Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti edge problem

93notch

My dad is having an issue with his edge in 40 S&W it won't go fully into battery. It goes about 3/4s of the way closed and won't go all the way. It seems to happen about every 3rd or 4th round. Rounds are all reloads, oal is 1.120. One of the rounds actually pushed back into the case a little bit as well. Just looking for some tips or tricks on these guns. Have tried multiple magazines are well.

What they said about case gauging your rounds and checking your crimp.

Also you might want to go a little longer on your OAL. STI's are long chambered. Most use a 1.180 OAL in an edge. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Case guage.

If you dont have a case guage. Just take out the barrel and see if it drops in and out of the barrel freely.

If the gun not going into battery AND getting set back. I would say the crimp wasn't enough. When you bell the case and it the crimp doesn't push the brass back onto the bullet then they wont chamber and cause the above listed issue.

Another way to check is put the bullet on the wall and push the back of the case. if the bullet pops back into the case then the crimp isn't enough.

Really sounds like ammo to me...but like everyone else said, could be a million different things.

Try the ammo first. I read somewhere else that the OAL makes a huge difference, so check that first. Then I think I would try the plink test next. I check the bulge with a strait edge and light behind it. I don't have it down to a perfect science yet, but I am getting there. I use once fired from a local range and a small amount will not pass the gauge after loading. When I look at the ones that don't pass, I do the strait edge deal and see if everything is "fairly" true.

I am also tempted to try the undersize die as well. I am just using the Dillion 40 dies now.

Let us know how it goes! And be careful!

I had a similar issue with my Eagle. The round would be out of the magazine but stuck 1/2 or 3/4 of the way into the chamber. Sometime I could just easily push the slide into battery but sometimes it wsa straight stuck. Great suggestions above. Definitely rule out ammo and magazines.

However, the gun should be able to run factory and reloaded ammo.

Once I ruled out ammo and mags I took it to a local gun smith. It ended up being a bad extractor. Too much tension. The extractor was pushing the round into the chamber and causing the malfunctions. Once he tuned a new extractor the gun has run 100% with everything I have put through it.

Just another issue it could be.

I had a similar issue with my Eagle. The round would be out of the magazine but stuck 1/2 or 3/4 of the way into the chamber. Sometime I could just easily push the slide into battery but sometimes it wsa straight stuck. Great suggestions above. Definitely rule out ammo and magazines.

However, the gun should be able to run factory and reloaded ammo.

Once I ruled out ammo and mags I took it to a local gun smith. It ended up being a bad extractor. Too much tension. The extractor was pushing the round into the chamber and causing the malfunctions. Once he tuned a new extractor the gun has run 100% with everything I have put through it.

Just another issue it could be.

Good info!

I will keep my eyes on mine a bit more closely now. I wouldn't have though that the extractor could cause a malfunction like that.

Thanks for posting that.

no we have not been able to try to trouble shoot it since there is a couple inches of snow on the ground and under 20 degrees,

Yea they would cause a reasonable delay in shooting. I guess I'm used to the Florida shooting season that doesn't end lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk