Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Open Gun

ELSOS

Yep you will always lose some but hey if I worry about it then I'm not really having fun which is why I am shooting USPSA in the first place. Don't get me wrong, I am still competitive so I do want to shoot stages as well as possible and if I win my Class or Division then that is just icing on the cake. Even a bad day shooting is still way better than a great day working in my book :)

do I like my 38 super open gun? yes. Would I have any problem shooting a 9mm open gun? no. I don't think the pressure issues are as bad as people make out. I know plenty of guys who reload their 9mm major brass many times. Like most of us those particular cases are usually lost before they split or fail. They do seem to suffer from loose primer pockets a little sooner in the reload count than guys shooting super but certainly not after only a couple loadings. If you can load a 38 super to major say 10 times safely I'd say the 9mm number would be 8 or there abouts (totally random numbers here but my point is it's fairly close).

personally picking up brass or loosing brass is not an issue for me in super. the guys I shoot with (whether at club level or state level matches) will all pick up brass for the shooter who has just shot while the stage is being reset. So after the scoring is done 3 people will come up with your brass and your mags. You return the favour while others are shooting.

There is a little more flexibility with super when it comes to powder choice and OAL etc but again the 9mm is not far behind. we are talking small degrees in difference. If you are setup to run 9mm and the super brass cost is a worry then go 9mm. if you aren't worried about paying for brass then super is still a good option. :)

I reload 9 major brass all the time without any issues. I don't feel limited by bullet or powder either. I use 115, 121, 124, and some 125's. I use AutoComp, HS-6, Silhouette, and VV-3n37. All shoot well, make major and work the comp. The only real difference I see between 38 Super and 9 Major is the price of the brass and feeling like you need to pick it up.

Life is full of choices and just because my choices are different than others doesn't mean mine are better or worse than others.

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking that 9mm Major was the way to go. Now the question is a 2011 style gun or CZ Czechmate. I will be able to get her to shoot a 2011 but not so much a Czechmate. She has small hands and its difficult to find something she's comfortable with. Anyone have experience with the Czechmate? My production gun is an ACCU, is the grip on the Czechmate similar?

The Czechmate has a grip reduction from the factory that combined with thin aluminum grips, make it feel much more similar in the hand to Accushadow (CM a bit thicker) vs tactical sport (CM much smaller), even though its based on TS frame. The gun is fairly heavy with steel comp and full steel frame compared to 2011, with drawback of being heavier/less nimble target to target, but advantage of being less harsh than 2011 with polymer grip - lots of mass to help absorb recoil. But I imagine you can duplicate that feel a little with 2011 and heavy steel grip if you chose.

All that said, if you are not already invested in CZ in terms of equipment or know how, 2011 is going to be a better platform between the two IMHO generally due to frame/gun availability, a little more flexibility loading 9mm longer (mags and barrel throat), and folks that know how to work on it.

BTW, folks that shoot my Czechmate major power factor are surprised how soft it feels to shoot compared to a 2011, it's not perfectly flat, but I don't loose the dot.

I used to load exclusively 9 maj in my Glock open. After several reloads the case looked like a belted case after resizing. My colleagues in 2011 9s also experienced the same. Now Im in 38s and again loading maj. have not seen this deformation in the cases after several loadings. Out here in my neck of woods theres not much difference in cost of 9 and 38. Also they are all picked up by range boys after you shoot. But I can not buy the safe pressure arguments for the 9. Itmay not crack but that belted bulge in the lower portion of the shells is too obvious to ignore.

Also I notice every time this issues appear in the forum, the 9ers always come out strong aggressively defending the 9 almost to the extent that it sounds indeffensible. If I believe my cal. of choice is good enough theres no need to justify my choice to the public at every turn. :))

Edited by BoyGlock

every time this issues appear, the 9ers come out defending the 9 to the extent it sounds indeffensible. If I believe my cal. of choice is good enough theres no need to justify my choice. :))

I shoot 9mm major in my TruBor - for the past 7 years now.

I've never shot a .38 super, and I'm sure they are perfectly suitable.

But, I never "defend" the 9mm major or try to "justify my choice" - I merely respond

to the frequent questions asked here on BE (should I use a 9mm major or a

.38 super). :cheers:

I've never had a problem with my 9mm major, and I share that info, freely,

with anyone interested in making an informed decision on 9mm vs .38 super

question. :bow:

BUT, Never defend or justify - just share information based on my experience

(the purpose of this type of Forum). :cheers:

every time this issues appear, the 9ers come out defending the 9 to the extent it sounds indeffensible. If I believe my cal. of choice is good enough theres no need to justify my choice. :))

I shoot 9mm major in my TruBor - for the past 7 years now.

I've never shot a .38 super, and I'm sure they are perfectly suitable.

But, I never "defend" the 9mm major or try to "justify my choice" - I merely respond

to the frequent questions asked here on BE (should I use a 9mm major or a

.38 super). :cheers:

I've never had a problem with my 9mm major, and I share that info, freely,

with anyone interested in making an informed decision on 9mm vs .38 super

question. :bow:

BUT, Never defend or justify - just share information based on my experience

(the purpose of this type of Forum). :cheers:

Well said Hi Power!

Also I notice every time this issues appear in the forum, the 9ers always come out strong aggressively defending the 9 almost to the extent that it sounds indeffensible. If I believe my cal. of choice is good enough theres no need to justify my choice to the public at every turn.

This is a common method used in debate. Criticize a position (major nine is bad and causes dangerous case head expansion) and then squash any rebuttal by labeling the rebuttal as "indefensible" and "aggressive."

• 3 weeks later...