Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Self-sealing (self-healing, polymer) plates/poppers - real experience

I know this has been discussed in theory years ago, but has anyone actually used the self-sealing plates or poppers with the center-fire handgun rounds?

From your experience, can you give me an estimate of the life expectancy in number of rounds received?

How badly the hollow-points affect the life expectancy?

We're a small, new, mostly indoor club, we're getting tired of paper only stages, but don't want to spend a little fortune on these targets if they end up living thru only a handful of matches.

Thanks!

I was in a Hand Gun II Class last weekend, we were taught how to clear a house.

During the live fire portion of the training they had a couple of the self-sealing poppers, hollow points put holes through them.

HPs definitely core sample them. We have seen bullets get stuck in them too. The plates aren't bad but I can't stand the poppers. They can be difficult to get to stay vertical and then need to be hit in the "head" and not the center circle to drive them over

Idea that I have used as a type of simulated paper plate rack for indoor matches.

Bolt an 8' uncut target sick horizontally to the vertical sticks in a target stand. Bolt the a pair of cut-off 2.5' target stick ends to the horizontal stick.

Staple white paper plates of decent stiffness to the sacrificial cut-off ends of the target sticks. Choose paper plates that white pasters stick to better. For example, Chinette plates are stiffer but take extra effort to make pasters stick to the rough surface. A coat of paint might help.

• 4 weeks later...

Check out " newbold targets " on YouTube , alot of videos on comparisons between diffrent calibers and targets they sell.

Yeah, that's the reason I posed here. I haven't found anyone running a match with them, which is quite a different experience than just using it for plinking.

I was in a Hand Gun II Class last weekend, we were taught how to clear a house.

During the live fire portion of the training they had a couple of the self-sealing poppers, hollow points put holes through them.

From that experience -- how many shooters/rounds when thru these before they became unusuable?

HPs definitely core sample them. We have seen bullets get stuck in them too. The plates aren't bad but I can't stand the poppers. They can be difficult to get to stay vertical and then need to be hit in the "head" and not the center circle to drive them over

Used in the actual matches? Any more details about the plates longevity then?

Idea that I have used as a type of simulated paper plate rack for indoor matches.

Bolt an 8' uncut target sick horizontally to the vertical sticks in a target stand. Bolt the a pair of cut-off 2.5' target stick ends to the horizontal stick.

Staple white paper plates of decent stiffness to the sacrificial cut-off ends of the target sticks. Choose paper plates that white pasters stick to better. For example, Chinette plates are stiffer but take extra effort to make pasters stick to the rough surface. A coat of paint might help.

Have you used it in the match? I'm concerned about plates not falling in this setup if hit at the outer edge. Or maybe I didn't quite grasp the concept to see how it all works.

We use a polymer called UHMW. Very dense, abrasion resistant.it holds up pretty good, but its not steel. A 1/2" thick piece had been known to capture some 45 hardball rounds, if the plate is allowed to react freely to being hit. This polymer is what they put on the bottom of air boats here in Florida. To buy new, look at McMasters-Carr...we get the scrap from the air boat company when they replace it. It's the best stuff we have found to simulate steel on an indoor range, and we've been trying different materials for almost 2 years now.

Yes, they have been used in competition at the Knob Creek National Subgun Match. Our first set were 4 x 6 self standing plates made by Just Shoot Me Targets and they help up great. This allowed us to have targets at close range for point shooting (from the hip firing). They held up great. We were able to use them for several matches. Now this match allow up to 200 competitive runs, all in full auto, and with an average of 200 rounds per run, meaning that over 40,000 rounds are fired in the two day event. Over time, some targets were pulled as the L shaped base was hit enough to start to weaken, but some duct tape helped hold them together in some cases. I still have a couple that could be used today left. We have also used some of the Israeli silhouette falling targets at near point blank range and they also held up well. The energy of the bullet passing through would be enough to push the targets down on the base pivot. We are planning, in the near future to try the moving ground targets. I give this type of target a thumbs up. There is a ton of Youtube and other videos of all the matches, but I couldn't tell you for sure which match date the were used on. We had them set low to the ground and set them on a 6x6 that we could rotate to maintain a consistent flat base for them to stand on. I am the match director. Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Paul : -)#

Thank you guys, for your replies!

We're dropping the indoor range for the summer, but comes Fall I'll probably reach out if I need to clarify anything on your suggestions!

We're dropping the indoor range for the summer, but comes Fall I'll probably reach out if I need to clarify anything on your suggestions!

Where in PNW are you? We have a indoor Tues night match and we've been using the Newbold plates for a few months. They work great. The match is in Everett if you're anywhere close. (we just ordered some poppers, so it remains to be seen how well they work).

Where in PNW are you? We have a indoor Tues night match and we've been using the Newbold plates for a few months. They work great. The match is in Everett if you're anywhere close. (we just ordered some poppers, so it remains to be seen how well they work).

Oh, thanks for the invite, I'm in Vancouver BC, I do make it to Custer, Marysville and Renton Sunday matches, but attending a match on a weekday would be a challenge for me. ;)

AS mentioned above, Hollow Points will tear these up fast. We tried them for our indoor matches. Just wouldn't last long enough to warrant the cost.

We just outlawed hollow points on the plates, competitors will load up a RN mag to use on that part of the stage. Makes a big difference.Everyone was cooperative about it.