Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do I see faster?

bird

The key to good shooting for me is to see the sights lift and settle back on the target, calling the shot.

When I do this I have a great hit ratio.

The problem is that I can only shoot as fast as I can see.

I know this is probably a dumb question but are there any drills, etc that will help me see faster?

I see the sights lift, then come back onto target, I don't move my eyes with the sights I just look at the spot that they were at, is this wrong?

Thanks for any help

Bird, I do the same, I watch the sight lift and return, I don't follow it through its whole arch.

I find that the seeing comes quicker if I relax and pay attention.

The book is the place to read all this, but if I fire hopers, its generally because my mind was elsewherewhen the shot broke, or I was too tense and trying too hard.

Hope this helps,

P.D.

Thanks for the help guys,

Watching that front sight, calling the shots is what works for me.

It is when I forget what the front sight did that I have problems.

I just want to see faster, so I can shoot faster....lol

Hey brother bird!  I'm probably coming from a different angle, but here's a thought.  You're asking how to go faster right?  For a lot of folks, attempting to see too much is where the time is lost.  Along with doing the eye excercises, consider where they apply.  A good way to see where they apply for you is to set up three IPSC targets.  One at three yards, one at ten and one at 16-20 yards.   What you need to see to shoot all A's is quite different at each distance.   I totally agree that we should always see the sight lift, call every shot, and follow through.  But it is also true that the time it takes to repeat this cycle is much shorter on an open five yard target than it is with a close no-shooter at 15.   What I'm trying to say is that you may save a lot of time by learning when you really need to have a "sharp focus" and when you can get away with using "awareness of the sights" to call the shots.  I hope this makes sense, if not, well I had fun babbling about it!

-Sam

Sam,

Yes, that's right on track. That is the root of the now famous, (although I'm not sure if he knows it's famous) Burner quote, when asked if he saw his sights on everyshot of a burning Roundabout run at the Steel Challenge - " I was what I needed to see." The tricky part is that no one can tell you what this is, you have to learn it and then execute it by yourself.

be

I know what you guys are saying, what I need to see to make a good shot at 7 yards is different than what I need to see at 20 yards...

It's all in Brians book.

I guess I was looking for a "magic potion" to give me an answer to something I already knew..

Still, I am looking for that one small something that will make a light-bulb go off in my head and make me rise to the next level, within this forum and all the great people here I will achieve it.

Thanks guys (and grrl's)

bird, that "one small thing" is.....practice;)   Seriously though, learn your ranges.  Brian's different sight focuses are the key.   There are no short cuts that yield any lasting results.  Ron Avery's video series teaches "sight alignment by feel", bringing the gun on target with the sights already aligned.  This is a major time saver and anyone can learn it.  Brian will have these videos available very soon.  They are excellent!

Good shooting--Sam

• 3 weeks later...

I have two things that I have to constantly remind myself of and it may be helpful to you. The first is follow through. I'm forever shooting the first shot and it's an "A". But if I don't make a conscious effort to call the second shot it's usually a "C" (or worse). The other thing is when moving between shots, concentrate on looking ahead. What's important here is to not just see the next target but I have to really focus in on it. Don't just see the brown target, you have to see the outline of the A zone. Sure in the high speed environment of a match you may or may not actually see the perforations. But the idea is to train yourself to be focusing on specific things. So for me it's not really a matter of seeing faster. It's knowing what I need to focus on which enables me to shoot faster and more accurately.

• 1 month later...

I would maintain it depends how accurate the shot has to be:  If you need to get a hit inside an 6" square at 7 yards, then I would recommend both eyes open sighted on target.  Put illuminator dots (orange front/yellow back) on the sights and just watch for the front dot to come back up between the back dots (blurred sights).  The advantage of both eyes open (target sighted) is you actually see two pictures and the left eye image will tell you where the gun is during recoil with respect to the target.  as it comes back down, concentrate on the right eye image and sight and fire.  After a while you can see both images and not get confused.

"It's knowing what I need to focus on which enables me to shoot faster and more accurately."

I'm with you on that one, Dan.

On the both eyes open and seeing everything thing, It's been my experience over the years that some can do this easily, and some can't do it at all. I've experienced it, shooting statically, or dry-firing, but typically, for me, it's a physical impossibility. I've met others, like Jerry Miculek, who can see this way easily and on demand. So you just have to experiment and see what works for you.

be