Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

percentage of front sight focus vs target sight focus

3djedi

Personally, I am fully capable of missing an 18x18" steel plate at only 23 feet, if I look at the target and not my sights.

My brain defaults to a target focus and messes me up all the time. I am trying to retrain it to default to the sights. It's a slow process, but has really helped my accuracy, and my times are decreasing.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I am fully capable of missing an 18x18" steel plate at only 23 feet, if I look at the target and not my sights.

My brain defaults to a target focus and messes me up all the time. I am trying to retrain it to default to the sights. It's a slow process, but has really helped my accuracy, and my times are decreasing.

I have had the same experience on poppers. Find myself with a target focus on a popper array at 15 yards and have a miss or two. Then on next array or stage, force a sight focus and no misses. Obviously not only is this all dependent and variable with the target difficulty, but also the shooter's skill level.

At 7 or 8 yards, I know I could always get a "hit" on a target as large as 18 X 18 using a "target focus" (remember, that does not mean I do not see my front sight), but we never have such targets in USPSA matches. I shoot plates like that in steel matches often in Mesa at Rio though. In USPSA matches, an open, IPSC paper target is 5-3/4 inches X 11 inches. Did you get that? That is the A zone. Our target is NOT the whole cardboard. It is the A zone on an open target.

So, with an open IPSC target at 7 to 8 yards, I can get 2 A hits 100% of the time with a target focus - less than 1/3 the size target of your plate. And it should be said here, at match speed, not group shooting no-time pressure speed. Even from a draw. I am a low-M class limited shooter and think this performance level is representative of my class. If I pushed the speed I might have an A and a close C (less than an inch out of A). And by pushing it, I mean a .90 draw with .18 split.

So I am just throwing it out there for you to consider - that this may simply be a training/skill level issue and not a focus or aiming method issue in your case. Getting hung up on a front sight optical focus as a holy-grail will be very limiting in your progress and performance level. You might be better served training yourself to see more while shooting - something I have had to work hard and long at, and still working at it. That seems to be the right path to faster and more accurate shooting universally - where you would, on your stated 18 X 18 plate at 7 or 8 yards, not focus optically on EITHER the front sight or the target, but SEE all of them! (Enos Type 1 and 2 focus). Read Enos' book part 3 about the different types of focus/aiming methods to get a broad perspective on this subject. Might save you some struggling, as it has me.

Edited by Robco

nice front sight ... unless you don't have an STI of course .... :) I have a .090" front sight for my Shadow and after a suggestion from Cha-lee I had my rear sight widened to .035". I noticed a significant difference in how fast I could transition using the new sights ...

Edited by Nimitz

Thanks robco, soldier systems is a great sight. They have a bunch of "gunfighter moments" from some of the greats such as, Frank Proctor, Larry Vickers, Mike Pannone, etc. Plus a bunch of cool gear!

Edited by crazygiant

I was just playing random youtube videos and ran into this gem. He also says around 80% of shots are target focused and that it's needed for high speed transitions and shot calling..... (I would think sight focus would make it easier to call shots)

Edited by 3djedi

I was just playing random youtube videos and ran into this gem. He also says around 80% of shots are target focused and that it's needed for high speed transitions and shot calling..... (I would think sight focus would make it easier to call shots)

Nice find. One of my many weaknesses is that I still shoot with one eye closed, or nearly closed on almost all shots. I am right eye dominant and close my left eye for sight-aimed shots. On close easy targets I keep both eyes open because I never need to actively notice the front sight. On more difficult shots, when I need to see the sights better, this definitely slows me down on wide right-to-left transitions and being able to land efficiently and accurately on left-located targets (those to the left, beyond my peripheral vision of my right eye). My nose literally blocks the left peripheral view of my right eye. I have tried to work on changing this a few times, but have not stuck with it long enough to succeed. It is so uncomfortable to me I rationalize I will put up with the loss of capability not shooting with two eyes open costs me. Someday I believe I will have to fix this to move up much in my match performance level.

