Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

To Challenge or not?

Just wondering if I should shoot at a local steel challenge competition this weekend. Never shot one before, so I was wondering if I shouldn't just stay at home and practice until I can be more presentable at the regular IPSC stages. Isn't Steel a whole other deal?

After 4 years of USPSA/IPSC shooting, I shot my first Steel Challenge type match in March and had a blast! I shot my second match this past weekend. I highly recommend it because it'll make you look like a god on steel at an IPSC match. It also makes you think about efficient engagement order and getting better target index times.

I don't know why so many people have trouble with steel at IPSC matches. Even the plates are as wide as the A zone.

The only thing I do different from paper is I don't let the sight settle back down for a second shot. I move the gun to the next target as soon as I call the shot.

Here's my quote on steel.

"Steel is humbling."

It separate the men from the boys.  Shooting steel is hard and unforgiving.  You either hit it or you didn't.  At the same time, it is addictive like a drug.  Once you start, you can't stop.

I think steel is the best practice for newbies.  You can only shoot as fast as you can hit them.  You have to pay attention to your sight picture at all times.  It also gives you instant feedback when you miss.

Never shy away from a challenge...so to speak. You gotta start somewhere. Back in '92 a friend asked if I'd like to shoot Bianchi. I wasn't really competitive at the time and wondered the same thing, but I said what the hell, built a gun and went. Glad I did, had a great time, learned much, and met this dude named Brian E.

Just go for it you won't regret it.

Pat

(Edited by Pat Harrison at 9:38 am on May 19, 2001)

The first time I ever shot an open gun was at a Man on Man steel match.  I had watched Pat practice on steel at the range and got hooked on the sound of steel getting hit.  So I asked Pat if he could put on a match at the club.  There was a lot of people that felt the same was.  "What's it like, Will I enjoy it like IPSC."  After the match everyone involved loved it.  Even the guys that never won a string said they would be back in a heart beat.  The part I like is that you are head to head against someone else.  Theres no gaming out the stage. You either hit them all first or you lose.  It the best match I ever shot and the biggest rush.

You must go!!! You won't regret it.

P.S. Pat we really need to look into putting another match on.  Outdoor Team Man on Man.

(Edited by Pat Harrison at 3:47 pm on May 21, 2001)

I've noticed that new shooters prefer to shoot steel due to the instant feedback.  Everybody loves to hear that "CLANG!"  When my wife was getting ready for her elk hunt, it was a pain to get her to shoot paper w/ the .270 (so I stopped trying) but when she switched to steel she loved it.  When shooting paper, you don't know the result until it's scored.  With Steel you know right now.  She tells me that it really increased her confidence.  Steel is fun!

Well I didn't make it. (Sorry guys, I feel as if I've let everybody down...) A combination of work and family overloads done me in. BUT I do live within driving distance of the SWPL and the SCSA, so I get to have steel challenges once or twice a month! Yay for me!

No seriously...

Any of you who atch television regularly may have noticed the finale of a TV game show involving a Boot Camp. Well, you may or may not know that the last episode was split into two parts. Well guess when the network ordered the split?? (And then guess who works on the shot as an editor...)

Yeah, I gotta get a job that doesn't interfere with my livin'...

(Well I could make videos for Brian :-)

In the meantime I'm running through all those drills (mainly just trying to get through them right now) and so by the time the next SC rolls by I think this post will have a different tune...

Thanks for your support, guys. I really do appreciate it.

(You notice I'm an Enosverse junkie. There's a reason...)