Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Dillon small primer assemly

As many of you have read and commented as many of the Super 1050 guys have had hell with feeding small primers in loading 9mm and 40 cal with a 1050.

Dillon now offers a new small primer system for the 1050. It is the same basic one they have had with one major change. The rubber vacuum hose is gone. It has now been replaced with a brass bearing and has a bolt attaching that to the primer carrier bar. I just got mine and installed it. Planning to check it out over the weekend and see what improvement there may be. That is sure an area many many have trouble with.

The cost is $80.00

:cheers:

Edited by Ken Bird

right after I got my new 1050 about 8 years ago I had a hell of a time with the primer system. With the advice of a friend that runs 3 1050s, I removed the rubber tubing from the primer slide, adjusted the system, and have had no problems with it since...small or large primers...

I have stated it here several times, received a bit of lip for it, but pretty much been ignored. That rubber tube was not helping anyone...

just sayin' - removing the rubber tube is cheaper than a new primer slide...

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

I just ordered a Super 1050 a week ago in 45acp and a ordered a 9mm caliber conversion kit with small primer conversion kit. It is supposed to be delivered today or tomorrow, I will be curious to see if it includes this new modified small primer kit.

Ken,

I have a lathe and some brass, and I could make a brass roller. Can you measure the diameter of the brass sleeve and post this information? I would rather not try to measure the rubber tube.

Thanks

(I thought that the rubber tube on such a nicely thought out and expensive machine must have be designed that way to perhaps allow for some slight misalignment with the shell case and the primer punch, thereby making the alignment more forgiving. But I guess not.)

Sorry I do not know how to link it, but check out a thread I started a week or so ago titled 1050 Puzzle. In one of the later posts I included the brass roller dimension and a picture.

Thanks for the link. I have a six foot rod of .250" brass. Looks like a simple retro fit with the right shoulder bolt. Or I could just slip a brass sleeve over the roll pin.

I suspect Dillon will offer the brass and bolt for those who want to adapt the roll pin in the slide to the new brass roller. I will hold off for a while.

With respect to my earlier post concerning the primer punch alignment. I just took another look at the primer slide. The rubber tube has nothing to do with the primer punch alignment, but has to do with the primer “feed” tube, where the primer drops into the slide. So when the rubber is damaged, the primers won’t drop into the slide properly.

Edited by RonofVa

Thanks Steve for your input.

Here are A couple of photo's

One is the new Primer Slide, and the other the Fix Dillon sent me this week for the cases stacking.

I have not used either yet, but will put on my machine today and report back.

Ken

:cheers:

post-37223-0-31473800-1423919475_thumb.j

post-37223-0-23317400-1423919498_thumb.j