As for calling shots when a target optical focus is used, it is my opinion that it can still be done effectively, without having an OPTICAL focus on the front sight. I believe what actually happens in that case is that the eye is on the target, and then the focus is pulled back towards the front sight and somewhere before the focus comes all the way back to the front sight, enough is seen to release the shot. And that less-th-sharp front sight image is enough to call the shot. We still always SEE the front sight , if our eyes are open, just not necessarily in sharp optical focus. In the video, Doug says as much. He also makes it clear that it is a slower way to acquire targets, using one eye closed, therefore a competitive disadvantage generally speaking.

Take a look at this very interesting post made on another topic today, which exposed me to a whole new concept and area of potential advantage. Visual Development. Amazing. Here is that post by link by rowdyb: lhttp://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=210804#entry2344969

Thanks

Edited by Robco

Nice find. One of my many weaknesses is that I still shoot with one eye closed, or nearly closed on almost all shots. I am right eye dominant and close my left eye for sight-aimed shots. On close easy targets I keep both eyes open because I never need to actively notice the front sight. On more difficult shots, when I need to see the sights better, this definitely slows me down on wide right-to-left transitions and being able to land efficiently and accurately on left-located targets (those to the left, beyond my peripheral vision of my right eye). My nose literally blocks the left peripheral view of my right eye. I have tried to work on changing this a few times, but have not stuck with it long enough to succeed. It is so uncomfortable to me I rationalize I will put up with the loss of capability not shooting with two eyes open costs me. Someday I believe I will have to fix this to move up much in my match performance level.

As for calling shots when a target optical focus is used, it is my opinion that it can still be done effectively, without having an OPTICAL focus on the front sight. I believe what actually happens in that case is that the eye is on the target, and then the focus is pulled back towards the front sight and somewhere before the focus comes all the way back to the front sight, enough is seen to release the shot. And that less-th-sharp front sight image is enough to call the shot. We still always SEE the front sight , if our eyes are open, just not necessarily in sharp optical focus. In the video, Doug says as much. He also makes it clear that it is a slower way to acquire targets, using one eye closed, therefore a competitive disadvantage generally speaking.

Take a look at this very interesting post made on another topic today, which exposed me to a whole new concept and area of potential advantage. Visual Development. Amazing. Here is that post by link by rowdyb: lhttp://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=210804#entry2344969

Thanks

3djedi - after sleeping on this since I posted the above, I had some more to offer this morning.

I am almost to the point now of not even using these terms anymore, "Target Focus" or Sight Focus " because they are so misleading. Most people automatically assume that target focus means you do not see the front sight at all. Nothing could be further from the truth. I now KNOW that I see my sights on EVERY shot I fire (from my experiment shooting live fire a couple days ago with my sights both taped up). Further, people are ALWAYS speaking of the OPTICAL focus, which is valid, but ignores the often much more important MENTAL focus aspect. E.g., when I shoot a 15 yard open paper target, I will have a target OPTICAL focus but I will be MENTALLY focusing very intently on the more fuzzy image of my front sight, not on the target which is sharply focused.

Where, in contrast, on a 15 yard 8 inch plate or mini popper, I will have the reverse. I then have my optical focus on the front sight, and my mental focus on the target. It is as if I perform a tradeoff in either method, or a hybrid of them, where my Optical focus object requires less resolution effort than the less focused object, regardless which object is which. Think of it in the case where you are running to catch a football thrown to you in a game. You will certainly have an optical focus on the ball flying towards you, but while running you will also need to see the defensive players and perhaps the sideline, in your peripheral so you will avoid them successfully. You probably do NOT take your eyes off of the ball until it is in your hands, but you nevertheless SEE the players/sideline out of focus in your peripheral vision simultaneously. Your mental focus is on avoiding the obstacles in your path while running, while your optical focus is permitting your subconscious to execute on catching the flying ball. A quarterback, taking the ball from the center guard, does not need to see the center or the ball other than peripherally when he has his hands touching the center's butt in preparation for the hike, but he is optically focusing on many other players in the field, especially his intended receiver after he has the ball, while peripherally seeing all the players rushing him and guarding for him to avoid being sacked.

