Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

11 or 13 coil sti mag springs for 140mm with 2.5mm grams basepads

kellymc

Kind of confused which springs to put in my 140mm mags bodies with the 2.5 mm grams base pads. I used 13 coil this last year but now Im thinking they might have held more or loads easier with the 11 coil spring. Like to hear what is used with the best success.

Edited by kellymc

I have used the 11 coil springs in 140mm mag bodies with both the 2.5mm and 4mm Grams basepads (both STI and SV mags) and had no issues. My gunsmith, however, uses the 13 coil springs in all of his mags, both 140mm and 170mm. He likes the more "authoritative" push up the 13 coil springs give in the 140's. Depending on your individual mags, you might gain a round by using the 11 coil springs and then again, you might not.

Thanks

I found one 11 coil spring and it did not hold any more then the 13..Seems my mags are only 18 and 19 rounder's. Haven't had a FTF in a couple of years so maybe I should not complain.

Last year when I received my 13 coil gram springs the top coil had the follower sitting up in the front so much that the slide would not close on a empty mag. Do these normally need a little tweaking

Edited by kellymc

• 1 month later...

I hope you are shooting 40 S&W to only get 19 rds. I have some 140mm STI mags tuned by Robbie Wheaton (Wheaton Arms) in 9mm. Have the Grams followers, 11 coil springs and Dawson +1 SNL base pads. I can fit 25 rds w/o any issues.

• 4 years later...

If you look at the discription and details of my Follower Kits, I recommend to use an 11 coil spring for a mag up to 145mm long, and 13 coil for a 171mm mag. These length figures include a base pad attached. So, the only time I use a 13 coil spring in a short mag is when a +3 pad (11mm), is installed, and in a big stick, both for Open Division.

20 hours ago, TeamGE said:

If you look at the discription and details of my Follower Kits, I recommend to use an 11 coil spring for a mag up to 145mm long, and 13 coil for a 171mm mag. These length figures include a base pad attached. So, the only time I use a 13 coil spring in a short mag is when a +3 pad (11mm), is installed, and in a big stick, both for Open Division.

So what about a 155? 13 coil as well, right?