Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

percentage of front sight focus vs target sight focus

3djedi

hey Rob, glad you're 'back'

the wrist is healing well if not fast enough (at least for me). Surgery was 8 weeks ago so now I just have a neoprene wrap on the wrist for the next 4 weeks which is more of a reminder than anything else that I'm not quite done healing yet. started strength training last Thurs ... (right hand strength registered 98 lbs on their 'grip o meter' and 46 lbs on my left ...yikes! a long way to go). I've been cleared to start shooting a 22 again but not 9mm but my wrist has not really been ready. Shot about 50 rds last week at my steel match while I was standing around as MD with nothing to do. I'll be heading out over the next 5 days to try it again and see how it feels. I've been doing 5-10 mins of DF every other night & the wrist feels better each time ....got basically 100% range of motion back but because the interal sutures they used don't dissolve for 5 months (the surgery takes 3 months to heal & the only other sutures only last 3 weeks before dissolving. The upshot of which is that for the next 3 months the wrist is going to hurt when I use it because the tendons which wrap around the unlner bone are right over the repair site and get aggravated by the suture every time it moves ....

As far as your discovery, I agree completely and its something we talked about when you were here the week before my surgery. When I shot those 'super squad' times off and on in training it was when I was practicing in speed mode & would just let it go, shooting right on the ragged edge on control. The first time I shot Smoke & Hope in 1.64 secs & Roundabout in 1.7 secs I almost couldn't believe the timer. Things are obviously different with a dot but when I simple stopped trying to refine the sight picture and just accepted that when the dot was on a plate I'd better be pulling the trigger, kit was amazing how fast I could transition between targets ...

One of the things I've done in my down time is revamp my training plan and I've made up a couple of laminated cards to carry around when training and one of the items is to "push speed" which among other things means stop refining the sight picture ....

Edited by Nimitz

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as your discovery, I agree completely and its something we talked about when you were here the week before my surgery. When I shot those 'super squad' times off and on in training it was when I was practicing in speed mode & would just let it go, shooting right on the ragged edge on control. The first time I shot Smoke & Hope in 1.64 secs & Roundabout in 1.7 secs I almost couldn't believe the timer. Things are obviously different with a dot but when I simple stopped trying to refine the sight picture and just accepted that when the dot was on a plate I'd better be pulling the trigger, kit was amazing how fast I could transition between targets ...

One of the things I've done in my down time is revamp my training plan and I've made up a couple of laminated cards to carry around when training and one of the items is to "push speed" which among other things means stop refining the sight picture ....

Ken, I have been reading your Diary entries regularly. Glad you are on the mend. Don't push it and undo the repairs!

Sometimes, it is amazing how HARD we make this shooting sport. Often the right thing is the most obvious/simple thing. If we want to have faster times, we have to do EVERYTHING faster! Yes, our sight picture will not be perfect or comfortable on easy targets when pushing it. Yes, our trigger control might be nearly non existent on them too (Grip hard with weak hand to offset most bad trigger control!). Yes we will throw more C hits and occasional D's. Yes we will not feel comfortable while performing, the same way we can when throttled back and cruising through. BUT, we will see a higher HF if we have the underlying fundamental skills and foundation, which will ALLOW us to control the shooting at a much higher speed.

I am looking forward to Area 1 to test my mettle. Sunday, in my Cody match, I literally broke my own speed barrier, finally. Here is the link to my match Video from Sunday.

Edited by Robco

The key I was missing = accepting a less refined sight picture when the targets permitted.

It doesn't take any longer to see a more refined sight picture, your eyes see the same image, just your brain isn't processing it. Just break the shot when you see your sights on target, not when you confirm your sights on target

The key I was missing = accepting a less refined sight picture when the targets permitted.

It doesn't take any longer to see a more refined sight picture, your eyes see the same image, just your brain isn't processing it. Just break the shot when you see your sights on target, not when you confirm your sights on target

That is a fair distinction, and probably true. But semantics aside, the whole point is MENTALLY deciding to not wait for a refined sight picture. It takes focus and INTENTION to shoot faster. Takes discipline to LET GO of the feeling that we need more visual information for the shot, when we do not. Training creates this intention, and it was almost magical in my case, how quickly this change occurred. Of course, I have shot 40 matches (including 5 majors), and shot 20K rounds as and M class since Dec 7th, 2014 all working on getting ready for this change. That finished the foundation skills necessary to enable me to pull off and get away with this compromised visual input and still shoot 92 to 94% of points possible in match performances.

Edited by Robco

You are just training yourself to shoot faster with less visual imput instead of training to see more. A lot of shots need no visual imput at all, not the best way to shoot them. Based on your video, it seems like you take a lot of extra shots with the less refined sight picture

You are just training yourself to shoot faster with less visual imput instead of training to see more. A lot of shots need no visual input at all, not the best way to shoot them. Based on your video, it seems like you take a lot of extra shots with the less refined sight picture

Well, maybe, although it is not at all clear whether I am seeing more or just training myself to make do with less input. Interesting distinction and there may be something valuable in there, which can be exploited in another type of training. But I am still calling my shots which is why the additional makeup shots. As I said, I makeup a shot if either 1) I call it bad, or 2) I fail to call it. Either way, I consider it a miss and immediately make it up. If I slow down, I will have all A hits and never not see a shot completely = but then that is not GM type shooting.

Not sure about all the visual stuff, as it is complex and not necessarily knowable. But clearly, I am seeing FASTER and that is my point and it is translating into 15% faster match performances so far. It is important to bear in mind I am not trying to refine my A hits towards the center of the A zone, but instead I am intentionally spreading them out to the limit of the A zone as a trade off for spending less time doing the shooting. An A is an A, but the HF varies with time. So whether I am seeing more, or just seeing what I need to see faster, is a mystery and probably moot. The fact that I am calling 95% of all shots says I am seeing enough. And my accuracy confirms that too.

At any rate, this pushing my speed is still very new for me this go around, and is a work in progress. As I develop better visual skills the additional shots will go away, and my efficiency and HF will rise even higher. Might take the rest of this year to accomplish this, as far as I know, but I will most likely be reclassified as a GM by then (hopefully NOT!) and definitely will be competing at a high M class in big matches by the time I get much better at this. That is a huge improvement for me, already, in all of two weeks. So whatever I am doing, it is right for me. We will see how it works out for me Saturday, in a 65 shooter club match and then at Area 1 the next week.

You inspire me with your dedication and perseverance, Robco! Its always enlightening to read your posts

Thanks BoyGlock. Hope it helps some. I am just a student of the game!

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just installed them yesterday on a Glock 19. I don't have enough time on the trigger to tell you anything definitive yet. The only sights I can compare them to are the factory Glock sights I've had for the past several months.

I imagine an adjustment period is normal when transitioning from such a wide rear notch, by comparison, to a much narrower window on the Proctor sights.

There were times when I was really hunting to find any light between the front blade and the rear notch...but a lot of that could be my relative inexperience in general.