Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hollow point vs ball

gunner40sw

I use to use a 180 gr jacketed truncated cone in 40 caliber. When I switched to a 180 gr jacketed hollow points the accuracy improved. Both bullets were the same brand Zero's. So now I was thinking of doing the same with 45 acp loads only in 230 gr. Anybody have any oponions on this does the accuracy improve when you use a hollow point.

I'm no expert, but I think in many cases it does. My 45 does not like 185 gr LSWC in any profile, yet it shot Nosler 180gr JHP Competition bullets quite accurately. The 200gr LSWC and LTC that I almost always shoot are just as accurate, as is the 230gr LTC.

My 40sw does not seem to like lighter bullets. The lighter, the worse performing. It does very well with 175gr and shoots the lights out with 180gr. However, the Xtreme 165gr Heavy Plate, Conical Base Hollow Point shoots extremely well, and better than I expected. I think that in lighter bullets, the larger bearing surface of a hollow point helps to stabilize them better.

Another factor in "jacketed" HP's being more accurate is that they are made in reverse from

non HP bullets... The jacket HP is formed leaving the top open and then "filled" with

lead wire and pressed. The base is the "steering end" of the bullet was formed perfectly

square during the process and leaves the barrel crown the same way...perfectly.

That is also why the barrel crown is uber important.

Also, for the same bullet weight, JHPs generally have a longer bearing surface, and are longer overall. I've heard of no one that gets the same or worse accuracy from JHPs compared to any solid bullet in the same weight. JHPs are enclosed at the rear, making for less lead contaminate in the air and less smoke too.

1) All my .40s do their best with 145-155gr L-SWCs. 175gr L-SWCs are close. Haven't shoot any jacketed (can't really afford 'em) and don't want to waste money on plated.

2) In all my guns, bullet accuracy is:

L-HBWC (.32 S&W Long and .38 Spl)

JHP/L-SWC

TC: conical or round

RN

3) One would think that like darts and arrows, one would want the CG to move forward for accuracy, but JHPs say just the opposite.

A perfect base is more important to accuracy than a perfect tip..true.

No one has mentioned yet....

Hollow point projectiles are the best of both accuracy worlds...comparatively longer (stable) and lighter (faster).

Granted pistol rounds are not enduring the long flight that a rifle round will, but there are definite benefits to a longer projectile. Increased bearing surface could help too.

Edited by Yeti