Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My wife loves the 1911 platform

bird

After shooting my HK MK23 (which seems like forever) i shot my old colt 1911(i gave it to my wife sometime back)

The 1911 feels like a "toy" in my hands after shooting the MK23, it is so small yet fits my hand like nothing else.

I have been looking at the SVI's and i am really starting to want one.

How much do they cost?

I bet they are expensive but they sure are purdy...

Shooting the 1911 with the Enos grip makes sense with the good 'ol JMB design...

Damn i really love learning....

Bird, I transition back and forth between the old Springfield single stack that I started with some years ago and an STI that I built in 1998.  I was able to put my STI together for about $900 which is the cost of the parts.  But, like Ron says, $1600 is pretty much the bottom end of the price range unless you build 'em yo' sef.   The nice things about the STI or SVI guns are:

1) You have a mag well big enough to stuff a Sears&Roebuck catalog into. (Yes, I still manage to blow some reloads.)

2) It feels like the weight is in the barrel. Kinda like shooting a 686 or Python as opposed to a thin barreled revolver.

3) Ramped frame and barrel is a low cost upgrade.  I recommend this for safety and reliability.

4) These guns are made of tool grade steel.  4140 I believe.  That's what a lot of good quality wrenches are made of.  I have put about 35,000 rounds through mine and it is no worse for the wear.

The STI or SVI is worth the extra bucks if you are going to burn lots of ammo.  I would recommend the .40 S&W over the .45.   And a bull barrel if you don't want to shoot IDPA with it.  They say the best advertisement is a satisfied customer!

bird, good luck finding one in PRK.  The only way to get one is through a private party.  No frames allowed under the stupid law.  About the only hi-cap 1911 you can buy is the Para's.  So essentially you end up buying a complete gun and stripping it down and building it back up with new components.  Not the best way to customize a 1911, but it's the only way.

PRK isn't out to ban guns, because they can't.  They'll just make laws to highly limit what can get in.  Like the AB1219 smart gun law, if passed will go into effect in 2006 and there's no grandfather clause like the assault rifle ban.

Sorry about getting political, but I wanted a STI or SV also, ended up buying a Para since no one wants to sell their used STI or SV's.

PRK, the only state that tells you what guns are dangerous and when you can turn on your light.

I've often thought the perfect gun for someone with small and/or weak hands would be a medium-sized 1911 like a Commander or Officer's ACP in 9mm. (Assuming of course the level of dedication necessary to learn the single-action auto well enough to carry it safely.) I actually had a 9mm Officer's built on a Caspian frame and slide. At first I thought I might be pushing it by asking BarSto to do me up a 9mm Officer's barrel. But the folks at BarSto said they'll make anything the customer wants. They've made Officer's ACP barrels chambered for 10mm Auto and .45 Win-Mag. Compared to that a 9mm was nothing.

Phil, the only problem with that is we in the PRK still have to buy a complete gun.  Can't just buy a frame to build it up.  It would be nice if SV could sell the complete gun, then give a refund for all the parts that get stripped off of it.   They can then use the parts to build another Kalifornia gun.

Check out the SVI site, they do sell complete guns. In fact I have one of the new MMI guns due soon. I'll post a review when I get it. But they sell complete open, limited, limited 10 (single stack) modified etc. and I'd doubt you'd have to do anything to them that isn't already state of the art. These guns come ready to run! The first MMI I tried was incredible. All the parts are what I'd put on anyways. AS I said check out their site and see for yourself.

Pat

Hey Pat,

The SV site has some nice stuff. One of the first guns that comes up has like six ports in the barrel and three in the comp. Is this a little much for the new pf or would this be what one would look for? The gun your talking about is it the modified that fits in the box with the OKO? Now that is a mean looking hotrod.

(Edited by Jon Merricks at 7:52 pm on June 11, 2001)

PRK is too screwed up right now.  Open guns are technically illegal if it has a threaded barrel.  It's classified as an assault weapon.

The big question is how many guns SVI is willing to submit for testing.  They must submit 3 of each model for testing and a lot of money.  Even one gun that's made in blued steel and stainless counts as two different models.  So the cost is outrageous.  Most companies cannot justify the expenditures to sell maybe 10 guns a year.

Perata and all the other politicians don't mind if we all moved out of state.  That what he said before the Olympics because of the girl in SoCal that couldn't compete with her Olympic target pistol because it was classified as an assault weapon.  I think she ended up moving.

By the way, for those of you not in PRK, this does apply to you if you shoot in Kalifornia.  Especially if you shoot the Steel Challenge.  Open guns with a threaded barrel are technically illegal to bring into the state.  Last year there was an exemption granted by Att. Gen. Lockyer for the End of Trails event.  Haven't heard anything similiar with the Steel Challenge.