Along this same discussion line, not having an optical focus on the front sight does not preclude one from using the front sight peripherally to call the shot, as always. In other words, on the easier shots one would be using a "target" optical focus to engage, seeing a more fuzzy image of the front sight lift is equally effective and adequate to call the shot, just as it was for aiming same shot. To say otherwise in internally inconsistent. Try this by taping over the front and rear sights and shooting live fire to prove it to yourself. I did.

Edited by Robco

Why are you keeping your left eye close during transitions?

Nice find. One of my many weaknesses is that I still shoot with one eye closed, or nearly closed on almost all shots. I am right eye dominant and close my left eye for sight-aimed shots.

Hey Rob, have you ever tried the 1/2" square of scotch tape on your non-dominant side to block out the sights but leave peripheral vision open? I don't have a strongly dominant eye, so shooting with both eyes open was taking me longer to sort out the visual clutter, and sometimes I found the wrong eye taking over unexpectedly. scotch tape fixed that. There are a few fairly accomplished shooters GM's who do that. Enos, Matt Hopkins, and many others.

Why are you keeping your left eye close during transitions?

Actually I am not, usually, unless they are very close (narrow) transitions on difficult targets, like a line of poppers at 15 yards all a few feet apart. Good point and catch supermoto. I am going to fix this whole thing soon! For real this time, no matter how uncomfortable it is for me to learn to shoot with both eyes open.

Thanks

Nice find. One of my many weaknesses is that I still shoot with one eye closed, or nearly closed on almost all shots. I am right eye dominant and close my left eye for sight-aimed shots.

Hey Rob, have you ever tried the 1/2" square of scotch tape on your non-dominant side to block out the sights but leave peripheral vision open? I don't have a strongly dominant eye, so shooting with both eyes open was taking me longer to sort out the visual clutter, and sometimes I found the wrong eye taking over unexpectedly. scotch tape fixed that. There are a few fairly accomplished shooters GM's who do that. Enos, Matt Hopkins, and many others.

Yes Motosapiens. Good advice. I have dicked around with it, but am always busy shooting matches all year round so kind of gave up and pussied out because it was so different and uncomfortable. But even two days ago I was doing it again, trying to see how tiny a piece of tape I could get awaywith to mitigate the negatives i was experiencing. Found out something in the process. I was NOT 100% consistent in my head to gun relationship every time I mounted the gun to see if the tape was in the right place. The tape effectively was "moving around" because my head/gun relationship was inconsistent! MAN! More for me to work on. Amazing how trying one thing reveals issues and weaknesses in other areas we were not aware of!

Thanks!

If you don't watch the front sight, how do you know what its doing and consequently, where the bullet went?

When I make a conscious effort to focus on the front sight (sad I still have to tell myself to do it here and there) I notice a vast improvement in my scores vs when I target focus. Yes, at point blank targets or very close, I usually don't need much to hit the A zone.

"Acceptable sight picture" is the key phrase. At 3 yards, wide open target some part of my gun covering brown is usually acceptable. At further distances, I need to see the front sight blade clearly.

You know, I think there are things occurring which we do not comprehend, when we focus on the front sight. In other words, YES, when a shooter focuses on the front sight, their scoring performance is usually better too. But that does not necessarily mean that it was the front sight focus that is the reason/causation. I find with my own performance, including today at a USPSA match at Rio Salado, that most of my misses and additional shots are a result of having a target focus when I should NOT. I.e., on poppers at 15 yards, or fast swingers at 12 yards. I knew it as soon as I blew it on a stage due to many misses on poppers. BUT I would not jump to the conclusion that just because a target type focus was inappropriate, that a front sight focus should have been used.

I would rather say, that when we use ANY type of aiming, we do better! And a front sight focus is certainly a method of aiming, but only one of many. So, using SOME type of focus is almost always better than NONE!

