Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Oakley Shooting Glasses

dpollard

can you please expand on the 'issue with the frame at the top?' my deal with impact-resistant glasses is they're just too tight against my head (all corners of the lenses/frame). I realize that reduces the chance of stuff getting in or to my eyes, but I fog up tremendously and then can see nothing which doesn't help my scores all that much. would be awesome to find a pair that had more of a sunglasses - looser fit and thus had some airflow.

I too have the problem with fogging. The pair I linked in my OP has vents cut into the lens, which I am hoping will reduce or eliminate the fogging issue. It is very frustrating to fog up right in the middle of a stage.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This ... With the array option or the single TR45 lens. The 45 means 45% light transmission. The others are much darker

I've gone with the Ballistic M Frames for shooting w/ ON ear pro.. Much thinner frame which after some time on the range makes me feel less like they have implanted into my skull. Used Radar Range in the past and they were great, except for the above mentioned issue. If you're wearing IN ear pro I'd say either M frame or Radar Range are good to go.

I switch between my Project Rudy glasses (set up for low light conditions) and my Oakley Fast Jacket's ( polarized lenses) for shooting. The nice thing about the Fast Jacket is that you can quickly and easily swap out lenses and Oakley sells a wide range of replacement lenses for different applications.

I seem to scratch the lens about once every year or so and the replacement lenses aren't that expensive so I've stuck with this model for shooting and just everyday usage.

I am an Oakley snob. I wont wear anything but Oakley.

I would say the glasses that you are looking at are great but I would go for Prizm Road instead. They are closer to the Mil Spec Prizms. Light transition etc. If you could wait a bit I would opt for the Oakley Tombstone.

The one person in this thread was talking about the frame above their nose. With the Tombstone, they made the lens bigger and eliminated the top part of the frame and made a very unique system for switching the lenses out for another color etc. The also did that for the new glasses that will be released for bicyclist, called the Jawbreaker. Oakley make s a great product and there is a new VP of design, Brian Takumi. Look for some more great things this year to be released.

And I believe Oakley sponsors the top 3 gun team in the nation.

can you please expand on the 'issue with the frame at the top?' my deal with impact-resistant glasses is they're just too tight against my head (all corners of the lenses/frame). I realize that reduces the chance of stuff getting in or to my eyes, but I fog up tremendously and then can see nothing which doesn't help my scores all that much. would be awesome to find a pair that had more of a sunglasses - looser fit and thus had some airflow.

The "frame top issue" relates to the frame being an obstruction to your vision when shooting rifles benched or prone. Due the the angle of the head not being completely vertical, your head and face is facing at a downward angle which means your eyes then have to look "up" to see straight ahead through your sighting system. The further this angle is exaggerated, the more you will end up with the upper frame bar being in your direct field of vision to the point to where it can actually be in the way. And if the glasses have some thick plastic frame or separate lenses with a vision blocking nose-piece, all that conspires to get in the way. Rolling your head upwards would sound like a logical solution, but with gun ergonomics set and limits of comfortable flex in the neck, its just not an option. Clear, one-piece lenses with minimal or no top frame is the only real once-size-fits-all solution.

Anyone use these lenses? Like them?

SI BALLISTIC M FRAME® 3.0 PRIZM™

MATTE BLACK W/PRIZM™ TR22

Yes. They are awesome. I bought the lens array (TR22 and TR45) and find I use the TR22s 98% of the time while shooting. The other 2% is when I forgot to change the lenses from when I went biking.

If any of you have Verizon you can grab a pair of Radars right now from their rewards program for a whopping $30. They are polished black frames w photocromatic path profile lenses

Thanks for the tip. I went in and ordered just now. Went back to get a second pair for the kid and they are now sold out.

Anyone use these lenses? Like them?

SI BALLISTIC M FRAME® 3.0 PRIZM™

MATTE BLACK W/PRIZM™ TR22

Yes. They are awesome. I bought the lens array (TR22 and TR45) and find I use the TR22s 98% of the time while shooting. The other 2% is when I forgot to change the lenses from when I went biking.
You like the darker lenses more?

Oakley does support the shooting sports as much or more than any manufacturer I have seen, at least in regards to 3 gun. At the 3GN regional last weekend in St George they had no less than 20 Pairs of Radar Range and Flak Jackets on the table. Plus at the Surefire Match last November they gave away even more. Plus they give popular glasses designed for the sport, not discontinued fashion lenses they can't get rid of :-)

If any of you have Verizon you can grab a pair of Radars right now from their rewards program for a whopping $30. They are polished black frames w photocromatic path profile lenses

Where, link?

I'm with Verizon and would definitely buy that deal.

Where, link?

Log into your vzw acct and you will see the rewards points. Follow the link to the rewards site and go to merchandise and search for Radar

They are currently out of stock so keep an eye out if they post more

Edited by IntenseImage

Where, link?

Log into your vzw acct and you will see the rewards points. Follow the link to the rewards site and go to merchandise and search for Radar

They are currently out of stock so keep an eye out if they post more

they must have sold out. Lowest price radar I see is 100 bucks

but these will never be prescription...

Oakley bought out ESS a few years ago. This is what they did with the ESS patents. if you can find an old set if ESS prescription inserts that mount with the nose piece behind the lens, they may work. These are overpriced for what they are. I will stick to the ESS I got from my rep when they sold out.