Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First AR15

Dr.J

Thanks to everyone for pointing out the advantages of the 5.56/.223 vs 9mm AR platform. I'm ready to buy and am confused overwhelmed might be a better term regarding which make AR to purchase. The posters on the AR15 forum seem to favor Colts. Would the Colt 6721 make a good first AR? I'd be using it to compete in carbine matches, informal target practice, and HD. I appreciate your help pointing me in the right direction. I'd prefer to purchase an entire rifle as opposed to building one. Thanks, Dr.J

My first was a Smith and Wesson mp15. I have tortured that rifle and it has held up. I paid about 650 for it. I just finished building one which isn't hard..I'm not gunsmith...and finished it with all the race goodies for under 1200$

I have owned many Colts. They are as good as any Mil-spec gun, maybe better than some others. I have also owned or currently own Armalite, Bushmaster (pre Remington), Cav arms, JP, Lauer Custom, Rock River Arms, Sabre Defence and Spikes Tactical. I would look around, pick a flat top, free floated gun that has a handguard that I like, at least a mid-length gas system and if you are going to put a scope on it, does not have a fixed front sight base. I prefer 20" barrels with rifle gas, but I like to shoot iron sights. For a scoped gun, I like a light contour 18" barrel with rifle gas.

There are so many manufacturers and assemblers now, it would be easy to get overwhelmed. If there is a local club, go to it and talk to some shooters, most would be happy to let you shoot their rifles to see what you might be more comfortable with before you buy.

Hurley