Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Old" new guy in Gold Canyon (well kind of)....

superslowmo

Been out of "practical" shooting for 15 years (last match was IDPA State in 2000).

Getting back in, staying with limited/production class since I have multiple money pit hobbies.

I guess the real question is what has changed in all of this time? I noticed that to make major you only have to hit a PF of 165, and 9mm can be pumped up as long as it is run in an open pistol.

Where does 357 Sig fall into the mix?

So many questions, and a ton of reading to do.......

Welcome home amigo!

Can't tell you what changed as in 2000 I had yet to be saved by the glorious love for competitive pistol shooting?

.357 sig can now be used to make major in limited, an exception to the .40 and larger bullet.

Hope you got to keep your cool kids 4 digit USPSA member number!

So I can run my G22 in either caliber (357/40), I am digging that!

Needless to say my member number IIRC was 5 digit, but should be resurrected soon now that I have paid up for a few years.

I have more member/license numbers that I care to remember- USPSA, USAC, USAT...... I may even go for IDPA again, just trying to wade back in slowly.

Now I have to figure out what club/range memberships I want to invest in, and how/where to start. I did some reading only to discover that I will need to take a safety/fam class for Rio Solado.

Guess I will have to pay my "dues" all over again!

So I can run my G22 in either caliber (357/40), I am digging that!

Needless to say my member number IIRC was 5 digit, but should be resurrected soon now that I have paid up for a few years.

I have more member/license numbers that I care to remember- USPSA, USAC, USAT...... I may even go for IDPA again, just trying to wade back in slowly.

Now I have to figure out what club/range memberships I want to invest in, and how/where to start. I did some reading only to discover that I will need to take a safety/fam class for Rio Solado.

Guess I will have to pay my "dues" all over again!

I know zip about rio salado, but do you really have to take a safety class if you are a classified USPSA member?

Does that mean if I have the opportunity to hit a match there during my travels I have to take a safety class?

D'oh! Sorry about mentioning Rio, didn't notice that you were in PNW.

I don't rightly know for sure, I am trying to figure it all out myself. I doubt that with you being a classified USPSA member that it would be required. I believe it applies to me since I am returning as an unclassified shooter.

I am sure there is a member here on the board that can answer for certain.

IDPA matches are held at the Phoenix Rod and Gun Club in South Phoenix (about 40-45 minutes from you). They are worth the trip and a great bunch of people. Check out their website.

Rio Salado doesn't conduct IDPA matches, but they are chock full of USPSA and steel matches. They have a website as well. To my knowledge, you need to attend a short safety class before shooting a match at Rio Salado. Not sure of the details, as the process is dynamic and changes over time.

A great place to start shooting again would be the Tuesday Night Steel matches at Rio. Not far from where you live, tons of fun, and a great chance to get in the social circle of shooting in this great area.

Do it!

IDPA matches are held at the Phoenix Rod and Gun Club in South Phoenix (about 40-45 minutes from you). They are worth the trip and a great bunch of people. Check out their website.

Rio Salado doesn't conduct IDPA matches, but they are chock full of USPSA and steel matches. They have a website as well. To my knowledge, you need to attend a short safety class before shooting a match at Rio Salado. Not sure of the details, as the process is dynamic and changes over time.

A great place to start shooting again would be the Tuesday Night Steel matches at Rio. Not far from where you live, tons of fun, and a great chance to get in the social circle of shooting in this great area.

Do it!

Thanks for the info sir!

I have been looking at Rio, PR&G, and Cactus. Just payed for a membership at Rio since I figure I will be spending a bit of time there, and I also sent off an email requesting info on the safety class for 3/9.

Tuesday Night Steel might be an option (though I work until 6P in Chandler). I just have reservations about it, only because I always sucked at steel. I guess it is time to get over it and get into some "bang and clang".