting to shoot this shotgun.

I swear this feels like some kind of retarded dream I am in. But its not.

I never thought I would ever say this again, but how I long for West Virginia.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Nalajr

You can always come back... not much for jobs , not a lot of matches, but you can shoot anything you want lol