Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Exactly when does a muzzle "flip"...

GMyers

BH - If you would post your email I'll send along the slow motion videos of both limited and open guns.  Then we can "cipher" more about what might be best.  The videos are professionally done with high speed film from some web site on the net.  I still wonder if the recoil graphs you are talking about worked with stock guns and spring combinations, or if they were progressively cutting weight out of the slide to look for changes.  Most of us are shooting 1911'a and the initial debate was about the benefit of lightening slides.  Watching the videos, and using the recoil energy graphs you have seen we might finally get a definitive scientific answer to all this!!

The recoil graphs were published in an old gun magazine, I'm not sure which one.  As far as  muzzle lift goes and optimizing springs, I would think lightening the slide would make the lift worse(?)  The recoil energy is actually constant (determined by bullet weight and powder charge).  How the energy is delivered back to the hand is somewhat dependent on the recoil spring.