Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The furnace going out when it's 10 degrees outside

Fordfan485

I have a stupid high efficiency gas furnace in my attic that has a condensate line that drains to the outside. Well the line froze. It looks like someone turned a bathtub faucet on and it completely froze. So needless to say the furnace turns it's self off when it can't drain. The HVAC techs response is to go buy space heaters. I also have water in the inducer motor and a frozen puddle on the plywood floor in he attic. And to top this shit off we are going to get 7-8 in of snow then freezing rain Monday night and the low later in the week is 3 degrees.

Edited by Fordfan485

Happened to a tenant in my office building. Use a wider diameter thick rubber drain line and reroute it. Cover everything with insulation. Put a heater on the unit now to defrost and restart . I'll thaw fast. Run a temp new line until things warm up.

I have an upstairs laundry room that I have nightmares about. I would never sleep if I had a water source of any kind in a frozen attic. That puddle of ice will eventually melt and then what? Shivers down my spine!