Front sight focus is always going to provide the most accurate and precise method of aiming and also the most accuracy, assuming the release is well executed. BUT, this method of aiming is much slower than others, and should only be used when it is necessary (e.g., for more difficult or risky shots).

Edited by Robco

• 1 month later...

exactly right. target focus vs sight focus will be different for every shooter based on their current skill level and on the types of stages you usually see. if the typical stage for you involved 18+ yd targets and lots of partials you'd never be using target focus 80% of the time. switch that to a lot of the stages I see posted here where every target is 15 yds and in and then sure, an accomplished A or better shooter is probably using a target focus most of the time.

it's like saying that any target inside of 12 yds should usually be shot on the move ... just too many variables to make those kind of generalities.

the only thing that matters is for you to know what targets you can use a target focus on vice a hard front sight focus since in general, target focus is faster ...

Edited by Nimitz

exactly right. target focus vs sight focus will be different for every shooter based on their current skill level and on the types of stages you usually see. if the typical stage for you involved 18+ yd targets and lots of partials you'd never be using target focus 80% of the time. switch that to a lot of the stages I see posted here where every target is 15 yds and in and then sure, an accomplished A or better shooter is probably using a target focus most of the time.

it's like saying that any target inside of 12 yds should usually be shot on the move ... just too many variables to make those kind of generalities.

the only thing that matters is for you to know what targets you can use a target focus on vice a hard front sight focus since in general, target focus is faster ...

I am with Nimitz here. It depends. But, remember, the distinction is really a false one, because if properly performed, aiming shots is "neither" and "both." I know that sounds odd or internally inconsistent. I asked Ben Stoeger about his claims of using "target focus" out to 20 yards and beyond, and he simply answered, "just because I am focused on the target does not mean I do not see the front sight." Profound. That was the key to my understanding and resolution of this inquiry.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder how OPEN Shooters deal with far targets..... do they do a Dot focus then ???

Mj

you certainly have a higher awareness of the dot on longer shots. and typically a slower shot as i'm being more careful in the trigger press.

with the open gun I struggled for a long time to shoot both eyes open too. took me ages and for a while I had not noticed I was shooting 2 eyes. I only noticed when I picked up an iron sight gun and suddenly realised I was shooting it 2 eyes open!

Robco, you'll get it eventually. it took me ages too.

with the open gun it's all about fast transitions. everyone can run 20 splits or less with an open gun. but you really need to aggressively drive the thing from target to target. to do that you need both eyes open and you are looking to the target, then the dot comes into view over the target, as it reaches the right point you pull the trigger, dot does a little wiggle, goes up, comes down, you fire again and as soon as that shot goes off (while dot is still doing his little wiggle) you're eyes are moving to the next target.

I also would avoid say dot or target focus. I'd say you are looking at the target, but have an awareness of the dot. the harder the shot the greater the awareness of the dot. nowhere more so than open does it require you to 'see fast' or you get left for dead. i'm still learning..... :)

i have none... not even a little... experience with an open gun, very tempted to get into one though. It just looks like so much fun!!!! I do however have extensive experience with a short barreled rifle with an optic (aimpoint or EOTech)... my observations is i try to adjust the brightness to the point i can barely even see the dot so it doesnt starburst out the target, then i run it fast. I am barely every focused on the sight (or dot) i see it i guess, but my focus is on the target. I can call these shots and instantly feel and see if a shot is a tiny bit off where i want it to be

It is a bit different with my pistol. Again i have very very limited experience with my USPSA pistol, but extensive experience with my duty pistol in a shooting while moving type environment. I get a flash sight picture with the pistol, my main focus is on the target, i have an awareness of the sights and rely on the muscle memory and the fuzzy sight picture i may get to put the shots centered. I still know/feel when a shot is not in the 5 ring/A Zone. Honestly the times when i throw shots are my slow aim fire static shooting, my shots while moving or in between sprints are the ones i am calling and dead center, it seems that when i take my brain out of the picture i can do ok

Edited by evilbeef54

I am with Nimitz here. It depends. But, remember, the distinction is really a false one, because if properly performed, aiming shots is "neither" and "both." I know that sounds odd or internally inconsistent. I asked Ben Stoeger about his claims of using "target focus" out to 20 yards and beyond, and he simply answered, "just because I am focused on the target does not mean I do not see the front sight." Profound. That was the key to my understanding and resolution of this inquiry.

