Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PPC practice with limited ammo

cptgabriel

I'll take you up on that and hook you up with a real bill Davis ppc gun. I shot it when my partner and I shot a team match and took the world two man team record. We shot a 599 and 598 out of 600. I'm sure someone has done better by now.

Do you reload? If so what is your load?

You could be sure I'll do that and thanks a lot!

But 5 days a week on shooting range is quite impossible for me unfortunately, so I try 50 rounds on 50 yards and 20 rounds on 25 yards lane once a week :(

PS. What is "Kentucky" ?

If you have the facilities set out 4 targets at 50 yrds, one for the left barricade, one for the right, one for prone and one for standing. Focus on a good steady,without stopping, straight back trigger pull keeping the sights level. Keep a note book to record your findings. The bullets will impact the target differently, but consistently, based on shooting position and lighting conditions. Slight adjustments in aim will be necessary to shoot your best score. It's been a while since I have watched it but I think John Pride talks a little about this in his "Winning PPC" video.

I'll take you up on that and hook you up with a real bill Davis ppc gun. I shot it when my partner and I shot a team match and took the world two man team record. We shot a 599 and 598 out of 600. I'm sure someone has done better by now.

Do you reload? If so what is your load?

We aren't allowed to reload, barely finding .38 spl (most usual Sellier& Bellot fmj or Geco wad cutters). Revolver isn't very popular here, still now.

Hang with the revolver and you will win. It is king at the 50. I started with a python and went to a s&w 686. That was the standard here. You will need a partridge front and adjustable blade rear. My 686 took 1 and 1/5 turnes down at 50 for a neck hold.

My decision is made, I'll hang with revolver.

Also I noticed some similarities I begin with Pythons , looking to change with a 686.

Hope to score my 599 :)

Is 6"-er a must have, or it works on 4" too?

Edited by cptgabriel

6 inch barrel is a must. The longer sight radius is necessary at the 50. You will need a partridge front and adjustable rear sights. As I said I cranked my rear sight down 1 and 1/2 turnes for a neck hold at the 50. Remember to crank it back up before moving back to the 25.

We shot open, distinguished, 4 inch duty pistol, off duty 2 inch, and semi auto. All of my revolvers were s&w's. The python had to go because the action was too different.

Edited by captain037

• 4 weeks later...

Hang with the revolver and you will win. It is king at the 50. I started with a python and went to a s&w 686. That was the standard here. You will need a partridge front and adjustable blade rear. My 686 took 1 and 1/5 turnes down at 50 for a neck hold.

As the first European to qualify High Master with an auto, I disagree ;)

But yes, most people seem to do better with a revolver than an auto.

For European PPC race guns, Merkle Tuning is the place to go and they can tune up an existing gun, or build you a racer from scratch.

Edited by gose

dry fire, dry fire, dry fire.

And practice more at the 50ym line. Once you step back to the 25y line the target looks enormous.

Indeed ! :D

And ... what a difference between Colt Python stock trigger and SW with a Wolf spring kit !

Edited by cptgabriel

Pretty good shootin' there, Hoss! :cheers:

If you can get a patridge front sight it will help your scores. The red ramp front is not good for the accuracy you need.

It's hard to tell where the top is mostly, but the sides can be a little blurry too.

Edited by Toolguy

Some great advice in this thread!

I shot my way into Master for 1500 Revolver using a factory S&W 686, the red ramp sight is very inconsistent, so definitely agree on going to a patridge front sight (plus using sight black). I was very surprised at the instant score improvements when having a nice square black sight picture. I now regard red ramp sights as novelties cursed by the devil.

Anybody have a reduced target that can be printed to dry fire practice at a reduced distance preferably at an indoor distance. I've found several but not sure on what the distance would be in order to simulate the 50. Math was never my subject, now if my teachers would of told me how much it would have helped shooting a precision rifle, things may have been a little different.

Thanks,

JG

Anybody have a reduced target that can be printed to dry fire practice at a reduced distance preferably at an indoor distance. I've found several but not sure on what the distance would be in order to simulate the 50. Math was never my subject, now if my teachers would of told me how much it would have helped shooting a precision rifle, things may have been a little different.

Thanks,

JG

I just sat down in front of the TV and aimed for something on the screen. That way I could dry fire and watch the news at the same time :)

The most important thing isnt really the target, it's getting your positions and trigger pulls right and you can see just fine if your front sight is moving against a TV backdrop.