Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major in Tanfoglio Gold factory barrel?

matts2k

I've read a good bit saying that it's very hard to make major with 9mm in the TF Gold V12 barrel due to the large number of holes in the barrel. Has anyone tried running 9mm major ammo through the "factory" barrel? It only has the hole in the top of the compensator. Is that crazy?

Thanks!

Edited by matts2k

It's not that crazy, I had a comp come off in the middle of a stage and finished with no comp, it was stout, but not the end of the world. I would expect to to beat up the gun a lot over an extended period though.

Here's what I did with a spare Gold Team barrel and a Stock II slide:

1027141321a_zpsb7a17a2d.jpg

Edited by kneelingatlas

I had a gunsmith in CO do the work for me.

In general compensators dissipate a lot of the energy before the slide unlocks from the lugs and cycles, the more efficient the compensator, the less stress on the gun. 9 major with no compensator ports is hard on the gun, one port is less, two ports is less still...

The other issue is the more gas you're losing out of holes in the barrel the more powder you need to make major, so not all "9 major" is created equal.

is there a way (other than intuition/experience/testing) to come up with a good number of ports/holes for a given load?

The problem is that the load required to make major changes as you drill holes in the barrel, so there is no "given load".

The two port comp used on the V12 Gold Team leaves much to be desired which is why there are 12 barrel ports to compensate (pun intended). Two holes in the barrel at 12 o'clock seems to be a popular choice with many builders, just like this 2011 I recently picked up:

IMG_20141219_231722_zps97pibvc4.jpg

A good comp is crucial, and a few holes in the barrel give it a little extra down force. The trade-off on a long comp is the weight, a long heavy steel comp makes the gun steer like a battleship, but this one by Binary Engineering is Ti and really light.

Edited by kneelingatlas

I'm also looking at how to get to major (reasonably) with the 9mm GT. From what I've read also going major with the ported barrel is not attractive. I called EAA to see if they have .38 super barrels but they don't. It looks like reaming the barrel is problematic (from the reamer standpoint). Another thought is to drill out the comp holes on the factory barrel and maybe add a couple of popples on the barrel but not the entire line of them.

Interested in this discussion for sure.

My thought was to use the factory barrel outright - but kneelingatlas has me thinking I should send the barrel & comp away to be drilled. I like the design of his stock 2 mod above - v ports in the comp and popple holes in the barrel....

My thought was to use the factory barrel outright - but kneelingatlas has me thinking I should send the barrel & comp away to be drilled. I like the design of his stock 2 mod above - v ports in the comp and popple holes in the barrel....

If you have the second barrel with no holes, I would try to find someone willing to make you a custom comp for it with a more modern design and skip the holes at first, you can always drill the holes later if you want, but a good comp will never hurt.

atlas! you never mentioned you have been playing with the other team and got a 2011. That looks AWESOME! Love the pocket cuts on the slide, comp looks awesome, and I do like me at least a couple ports in the barrel. did it start as an akai? cheely? all done at binary? love it.

how does it shoot?

I had always been curious about 2011s as well as 38 super, so when I had an opportunity I picked up two 2011s in 38, then I got this one in 9mm built by Donny Glock with Jared's comp. The best part about it is it's light weight, this is how it sits today:

IMG_20150106_072221_zpsvqwvanlc.jpg

It shoots really well although I prefer the ergonomics of the CZs and Tanfoglios, the mags are also a real pain. On the bright side it has given me some great ideas...

Stay tuned ;)

dude I love it. I love his slide work. Very reminiscent of the cuts shay akai was famous for only even more modern looking if anything. The comp looks really good and being titanium (as they all should be) will prevent the lead tipped arrow effect.

I hear you on the ergo's. I shoot the odd mates limcat, infinity, STI etc from time to time and find getting a nice grip on them is no where near as comfortable in my hand as a CZ or tanfoglio. Even my 1911 which I have for nostalgia as much as anything else is not as comfortable.

That is like the perfect 2011 open gun for me. Great comp and barrel ports combo. neat looking slide, Nice stipple job and undercut and decent magwell, sideways cheely mount and cheely racker. just perfect. :) You are starting to get way too many cool toys! Love the serial number too. So many neat touches on it.

The chambers in the comp are HUUUGE. I bet with a good load it'll shoot like shit of a shovel.

Hey Guys,

If you want to know more about the Gold Team Tanfoglio or are looking for one, I have mine for sale on guns America. 9mm large frame accessorized. Id put it on here for sale but of the 10yrs or so coming here I didn't sign up until a few years ago and rarely comment. So I don't have the 50 or so replies needed to post.

I believe my phone and email is under my profile if you have any questions.

Have a great day,

BW

Hey Guys,

If you want to know more about the Gold Team Tanfoglio or are looking for one, I have mine for sale on guns America. 9mm large frame accessorized. Id put it on here for sale but of the 10yrs or so coming here I didn't sign up until a few years ago and rarely comment. So I don't have the 50 or so replies needed to post.

I believe my phone and email is under my profile if you have any questions.

Have a great day,

BW

Is it the one listed for $2500?

I'm also looking at how to get to major (reasonably) with the 9mm GT. From what I've read also going major with the ported barrel is not attractive. I called EAA to see if they have .38 super barrels but they don't. It looks like reaming the barrel is problematic (from the reamer standpoint). Another thought is to drill out the comp holes on the factory barrel and maybe add a couple of popples on the barrel but not the entire line of them.

Numrich has a 4.5" 38 Super barrel and a compensated 9x21 barrel listed on their site.

Edited by USAFA82

Numrich has a 4.5" 38 Super barrel and a compensated 9x21 barrel listed on their site.

These are not the barrels you're looking for...

2882377.gif

No really, they're not :roflol:

Edited by kneelingatlas