Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

choke tubes

azfred

• 3 weeks later...

I used to have a cylinder bore. I had to shoot pretty stout loads with the largest shot allowed to knock down steel at any distance. Usually 1 1/4 oz. it was nice to see two plates go down at once on a plate rack. I had it threaded and only have a modified which has worked fine.

My o/u clay gun has two of each. : )

Just FYI, chokes are not universal. Mod does not produce the same size pattern in every platform. Changing the brand or type of shell can also be equivalent to one choke size difference.

Never change chokes in subtle little steps in 3-gun. The change from light mod is basically insignificant either to Modified or Improved cylinder. Go in big steps! an IC and a full would be just ducky....I have always just run a Light Modified and not worried about changing. If a target is so hard to knock over with an IC I would never just swap to a mod.

I use Light Full (0.030"), Light Mod (0.015"), and Skeet (0.005") in my M2. That means LM about 80% of the time, LF about 15% of the time (hard or far steel), and SK rarely (all close clays and maybe big, easy steel). My slugs are zeroed at 50yds with LM but are almost indistinguishable with the other chokes at that distance.

I don't carry any heavy loads with me ever, I've never had any trouble with a light mod and a 31/4 DRAM 11/8th ounce Federal Gold Medal match ammo. Never saw the use in a prairie storm outside of laughing at the poor guys who torch one or two off.

Light Mod and Full are the only two I carried in the bag.

Kurt is probably still laughing at me for trying to make the spinner rotate in one shot with #4 turkey load & F choke (shot it too high all 3 times, just about knock the d@mn thing off its stand :roflol: has to do with POI shift due to payload differences or something only Mr Weak Hand would know.)

Edited by PacMan