Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why sight tracker?

durdy1

I have been shooting limited with a xdm, and feel its time to move on to a different gun. I have been looking through what I might want as the next gun. I am interested in the 2011 stuff and the cz cts has cought my eye. Talking to a friend, he thought I should get a 2011 with a sight tracker barrel on it. What is the sight tracker barrel going to do for me?

Thanks

On a Sight Tracker gun, the barrel has a rib across the top that rides inside a slot milled into the top of the slide. The front sight is then attached to this rib. When you pull the trigger, the slide moves back and forth, but your front sight does not. This makes it much easier to keep track of the front sight as it is only moving up and down instead of up/down/back/front. On 9mm guns, it's not as much of a big deal as they don't have much recoil. On .40 guns, especially ones that are shooting major-rated loads, you get some considerable muzzle flip. When the sight is only moving in one plane, it's easier to track and get back on-target for the next shot.

Make sense?

There's some good pictures in a classified ad that show the sight-tracker barrel. You can see the barrel removed from the slide and the cut made in the slide to accommodate the barrel rib. http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=210896&hl=

Yup, they come apart the same way as any other bull-barrel 2011.

If you can find one for a decent price, they're worth every penny. I wouldn't say you're getting ahead of yourself unless your just barely getting started in competitions. They're an expensive pill to swallow if you're a new shooter.

Edited by shakman

The extra weight of the rib helps a bit with muzzle rise. The loss of weight due to the cut in the slide for the rib lessens the reciprocating weight of the slide both in the backward direction (a bit less muzzle flip upward) as well as the forward direction ( a bit less muzzle dip downward).

The extra weight of the rib helps a bit with muzzle rise. The loss of weight due to the cut in the slide for the rib lessens the reciprocating weight of the slide both in the backward direction (a bit less muzzle flip upward) as well as the forward direction ( a bit less muzzle dip downward).

I shot a sight tracker in limited and this is the biggest advantage to that style of pistol. My hits did improve when I switched from a full weight slide. Running a 11# recoil spring and a 16# main spring. Edited by Tyshoots

I bought an Infinity last fall from JP Enterprises with a sight tracker barrel. All I can say is, WOW!

A grand master once told me that if you always get the best equipment, you'll never have to wonder if a bad performance was you or the gun. I'm just sayin.

Bought an AKAI sight tracker a few months ago

HAve had para's, edges and eagles and all shot great and I did well with them

Not sure if its the quality of the build or the sight tracker but the AKAI seems to shoot better. i.e. I shoot it better

If you have the funds get a sight tracker

The front sight still jumps in a sight tracker. I think a well balanced lightened slide isn't so different having shot a 5" butler cut SVI sight tracker with ss grip. If you see any reputable gunsmith build for sale, don't shy from them. One last thing, the FO gets a little loose if you put 400 rds through a sight tracker, barrel gets hot.

I've tried

5" Edge

5" FGW

5" SVI

5.4" CCG

6" CCG

6" Zev 24 Longshot

5.3" G35

The only gun I didn't like was G35.

Edited by Stician

I went from a 6", internally lightened, bushing barrel Infinity to a 5.4"Infinity Sight Tracker. I found it much easier for me to track the front sight on the ST and I prefer the feel of the snappier recoil with it as well. The 6" was a bit softer though.....

I never lose the front sight. Gun cycles so fast, it's waiting me for to make the follow up shot. It's incredibly accurate, almost intuitive.. Like I sometimes pull the trigger before I think I'm ready and still get A-zone hits. It has to be the light slide and the stationary front sight.

Loved my 6" guns, especially on the long shots, but I'm inherently slower with it. I do like the recoil-or lack there of.. But the timer doesn't lie.

just for reference, I just got my very first 2011 this past year and it is a 5" sight tracker, I don't think there is any reason not to do it if you want one.

I am still working up towards being able to properly track the sights through recoil, but am getting there.

In a week or two my SVI stainless steel grip will be arriving and I think between the sight tracker barrel and heavy weight grip this gun will be about as mild as it can be in the recoil department. Then the rest is all on me :sick:

Edited by nitrohuck

I have a Custom built STI 6" now. My next is going to be a 5 or 5.4" Sight Tracker. The whole concept seems to be an outstanding idea. I'm sure that no matter what the sight will still rise up and fall down, just to a much less degree. I can see where super tuning the ammo for the gun (with springs) will make a huge difference in this.