Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

glasses for trap

wildman6809

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Frames are a personal choice.   I would suggest, try on as many different frames you can get your hands on.   I have a couple of friends who tried wrap-arounds and the lenses kept fogging up.  Lens color is also a personal choice,  what works for someone else may not work for you.  My optomologist told me for the best perception use the lightest possible color without squinting,  because everyone sees things alittle different.  Lastly ---- don't let your shooting glasses, lens color or tint take over if you've had a bad day on the range.

53 minutes ago, jim m said:

Frames are a personal choice.   I would suggest, try on as many different frames you can get your hands on.   I have a couple of friends who tried wrap-arounds and the lenses kept fogging up.  Lens color is also a personal choice,  what works for someone else may not work for you.  My optomologist told me for the best perception use the lightest possible color without squinting,  because everyone sees things alittle different.  Lastly ---- don't let your shooting glasses, lens color or tint take over if you've had a bad day on the range.

Jim, respectfully, it's a more involved than that.   I shot trap competitively for several years.   Good glasses are tinted to enhance various bird colors (orange, lime, etc) and to dull background colors (blue sky, trees, other foliage etc).    There's a lot to it - it's not a personal preference at all.

Edited by LMS

Respectfully right back at you LMS, it's all about personal preference.  Different eyes pick up backgrounds and the bird differently.  If what you say is true everyone on a trap line, skeet range or a sporting range would be wearing the same color lenses on a given day, and that doesn't happen.  

45 minutes ago, jim m said:

Respectfully right back at you LMS, it's all about personal preference.  Different eyes pick up backgrounds and the bird differently.  If what you say is true everyone on a trap line, skeet range or a sporting range would be wearing the same color lenses on a given day, and that doesn't happen.  

Well I guess we just (respectfully) disagree.   

You are correct in stating that you want to wear the lens that lets the most light in without having to squint.   But you state that it's "all about personal preference" and while I will definitely agree that's a part of the equation, it's not what it's all about. 

There are lots of reasons why you don't see everyone wearing the same color lenses on the line on a given day.  Maybe a shooter can only afford the cheapo glasses from the sporting goods store.  Maybe the shooter isn't aware of the science behind the best lens for birds against a blue sky background vs a brown tree background vs a snow background shooting under the lights vs three different backgrounds (as the bird makes the transition from a background of grass then to trees to the sky), vs....   Or maybe (like me) a shooter has to wear prescription glasses so can only afford a couple colors so it's gonna be one or the other no matter what.

I have taken lessons from several folks that make a living shooting trap: Phil Kiner, Harlan Campbell, Leo Harrison, Nora Ross, and others I've forgotten, and they all talk about how to select the best color for the conditions as part of their clinics.

On the other hand a guy I used to shoot with (R.I.P. Dan K.) used to shoot with one orange lens and one purple!   So go figure...   ?

• 1 month later...

I will tell you that crystal quality is extremely important... none of the ones here are real HD. Check out the Pilla glasses with Zeiss HD glasses... there are some cool videos on how they make the glasses and the technology behind light transmission. Put one on and you'll be amazed.

• 10 months later...

Look at Decot Hy-Wynd impact resistant shooting glasses- they come with various colored lenses that snap out- corrective and non- they sit high so as to not obstruct your line of sight- they are reasonable prices. Get a price,etc from Dr. Rivley in  Clarks Summit, PA. 

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Decot hi wides , have used them for years. Gives you plenty of room to see with no obstructions. Glasses sit high up on nose.

If targets are orange, get a lens color that highlights them like light orange, etc. Try several colors at a match or optometrist office to find the one that suits you the best. You might want lenses for shooting in bright sun and cloudy conditions.