Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Issues with Bayou 180gr TCG... crooked

screwj

Things got better for me loading cast and coated bullets when I started using the Redding push through die instead of undersizing/oversizing the brass with the EGW die. Now I have also ponied up the dough for the Redding seating die and things are Mucho Bueno. I think the cases should last longer using the push through die over the EGW too. I'm not seeing as many split cases after firing.

• 3 years later...

I recognize I'm necroposting, but I've been hunting a solution to this for a few weeks now, and this thread is as close to my problem as any I've found.  I've tried all the things.  Barrel/case checking brass after resizing, "over"belling, checking crimp, etc.  Everything always mic's out, so today I finally bought some Berry's 147gr RN to see if maybe it's the bullets.  I've been using 135gr Swamp Poppers.  

I've done everything except for the U die or Redding Comp.  It's in my Midway cart, though, if these Berry's don't run.

9 minutes ago, JasonandMichelle said:

I recognize I'm necroposting, but I've been hunting a solution to this for a few weeks now, and this thread is as close to my problem as any I've found.  I've tried all the things.  Barrel/case checking brass after resizing, "over"belling, checking crimp, etc.  Everything always mic's out, so today I finally bought some Berry's 147gr RN to see if maybe it's the bullets.  I've been using 135gr Swamp Poppers.  

I've done everything except for the U die or Redding Comp.  It's in my Midway cart, though, if these Berry's don't run.

What specifically is your problem???

30%+/- of my rounds don’t case gage. About 50% of those will barrel check, and some will make it only if I rotate them a bit. Some make it all the way down, but only if I tap them. It’s almost like something is catching on the way into the barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds Like case bulge, try the Lee U die. that should cure the major part of your issue. for the last few rounds that  do not pass i use the LEE BULDGE BUSTER, 

My cases check after I resize. Is that the same thing? Maybe I’m misunderstanding case bulge.

1 minute ago, JasonandMichelle said:

My cases check after I resize. Is that the same thing? Maybe I’m misunderstanding case bulge.

what are you checking them with 

13 minutes ago, JasonandMichelle said:

30%+/- of my rounds don’t case gage. About 50% of those will barrel check, and some will make it only if I rotate them a bit. Some make it all the way down, but only if I tap them. It’s almost like something is catching on the way into the barrel.

If it were me, I'd try to figure out if the problem is the components or the brass.  Grab a new unfired case, pull the bullet and run it through your machine.  If it doesn't case gauge, the problem is somewhere in your process not a bulged case.

I am indeed using Dillon dies.  My crimp is consistently .377.  I have done all of the things suggested on pretty much any thread I can find, but for different bullets, Lee U sizing die, or Redding comp die.

Since I've already purchased the new bullets, I'll try those.  Then if that doesn't work, I'll probs head down the Lee U route.  

1 minute ago, JasonandMichelle said:

I am indeed using Dillon dies.  My crimp is consistently .377.  I have done all of the things suggested on pretty much any thread I can find, but for different bullets, Lee U sizing die, or Redding comp die.

Since I've already purchased the new bullets, I'll try those.  Then if that doesn't work, I'll probs head down the Lee U route.  

maybe your bullets are oversized for your gun, some guns do not like the oversized bullets...i run .355 

25 minutes ago, muncie21 said:

If it were me, I'd try to figure out if the problem is the components or the brass.  Grab a new unfired case, pull the bullet and run it through your machine.  If it doesn't case gauge, the problem is somewhere in your process not a bulged case.

I've done this, and you're right.  I think it's a process thing.

36 minutes ago, JasonandMichelle said:

I've done this, and you're right.  I think it's a process thing.

If it's somewhere in the process start with fundamentals- confirm case isn't the issue (done), confirm OAL is set correctly (below) after that it's removing bell and out of spec projectile that you're left with, oh and possible a defective case gauge and/or barrel; which is possible, but unlikely.

Confirm OAL: Grab a fired case (that you're sure  isn't glock'd or bulged) and insert a bullet without bell'ing or crimping the case.  Load this dummy round in a mag, rack the slide and chamber the round.  Carefully remove it and measure the overall length.  Set your seating die to this measurement and make a dummy round or two. They should case gauge and plunk/spin.  If not, you may have out of spec projectiles or they aren't seating properly.  Either way, through process of elimination you're down to one or two variables to test.

My personal experience with bayou is they are good, but I need to use a much shorter OAL with them. In both my old DVC and Atlas I need to be near factory 1.135 to 1.145 for them to chamber reliably. The 1.180-1.200 that you read about commonly on this forum does not work at all. They will not plunk at that length.

Edit... 40 cal

27 minutes ago, muncie21 said:

If it's somewhere in the process start with fundamentals- confirm case isn't the issue (done), confirm OAL is set correctly (below) after that it's removing bell and out of spec projectile that you're left with, oh and possible a defective case gauge and/or barrel; which is possible, but unlikely.

Confirm OAL: Grab a fired case (that you're sure  isn't glock'd or bulged) and insert a bullet without bell'ing or crimping the case.  Load this dummy round in a mag, rack the slide and chamber the round.  Carefully remove it and measure the overall length.  Set your seating die to this measurement and make a dummy round or two. They should case gauge and plunk/spin.  If not, you may have out of spec projectiles or they aren't seating properly.  Either way, through process of elimination you're down to one or two variables to test.

So I feel like an idiot.  I'm a bright guy.  Heck, I used to be an engineer (before turning into a pseudo sales guy).  I did this.  Started from scratch.  Gutted the entire toolhead and started over.

Works like a charm now.  The culprit?  Not enough bell.  I shaved a bullet once baaaaarely, and thought it was coincidence.  Did it heavily a second time, and decided it was time to set up the dies again. 

100 rounds later, consistently gage/barrel checking, consistent powder drops, and somewhat consistent OAL (+/-.003).  Sorry for the hassle, but thank y'all for helping me check off the boxes!!!

2 minutes ago, JasonandMichelle said:

100 rounds later, consistently gage/barrel checking, consistent powder drops, and somewhat consistent OAL (+/-.003).  Sorry for the hassle, but thank y'all for helping me check off the boxes!!!

Glad you got that part figured out. Now go do some live testing and let us know how they really perform!

Ok, so as it turns out I'm not an idiot.  I used three different types/manufacturers bullets, 100rds each (read: 300 total).  0% failure to gage check on two types, 23% failure to check on the third.  I reset the tool head for all three to ensure consistency (that sucked, and took way too much time).

The third bullet type won't be in my rotation.