Robco .... you're right, just because you are using a target focus does not mean you are not looking at and seeing the front sight, you just don't have that singular, razor sharp front sight with everything else being secondary like you would for a 25 yd partial. Seeklander and Anderson have told me the same thing as Ben did but I've always been too lazy to write out the whole detailed explaination since I knew that was what I was doing - that, and I'd assumed most people understood that except for very close targets where indexing the gun on brown is enough, you are always using your sights to some degree.

With a dot gun its very different since the dot does not go in and out of focus depending on where I'm looking like with iron sight focusing. Whether I'm just staring intently at the dot or looking through the dot at the target it always looks the same to me .... this enables me to focus more on the target which yields faster transitions ....

Edited by Nimitz

I wonder how OPEN Shooters deal with far targets..... do they do a Dot focus then ???

Mj

you certainly have a higher awareness of the dot on longer shots. and typically a slower shot as i'm being more careful in the trigger press.

with the open gun I struggled for a long time to shoot both eyes open too. took me ages and for a while I had not noticed I was shooting 2 eyes. I only noticed when I picked up an iron sight gun and suddenly realised I was shooting it 2 eyes open!

Robco, you'll get it eventually. it took me ages too.

with the open gun it's all about fast transitions. everyone can run 20 splits or less with an open gun. but you really need to aggressively drive the thing from target to target. to do that you need both eyes open and you are looking to the target, then the dot comes into view over the target, as it reaches the right point you pull the trigger, dot does a little wiggle, goes up, comes down, you fire again and as soon as that shot goes off (while dot is still doing his little wiggle) you're eyes are moving to the next target.

I also would avoid say dot or target focus. I'd say you are looking at the target, but have an awareness of the dot. the harder the shot the greater the awareness of the dot. nowhere more so than open does it require you to 'see fast' or you get left for dead. i'm still learning..... :)

BeerBaron - Interesting advice here. I just bought an open gun and got it this Saturday. Only had some 5 year old 38 super loads I had made for a SS pistol, so only shot a dozen to function test and chrono. Worked great at very light loads and had one 165 pf round to test it with too. So I have NO experience with the open guns. Travis Tomasie insisted that I get an open gun to help break me through to a new level in my Limited shooting. Finally found a great deal on an 8 year old gun that had only 100 rounds through it! So I am anxious to train with it soon!

I think it is physically impossible to actually focus on the dot. Have read that somewhere.

I believe the main point Travis is making for me to train with an Open gun (Max Michel says the same thing by the way), is that it will eliminate the sight picture bottleneck of time with the iron sights, allowing and then forcing the open shooter to seek the next target sooner and quicker. Transition speed-up! I can mentally understand this, yet have not experienced it myself since I just got my open gun.

The promise is that once I speed up with the open gun, it will transfer the transition speed over to my limited shooting.

I will keep you posted here in a few weeks with this experiment!

this is the exact reason I switched to open in Steel Challenge .... I was told it would help me shoot irons faster. It has made a noticable difference in how fast I can see with my Production gun ... however, watch out ... shooting a dot gun can be addictive ... :)

Robco .... you're right, just because you are using a target focus does not mean you are not looking at and seeing the front sight, you just don't have that singular, razor sharp front sight with everything else being secondary like you would for a 25 yd partial. Seeklander and Anderson have told me the same thing as Ben did but I've always been too lazy to write out the whole detailed explaination since I knew that was what I was doing - that, and I'd assumed most people understood that except for very close targets where indexing the gun on brown is enough, you are always using your sights to some degree.

