Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Norinco AK 84s .223cal

scottzerger

I have not seen many post for the Ak style rifles to used

in any type of competition. I know that there are much

better choices but i am limited to this an my m1a which is

heavier and cost more to shoot. Is this rifle practical for

3gun shoots and if so what is the best way to set it up?

I live in ca. and i can't move ever.

Thanks

Scottzerger:

As far as I know there is not much needed to set one up for 3 gun. My brother ( no really) used a Romac in 7.62x39 to win the Rocky Mountain 3 gun series for 2002 in limited ( yea he shoots the "other 2" pretty well also). Clean up the trigger a bit and shoot it A LOT!!! The mag changes are a bit slow but with propper planning when shooting a stage not a big deal! If you are ever at a big match that I'm at, look Me up and I will show you a really fast way to change mags on an AK/M1A. It,s kind of hard to explain in print, and since I also use an M1A quite a bit ( 2nd in the R.M.3G. series for limited) I don't like to spread it around to much. Have fun with it, and remember out to about 200 yds it is as good as anything else out there!               KURT

Kurtm

Hey, thanks . I'll tell you what i was thinking.

1.  New plastic furniture in green or black from

K-var corp. This will add another 1 1/2 " to

the length of pull. The current stock is to

short.

2.  A scope mount that clamps on barrel made

by ultimak. Like a scout mount forward of

the receiver.

3.  Some sort of red dot scope

I hope this all works

Please feel free to add or subtract any of the above

as i  have not bought this stuff Yet.

Love that m1a , but that ammo price ( for the good stuff)

is to high and the AK really likes that Wolf .223 ammo.

I live in Ca and most of the matches we will attend are at club level. If your in SoCal look us up.

Thanks

club leve

Scottzerger:

Sounds cool to me! You might try to find out if any one makes a mount for the Doctor or J.P. enterprizes/Optima that would replace the rear sight assembly. I have always thought that a set up like that would be the best for an AK. Also Check out Cavalry arms  for their cool dot scope and mount, it was made for the AK and is really great. Talk to Sean Neiland, he is the owner and really KNOWS AKs.                   KURT

Yeah I know that brother of Kurt, he practically brought me into this fun sport.  He can make any gun shoots well, even the AK series.  For fast mag change, I added the tactical (oops, bad word) mag release from Red Star Arms, and it does work well.  Kurt is right about a small red dot replacing the rear sight, it would be sweet if someone come up with one, the ultimak scope mount will get hot from the gas tube and will transfer that heat into the red dot scope and could possibly fry the electronics.  My AK got so hot after a hoser-stage (40 rds. plus my triple taps :)) in the mountain (thin air), it took a long while to cool off.

Also, I replaced my standard rear sight with a peep unit from Powers Custom, improved the sight pic quite a bit.