Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Electronic plug type ear pro

Ultimo-Hombre

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a pair of custom molded foam/rubber ones I got at the CA state trap shoot, I think they were about 60. I like them, they're comfortable. I THINK they are protection enough but I always worry about that. The problem is I can't hear the normal talking.

I really want to get a good pair of electronic ones (over ear are just too hot), nobody makes any in the 500$ range that have a high db rating?

Red

I have a pair of custom molded foam/rubber ones I got at the CA state trap shoot, I think they were about 60. I like them, they're comfortable. I THINK they are protection enough but I always worry about that. The problem is I can't hear the normal talking.

I really want to get a good pair of electronic ones (over ear are just too hot), nobody makes any in the 500$ range that have a high db rating?

Red

Custom molded electronics start at $800 per pair for the cheapest analog ones from what I found.

I have an appointment on Friday to get molded at an audiologist. Going to order the ear Inc waterproof digital electronics. Supposed to take 3 weeks to get once they receive my molds. I'll post my thoughts once I get them.

I spoke with the guys from ear at the nationals. Their stuff sounded good. Do they discount you for the price of the impression?

Not that I know of. I talked to a guy named Chad on the phone after emailing them for more info on their waterproof plugs. I didnt ask about discounting the cost but I told him I would have an audiologist do impressions and he didn't mention refunding that cost. Hear pro is the only company I've heard of doing that.

Got my impressions done Friday and sending them in tomorrow. Should have plugs in about 3 weeks. Impressions were $70.

I've been shooting with soundgear for two years now. Hove never had any issues at all with them. I have some hearing loss previous so my insurance actually paid for the premium model as a hearing aid. A local audiologist where I shoot does the basic soundgears for around $450. I've even used them when I RO'd nationals last year and they even did pretty good with the open guns.

• 2 weeks later...

I just received my Westone DefendEar II's last week after waiting 2 weeks for the molds get sent in. They are excellent, I should have bought them 2 years ago. I usually wear amplified muffs over plugs, but the muffs tend to make me feel hot and give me a headache after an hour or so. I have not been around anyone shooting an open gun yet, but for any non-comped gun they work great, especially in the rapid fire mode. It is so much more convenient to be able to hear people at the range and hear what is going on around you especially when practicing.

I just started using the Peltor TEP-100. I use the sure fire tips on them and I get excellent fit and function. I was on the range with M249's and they were better than the pro ear muffs that I was using before. They have a case and the case serves as the recharging dock and it uses AA battery's.

Anyone have experience with Ear Inc. as a company or with their electronic protection?

I would like to follow up and say that Ear Inc. had excellent customer service. I have a set of plugs from them now but haven't shot with them yet. Quality seems good and they fit well.

Anyone have experience with Ear Inc. as a company or with their electronic protection?

I would like to follow up and say that Ear Inc. had excellent customer service. I have a set of plugs from them now but haven't shot with them yet. Quality seems good and they fit well.

• 1 month later...

I know many shooters who are very happy with Ear Inc, and they are highly recommended. I have a $200 custom set I had made last fall. Wore them to range once and found they offered little protection. I can even see visible space between plastic and ear on one of the plugs. Spent weeks lubing, twisting and pushing to get them to fit. No luck. They're sitting in the box with old holsters and other mistake purchases. Wrote vendor, but since the rep is a traveling salesman, there's really no service that can be had.

I had the opposite experience. I had to contact them because I bought their waterproof ear plugs before they were listed on the site so everything was done by phone and email. I used their contact info on their site and got email back answering my initial questions, I got some follow-up questions answered the day I was filling out my order form by email. I emailed them again after I received my plugs asking for clarification on the programs (this was still before the info was published on their site) and got a phone call from an audiologist answering me. Overall I had contact with three different people. I would try contacting them again.

I've been using my plugs hunting and shooting a lot since I got them. They fit well and I've worn them for 8+ hours duck hunting a few times. I forget I have them in. I've used them enough that I just put the 3rd set of batteries into them.

I've had multiple contacts with rep AND the president of EAR. No resolution. It may not be their intent, but the impression I walked away with is "we guarantee they fit so the problem is you."

Edited by NewColonial

• 1 month later...

Been using these for about a year. They charge in the case from AA batteries or micro USB. Last 16 hours on a charge. Zero complaints.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-TEP-100-Tactical-Digital-Earplug/dp/B00PABOJ0Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1457099369&sr=8-1&keywords=peltor+tep-100

Edited by Shadyscott999

I just received my Westone DefendEar II's last week after waiting 2 weeks for the molds get sent in. They are excellent, I should have bought them 2 years ago. I usually wear amplified muffs over plugs, but the muffs tend to make me feel hot and give me a headache after an hour or so. I have not been around anyone shooting an open gun yet, but for any non-comped gun they work great, especially in the rapid fire mode. It is so much more convenient to be able to hear people at the range and hear what is going on around you especially when practicing.

DefendEar II's are very impressive, love mine. And I shot open, they work great.