With a dot gun its very different since the dot does not go in and out of focus depending on where I'm looking like with iron sight focusing. Whether I'm just staring intently at the dot or looking through the dot at the target it always looks the same to me .... this enables me to focus more on the target which yields faster transitions ....

Ken, how is the hand/wrist healing up?

I tested this one day by taping over my rear sight while shooting my limited gun. I SUCKED even on 3 yard open target arrays with fast (.15 splits and .18 transitions) when I could not see my rear sight due to the tape (and therefore not front sight either). Shot the same arrays both ways, repeatedly, with and without the tape on the sights and proved conclusively that I ALWAYS need to and actually DO (apparently) "see" my rear and front sights on every shot.

Without being able to "see" my sights I was slower and less accurate, always, even on 3 yard targets. Interesting, huh.

this is the exact reason I switched to open in Steel Challenge .... I was told it would help me shoot irons faster. It has made a noticable difference in how fast I can see with my Production gun ... however, watch out ... shooting a dot gun can be addictive ... :)

Ha! I fear that. I am not even buying any big sticks so I cannot compete with it! But see many top shooters switch between open and iron sights continuously, so am hoping it will not become TOO comfortable shooting open at my advanced age of 56! Rocking chair will have to wait a few more years!

• 1 month later...

Been a long while on the sideline of this forum for me, as winter came to an end and spring chores on the ranch and shooting ramped up. But wanted to share a new "discovery" for me in the last two weeks, regarding my match performance speed increase. Literally, with three practice sessions in a week's time, I have taken 15% of of my performance time. After struggling for years and stuck in the 73% big match finish range, and not being able to significantly improve, I discovered my "secret" that was holding me back. Although my movement and other mechanics skills had greatly improved in the last year, my TIMES had not.

The key I was missing = accepting a less refined sight picture when the targets permitted.

It really is that simple. Since I am already fast on movement, splits and draws etc, I always KNEW that transitions was my weakness, where most of my time was being lost to the top shooters. Everyone has seen extremely fast shooters who end up usually not scoring well, due to sloppy hits. YET we noticed their speed, both in splits, body movements and transitions. What most of these undisciplined shooters do not know, is that they are on the right track, BUT have not built the fundamental foundation needed to "pull it off." Their accuracy and VISION skills, are not adequately high enough to survive pushing the speed to the ragged edge. Hero or Zero is the result.

Well, my recent discovery was that I did not have enough confidence in my own shooting to "let go" and let it rip. I found, that I DO have adequate accuracy and vision skills now to run the gun MUCH FASTER than I had previously thought, and not make any big mistakes in the process, consistently! (Mikes, N/Ss or D's).

I simply went to the range with one intention only = SHOOT as FAST as I could SEE. I did, and over three sessions in a week, of 250 rounds per session, I PROVED to myself that I could indeed speed up significantly and still shoot 90+% of the possible points. Slowing down, had almost NO effect, so I was sold.

This weekend, I shot our own Cody Club match, competing with a very fast young shooter who only the week before, shot the match 9.72 seconds faster than me (I took 13.26% More time than he did). At Cody, I was half a second faster than he was. I won both matches, but the time is what is crucial and significant. I shot 94% of the possible points in BOTH matches, so not like I got sloppy fast in Cody. And the other shooter had the same general match performance in both matches.

So I attribute all of this to simply forcing and then learning to accept a less defined sight picture, for the sake of speeding up. This all relates to the topic here, because there really cannot be any distinctions between sight or target focus, period, when you "turn up your vision" as Enos so correctly stated! I get it! Reducing the time between shots fired on different targets (transitions) can be accomplished by INITIALLY by more efficient movement skills, but only up to a point. Then more speed can only come by giving up something - more sight picture than necessary. And learning how to do this is probably as easy as simply forcing yourself to run the gun uncomfortably hard, and do it enough to learn how to control it without slowing down.